Sponsored

AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
I assume the colors did not change for 2019?
Sponsored

William Hays

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 1985 CJ7
Occupation
Retired
Looking for the Aux Switch Fuse #'s and locations. Do these switches operate mechanical relays or are they solid state semiconductors?

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Post #42 lists the Fuse number.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
So not to be "that guy", but we've made it 4 pages and nobody has mentioned it.
The color/descriptions on the first post don't match.

wiring conflict.jpg

Notice in the photo it shows Aux 3 Pink with orange stripe, yet the text associated to the same post says Ignition Accessory is Pink with orange stripe. I color coded my circles with orange/pink to match the wire descriptions. Notice the conflict.

So I theorize, based on deductive reasoning, that the correct description is the text, not the photo. If you notice Aux 1, 2 and 4 all have a pink stripes. It then makes sense to assume Aux 3 would also be marked with a pink stripe.

That said, I noticed this because I'm going to wire up some lights and was planning on using Aux 3 to control them. As a result I was paying closer attention to that particular wire description. I'll post again later to verify which wire is correct, but I'm pretty sure it's the orange with pink stripe. Anyone able to verify that?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Shots

Using the engine compartment Aux wire bundle... the wire in that bundle that has ORANGE color, is Aux 3 / 15 amp.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Shots

I see you are preparing for your install and thinking it through ahead of time. That is a positive move.

DO think over what ground point you will use. Actually, think multiple ground points you could use in case one you think will work will not.

I have had a few guys PM or call me while they were in the process of doing the install... they could not get their light set working and their issue, all went back to a ground point..... that was no good, iffy, intermittent.

I pointed out a ground point or two, early on in this thread. Some guys have found the ground points worked and a couple of guys had issues with them.

At the ground point, do clean off all paint, etc..

Do use a ring connector and not just wind wire around a ground point bolt.

Best bet is to verify with a tester that your ground point is aok .... do this before you do your actual light set install.

You can use a 12v tester to test or just use say an old 12v trailer lamp receptacle or similar.

Point of this post is to let you and other's know that ground points, can often be lets say, a tiny stumbling point during an install using the Aux wires. YOU may be aware of what I just mentioned buy many are not aware of same..

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Great tip thanks. Unlike other installs I've done before, this time I bought a terminal lug for the ground. It should give me an easy, and effective way to make the connection.

Using the engine compartment Aux wire bundle... the wire in that bundle that has ORANGE color, is Aux 3 / 15 amp.
That sound like it matches what I suspected. Orange with pink will be Aux 3, 15 amp wire.

ttsquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I am wiring a Cobra CB and I would like to use the wires under the footwell. I have been told in the past that the only right way to wire the CB was to connect it directly to the battery through the firewall. Would it be safe and appropriate to use the battery wire and ground in the passenger side as pictured above? I will only have the cb radio on and in the vehicle with me when wheeling or traveling.

Another question I have with regards to the all in one cb unit is placement. I have seen multiple people zip tie the little brain to the 2 angled pipes to the left of the glove box. This seems dangerous to me as these were very hot when I felt them after 30 min of cooling time. I zip tied mine to the plastic vent to try and keep it away from the heat of these pipes. Am I being paranoid? Is the plastic duct work ok for a mounting point?

I was hoping to do the same thing.

Anybody with more knowledge than me with any advice?

thanks

TTS

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Just an update. I installed my lights a few days ago. As suspected the orange wire with pink stripe is the 15 amp lead for Aux 3. I mounted a terminal lug to the vacant post by the battery for the ground. I really like that Jeep was smart enough to put an accessible ground point, and pre-wired switches in the JL, even if it is an option. It made the process so much easier than trying to find a good place to make connections and/or splicing wires. Well done Jeep. :clap:

bmrrwolfe

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2005 Grand Cherokee
Maybe a stupid question but its been quite some time since I have wired lights, but this eliminates the need for a relay, as its built into the harness correct? So its as simple as a connection for power off the wiring harness to whatever switch number/color you choose, and the ground wired back to a grounding lug.

Now what about wiring in a small powered sub, would the 40A, switch set to power on with the vehicle, be enough to power a 8" Kicker or Infiniti say 100-150W? That would really simplify the wiring and just require splicing for the speaker level input.

Sponsored

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
I am wiring a Cobra CB and I would like to use the wires under the footwell. I have been told in the past that the only right way to wire the CB was to connect it directly to the battery through the firewall. Would it be safe and appropriate to use the battery wire and ground in the passenger side as pictured above? I will only have the cb radio on and in the vehicle with me when wheeling or traveling.

Another question I have with regards to the all in one cb unit is placement. I have seen multiple people zip tie the little brain to the 2 angled pipes to the left of the glove box. This seems dangerous to me as these were very hot when I felt them after 30 min of cooling time. I zip tied mine to the plastic vent to try and keep it away from the heat of these pipes. Am I being paranoid? Is the plastic duct work ok for a mounting point?
BUMP

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
In addition to the above - one more question please. I will be installing both a CB and a HAM radio setup inside the cab. Routing to ignition power is easy enough. Question is, may I connect both units to the ignition power lead provided. Two parts to that question - do we suspect a current issue with both (knowing both would rarely if ever be in transmit at the same time), I think that's just a math problem, and second, how would one physically attach both those leads securely? Is there such an animal as a splitter butt splice? Thanks in advance!

BBDOC

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 5-Series, Honda Civic, Honda Minivan
I ended up using the battery wire in the passenger footwell and grounded to the frame. I have no problems at all except when my RSE step goes up or down. I think the step wires are close to the cb wire I ran from the back. Only a Second of static. Otherwise, it does extremely well. I zip tied it to the vent, away from the hot pipes.

BAA82B92-D5A6-48DF-99B7-B10805A9457A.jpeg

39DD677A-3182-42A2-8EC9-6A517BCBC22B.jpeg

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
In addition to the above - one more question please. I will be installing both a CB and a HAM radio setup inside the cab. Routing to ignition power is easy enough. Question is, may I connect both units to the ignition power lead provided. Two parts to that question - do we suspect a current issue with both (knowing both would rarely if ever be in transmit at the same time), I think that's just a math problem, and second, how would one physically attach both those leads securely? Is there such an animal as a splitter butt splice? Thanks in advance!
Thinking of wiring my Ham to the interior footwell and ground as well. I wired my CB directly to the battery and under hood ground. Now thinking this through a bit.

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
I ended up using the battery wire in the passenger footwell and grounded to the frame. I have no problems at all except when my RSE step goes up or down. I think the step wires are close to the cb wire I ran from the back. Only a Second of static. Otherwise, it does extremely well. I zip tied it to the vent, away from the hot pipes.

BAA82B92-D5A6-48DF-99B7-B10805A9457A.jpeg

39DD677A-3182-42A2-8EC9-6A517BCBC22B.jpeg
Thank you VERY much for the detailed reply and the pics - always helpful.
Sponsored