DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I saw in the top part of the forum a pic of a JL with a snorkel, and no, it wasn't the Mojito Mopar show Jeep. Has anybody received and installed the Mopar snorkel yet? I'm curious about wind noise and room to allow the windshield to fold. The pics I've seen show some space between the snorkel and A-pillar, so it looks like a good chance the windshield can still fold.

Can't wait to see one!
Sponsored

Magnetdragon

First Name
Erwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu!!
I pre-ordered mine though quadratec and their website says a shipment time frame of August. Mopar is probably still behind on getting those parts out but they are slowly getting them out there. From the angles I looked at, it looks like you can still fold the windshield down!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I pre-ordered mine though quadratec and their website says a shipment time frame of August. Mopar is probably still behind on getting those parts out but they are slowly getting them out there. From the angles I looked at, it looks like you can still fold the windshield down!
Let me know when you get it. The windshield folding is looking good, so I'd love to see confirmation. I'd also like to know if the plastic is brittle or looks like it can take a few bumps. Also, does it look like there is provision or room for a dust seperator to go on top in place of the scoop? I read somewhere that it comes with a screen for the hood opening so that you can remove it and run it like a normal air intake, and then put it back on when wanting the snorkel. I can't remember where I saw that, though, so it might have been someone wishing for that.

I'm looking forward to see your thoughts on it! Do you have a link to it on Quadratec?

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Let me know when you get it. The windshield folding is looking good, so I'd love to see confirmation. I'd also like to know if the plastic is brittle or looks like it can take a few bumps. Also, does it look like there is provision or room for a dust seperator to go on top in place of the scoop? I read somewhere that it comes with a screen for the hood opening so that you can remove it and run it like a normal air intake, and then put it back on when wanting the snorkel. I can't remember where I saw that, though, so it might have been someone wishing for that.

I'm looking forward to see your thoughts on it! Do you have a link to it on Quadratec?
Quadratec link.

Sponsored

Sunin-Retired

First Name
Sunin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Rubi on order, 2013 Prius c, 1999 10th Anniversary Miata
Out of curiousity how deep can you go with a snorkel versus stock?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Out of curiousity how deep can you go with a snorkel versus stock?
Not alot. Jeeps tend to float when you get around the top of the fender. In moving water, that ain't good. Snorkels aren't really so much for water as they are for getting above some of the dust. I don't do deep water. I ruined my rings and pinions in my YJ from dorking around in deep water. I checked the diffs afterward and the gear oil looked fine. A thousand miles later, I had vibration and they were toast. There was just a little tiny bit of water in them. I should have changed them out, even though they looked fine. Anyway, my friends in South Africa and Kenya run snorkels to reduce dust ingestion. They aren't fond of water crossings deep enough for snorkels to matter. They have crocs there. Wouldn't want to get stuck in that kind of water.

Sunin-Retired

First Name
Sunin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Rubi on order, 2013 Prius c, 1999 10th Anniversary Miata
Not alot. Jeeps tend to float when you get around the top of the fender. In moving water, that ain't good. Snorkels aren't really so much for water as they are for getting above some of the dust. I don't do deep water. I ruined my rings and pinions in my YJ from dorking around in deep water. I checked the diffs afterward and the gear oil looked fine. A thousand miles later, I had vibration and they were toast. There was just a little tiny bit of water in them. I should have changed them out, even though they looked fine. Anyway, my friends in South Africa and Kenya run snorkels to reduce dust ingestion. They aren't fond of water crossings deep enough for snorkels to matter. They have crocs there. Wouldn't want to get stuck in that kind of water.
So if you were going to run dirt roads most of the time you would install one?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So if you were going to run dirt roads most of the time you would install one?
Yes, I would, if I was going to be on dry dirt like that alot. For places that are extremely dusty, like out west, yes. For where I live, probably not, although if we go through a dry spell, it can still get very dusty. The best setup for that would be with a dust separator, like AEV offers. It has fins inside that swirl the air and causes centrifugal force to spin the heavier dust particles out of the air before it goes in. You'll see some other snorkels with an older design dust seperator that has a clear housing that almost looks like a street lamp. Even without those, though, the higher intake grabs the air up higher, so the particles are smaller. I've sat up high in the back of a Landcruiser on an African Safari where we followed another vehicle on a dusty road. Being up high definitely helped. We didn't choke on the dust like the guys in the cab did. The snorkel was just a little lower than our faces, so I know it was getting cleaner air.

I've also seen people turn the air scoop around backward. I'd be curious if that reduces dust intake. I'm not really sure it would, but who knows? I've also seen people put a sock or piece of cotton over the scoop. I've even seen someone duct tape a small air filter or cabin filter to use as a pre-filter.

From what I've read, the one made for AEV is a commercial vehicle dust separator designed just like one they use on tractors and bulldozers. It is supposed to be the most effective. Google Jeep snorkel dust filter and see the images.

I'm hoping the Mopar snorkel has a removable scoop with a round hole so that I can mount a separator. Otherwise, when in Moab, I'll probably do the duct tape deal with a thin do-it-yourself pre-filter made from air filter element. I just have to see the size and shape of the opening. I can tell you this...unless forced with no options, my Jeep won't enter water any deeper than the 30" for which it is rated, even if there are no crocodiles.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at pictures of the Mopar snorkel, I'm wondering if it has two pieces. It almost looks like it connects at the corrogated part along the side of the hood. Google J-Wagon and zoom in on the pics. I also see that the scoop doesn't come off, so you could not use a centrifugal dust separator. I'm betting the ARB will have the ability to change to a seperator. Hmm.

Anybody get word yet on shipping date for these? If it is a one piece, I may consider the Mopar rather than wait for the ARB. I can always fabricate a pre-filter for the front of that scoop for really dusty environments.

Sponsored

Hellow0rld

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I inquired and here's the response i received. Anyone know what the AB revision stand for?

"8221530 Will be superseded to 82215350AB and will be available after Sept 20"

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Looking at pictures of the Mopar snorkel, I'm wondering if it has two pieces. It almost looks like it connects at the corrogated part along the side of the hood. Google J-Wagon and zoom in on the pics. I also see that the scoop doesn't come off, so you could not use a centrifugal dust separator. I'm betting the ARB will have the ability to change to a seperator. Hmm.

Anybody get word yet on shipping date for these? If it is a one piece, I may consider the Mopar rather than wait for the ARB. I can always fabricate a pre-filter for the front of that scoop for really dusty environments.

Personally I am waiting for the Rugged Ridge low profile snorkel shown by Quadratec at Sema (see link below about 3:18 into video) on the Rugged Ridgge orange jeep... It has matching colors, low profile, no cutting as it bolts onto the cowl, allows you to use the factory filter or an upgrade if you like, & finally it is designed to be a fully modular system that allows you to attach a full snorkel in those extreme cases when needed...

RuggedRidgeSnorkel_Quadratec_Exterior.JPG

RuggedRidgeSnorkel_Quadratec_UnderHood.JPG

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Personally I am waiting for the Rugged Ridge low profile snorkel shown by Quadratec at Sema (see link below about 3:18 into video) on the Rugged Ridge orange jeep... It has matching colors, low profile, no cutting as it bolts onto the cowl, allows you to use the factory filter or an upgrade if you like, & finally it is designed to be a fully modular system that allows you to attach a full snorkel in those extreme cases when needed...

RuggedRidgeSnorkel_Quadratec_Exterior.JPG

RuggedRidgeSnorkel_Quadratec_UnderHood.JPG
I called both Quadratec and Rugged Ridge on this product today... This particular product prob won't launch until May... The one shown at Sema was a prototype all done on 3D Printer... They are working on the final product now in order to tweak some of the design elements before launch... I am really interested in this product as I live in Central FL and even though we live in the hilly part of the state most of our wheeling is in swampy sandy areas so when it rains you don't know if that puddle/section is 1 foot or 4 foot deep... added some examples below and hope one day to make it out west...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=richloam+mudding

Last edited:

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Rugged Ridge is on point with their accessories. Useful upgrades while maintaining the factory looks of the vehicle. If the price and quality is good on all their products, they should sell like hotcakes. I'm interested in the fenders, snorkel and the tube doors for sure.

POL

First Name
Adrien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0T
Sponsored