Sponsored

Does Mopar Snorkel attach to windshield?

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Is this thing attached to the windshield frame at all? It does not seem like it, but these shots could just be photoshop magic. I really cannot imagine a two feet piece of plastic sticking straight into the air being the wisest of ideas. I'm sure they were thinking they did not want to hinder the .000001% that will actually put down their windshields. They could have added one support, and mentioned that if installed, one extra bracket had to be removed before you lower the windshield.

Hopefully AEV will update their snorkel, but maybe not since MOPAR already has one.

2560_3000-5-jpg.jpg

2560_3000-3-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
There was another thread about this. IIRC there is no attachment point other than attaching to the CAI (cold air intake) under the hood. I’m going to the Cleveland Auto Show this week hoping to confirm this. Will post update.

Edit: According to Jeep representatives at the LA Auto Show reveal if you have the snorkel installed in the factory it will be covered under factory warranty though. (Source: )

Last edited:

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Zooming in on the second photo...there appears to be a black bracket attaching the snorkel just behind the Jeep medallion. I am planning on ordering a factory-installed Mopar snorkel. A black strap could be made, to extend from the optional light bracket to the snorkel. Or a bracket from the window frame (pillar) to the upper portion of the snorkel. I am sure that an aftermarket attachment bracket will be available quickly.
A followup question...has anyone removed the Rubicon decals off their JL? If I get the snorkel...the passenger side will already be lacking the Rubicon decal..might as well remove the drivers' side.

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to install the snorkel do you have to cut a hole in your hood?

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect

Sponsored

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 11.48.21 AM.png
Attaches to this bracket.

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest, serious water-fording in a vehicle filled with computers just isn’t very smart.
Yeah I think I'll be sticking to the shallow end of the pool...

Sponsored

Merica!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully JLU
Occupation
Future breaker of JL Wrangler parts!
I probably wont be getting a snorkel anytime soon but there are benefits to running a snorkel besides just fording water. Such as if you are in a dusty environment where the height of the snorkel brings cleaner air into the engine. This also extends air filter life as well.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Grab a deuce and a half if you want to do water fording.

There's been a fair bit of confusion over the snorkel. The Mopar guy at the LA Auto Show made it very clear you could have it installed as a factory option (or a dealer, or do it yourself) but no one seems to know how to get it done at the factory.

Wranglerjlurubicon27

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Is this thing attached to the windshield frame at all? It does not seem like it, but these shots could just be photoshop magic. I really cannot imagine a two feet piece of plastic sticking straight into the air being the wisest of ideas. I'm sure they were thinking they did not want to hinder the .000001% that will actually put down their windshields. They could have added one support, and mentioned that if installed, one extra bracket had to be removed before you lower the windshield.

Hopefully AEV will update their snorkel, but maybe not since MOPAR already has one.

2560_3000-5-jpg.jpg

2560_3000-3-jpg.jpg
I'm still debating if I should order one and installed it.

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
Has anybody seen one on a new jl yet ? I wouldn't mind trying this with the CAI to see if it bumps up the mpg.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
If you want to install the snorkel do you have to cut a hole in your hood?
If you have time watch this video about the moab concept J Wagon. They discuss the hood (with real vents) and the snorkel hole will come already cut which will be available hopefully soon!

Sponsored