Sponsored

Will snorkel interfere with fold down windshield?

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Basic pipe design. Bends, etc cause resistance which in turn causes loss in flow speed.

The test on a roller isn't helped by the lack of the snorkel moving at vehicle speed essentially forcing air into it.
Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Air from outside the engine compartment is certainly cooler than the air inside the engine compartment.
Sure. But plenty of air is forced into the engine bay when moving too. So the warmer air from the engine and radiator is displaced by cooler air entering through the grill and from under the engine.

At a crawl? Obviously not.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Its because the engine is FI, and then not only does it have to be pulled through the snorkel, but that rig has an air to air intercooler so its running the air through the intercooler piping before even hitting the engine. Thats probably close to 10 feet or more of piping for the air to travel through prior to hitting the motor.

On FI applications the shorter intake piping the better. On the NA application the cooler air from a snorkel will make a difference but it will be very small.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'll admit that I bought mine more for looks than function. It's literally the only thing on my JK that doesn't totally change its capability, but regardless of whether or not you seal your electronics to give your Jeep submarine-like superpowers, moving the intake up high just to avoid seemingly harmless water splashes that can cause hydrolock is never a bad idea. How many stories have we heard or seen on YouTube where some guy who wasn't plowing through a puddle still managed to suck in some water and kill their engine?

Likewise, especially up here in Colorado where just getting to a trail involves eating a shitton of dust, you really do get a little extra confidence out of the engine. No, you aren't going to gain any horsepower or reduce the laughable 0-60 times, but up here at over a mile above sea level, having that slightly cleaner and cooler air does make a difference. And even with the intake literally outside of the engine bay, my air filters last much longer since I installed the snorkel.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
The MOPAR snorkel is not attached to the A pillar so the windshield should be able to be folded down.

Sponsored

NavyNick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR & '08 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. Three whole pages of nobody actually answering the question...lol. And most of it is an irrelevant discussion.

We can all see from the pictures that the hardware attaching it doesn’t prevent the windshield from going down. The issue is does the window itself contact the snorkel of you tried to fold it down? Just like those Mopar lights that are mounted on the hood, I’m already not a fan of how large the mounting hardware is, but it certainly looks like the window would be resting in the lights if you tried to lower it.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Wow. Three whole pages of nobody actually answering the question...lol. And most of it is an irrelevant discussion.

We can all see from the pictures that the hardware attaching it doesn’t prevent the windshield from going down. The issue is does the window itself contact the snorkel of you tried to fold it down? Just like those Mopar lights that are mounted on the hood, I’m already not a fan of how large the mounting hardware is, but it certainly looks like the window would be resting in the lights if you tried to lower it.
The JL wasn't out yet when this discussion started. Pictures alone don't always provide definitive answers.

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
As long as you don't go past your headlights you shouldn't need a snorkel...

creek.jpg
Tell this guy that:

Although he didn't help the situation the way he drove through it, it was way below his headlights and he still hydrolocked the engine.

I want one, not for the "increased" water fording ability, but as cheap insurance against Murphy's Law :like:
Sponsored