Sponsored

Will snorkel interfere with fold down windshield?

Gandersonsays

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon
Hey all,

Looking at the way the JL's windshield has been engineered, I'm wondering if we'll still be able to fold the windshield down after fitting a snorkel or some roof racks. Has anyone given this any thought?
Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I would presume that whoever is designing the JL snorkel will make accommodations for this.

Then again, how much driving you think people are doing that both requires the snorkel and does not require a windscreen in place? ha ha

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I would presume that whoever is designing the JL snorkel will make accommodations for this.

Then again, how much driving you think people are doing that both requires the snorkel and does not require a windscreen in place? ha ha
Or how many people with a snorkel actually waterproof everything in the engine bay? With all of the electronics in there that’s no small feat.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
I agree. I don't think you can use an existing JK snorkel, and a JL specific one would be designed to accommodate the windshield and the hood.

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
Even these guys didn't lower the windshield. Maybe if they did it would have lowered the water resistance...

Sponsored

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Or how many people with a snorkel actually waterproof everything in the engine bay? With all of the electronics in there that’s no small feat.
I wonder if this guy has?

2dty8lu.jpg

BTW, this might be the kind of guy that then comes here complaining that his hard top leaks, with a back ground choir of Gregorian chants echoing "Lemon Law".

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I wonder if this guy has?

2dty8lu.jpg

BTW, this might be the kind of guy that then comes here complaining that his hard top leaks, with a back ground choir of Gregorian chants echoing "Lemon Law".
Lol. Mostly I just laugh at guys that bolt on a snorkel and think they’re ready to ford the river.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I remember the day when I killed my AX-5 deep fording a puddle in the woods. Ah, just like the commercials... wait, it wasn't deep nor was it like the commercials. It was a puddle - and the Jeep transmission sucked in water through the case vent.

I fondly recall the dealer telling me I needed a rebuilt tranny now and that you can't do what you see in the commercials.

The ESD motor died in my JKUR when it got too wet over time. Once that died, it caused my computer to go Charley Manson and kill my Jeep at random times.

I need a snorkel.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I remember the day when I killed my AX-5 deep fording a puddle in the woods. Ah, just like the commercials... wait, it wasn't deep nor was it like the commercials. It was a puddle - and the Jeep transmission sucked in water through the case vent.

I fondly recall the dealer telling me I needed a rebuilt tranny now and that you can't do what you see in the commercials.

The ESD motor died in my JKUR when it got too wet over time. Once that died, it caused my computer to go Charley Manson and kill my Jeep at random times.

I need a snorkel.
I don't think a snorkel is going to help prevent the issues you described.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gandersonsays

Gandersonsays

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon
Yep

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Remember, that the snorkel is not just about water fording depth, it moves fresh air intake up to get it into clean colder air which improves engine performance.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
As long as you don't go past your headlights you shouldn't need a snorkel...

creek.jpg
Sponsored