Sponsored

Hard top wind noise

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I do not have the upgraded sound system but do have the mopar branded panels in the top, I don’t think they do much but maybe they do, also on the app you can choose DB-A, B or C but since it’s the non paid version you only can select A so not sure if there is a difference, maybe I will DL another one for a comparison
OK, I think that is what will make the biggest difference. You get the laminated glass and noise cancellation. That and some hothead headliners with sound assassin would probably get you down to 68-69, like a grand cherokee.

So glad I ordered the upgraded radio..it really is a no brainer. You get all that plus the Alpine system and the bigger display for like 1200 bucks.
Sponsored

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler unlimited sport s
With my radio up where I normally set it (which is on the loud side as I’m a metal head) it’s at 77db.

I don’t have my wrangler yet but I figured I’d give ya’ll something to compare to.
Thank you for the Durango comparison! I plan to check my wife’s Malibu to see what her Decibel readings are at highway speed!

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, I think that is what will make the biggest difference. You get the laminated glass and noise cancellation. That and some hothead headliners with sound assassin would probably get you down to 68-69, like a grand cherokee.

So glad I ordered the upgraded radio..it really is a no brainer. You get all that plus the Alpine system and the bigger display for like 1200 bucks.
I did not get the Alpine radio, i did get the Upgraded Uconnect 7 with CarPlay though. So I’m assuming I don’t have the upgraded glass? (I know the base JL sport that I drove this morning had the base radio and sound system.)

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not have the upgraded sound system but do have the mopar branded panels in the top, I don’t think they do much but maybe they do, also on the app you can choose DB-A, B or C but since it’s the non paid version you only can select A so not sure if there is a difference, maybe I will DL another one for a comparison

Also found this as a reference

4D313EC3-E181-4DBA-AE64-4271F8D9F3A2.jpeg
I’m glad I have someone else’s to compare to! Thanks @WranglerMan.

This evening I began in untaping the tape job and driving a couple miles every seam. It wasn’t until I removed the tape from the top of the window frame that covered the windshield—freedom top seal that I noticed any change. I felt like it was slightly louder; but not much. The dB app didn’t even catch a difference.

In my personal opinion (bear in mind I am a firefighter, not a scientist,) air has to take the path of least resistance, and so creates noise when there is an interruption in the flow path. I feel as if the seal from the windshield to the freedom panels will created a wind turbulence by design, simply because on the JL, there is a metal frame, seal, and hardtop panel intersection, where on normal vehicles, the windshield is glued into the window frame and the body panel continues uninterrupted into the roof and pillars.

Since I don’t own a JK it’s hard to compare apples to apples. I only recal test driving them, and I felt as if the “wind noise” was quieter. Maybe the ambient noise is that much more in a JK that the wind noise is less noticeable, and/or the front windshield may have a more streamlined connection with the freedom panels.

@kre62 thanks for the info as well! I guess my next step (since I have basically zero faith left in my dealer to investigate the issue) is to buy some hothead headliners with the sound Assassin strips. Maybe the wind is more pronounced in my JL since I don’t have headliners to deaden the noise.

3EDC4988-767B-40A0-9368-90A14F191A15.jpeg

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I did not get the Alpine radio, i did get the Upgraded Uconnect 7 with CarPlay though. So I’m assuming I don’t have the upgraded glass? (I know the base JL sport that I drove this morning had the base radio and sound system.)

Yeah you dont have the glass and noise cancellation. Its on the 8.(4?)” model. Its the electronic infotainment group option.

The Wrangler will never be as quiet as a fixed roof. For a convertable its pretty good though. But if you are trying to get it to grand cherokee levels you may be disappointed. Youll forget all that when you take the top off and cruise around.

You may want to go test one with the upgraded system to see if it makes enough difference to you to keep at it.

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the upgraded infotainment with acoustic glass and active noise cancellation? I bet its much quieter with that setup, maybe the 71db we heard from the other guy.
I have that and nope, wind noise is still extreme on mine

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I will do a few sound tests this morning with two separate apps going to work, at 03:30 there is not much traffic on the road so we will see what happens get

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well I did my ride into work and had the cruise set at 65 mph with nothing on like radio, a/c etc and did two separate tests with two separate apps

66D1D212-0A60-46C9-B7D3-509EF6CFF48C.png E746F0EC-FE19-4D12-A45C-22679AC9AF00.png

And here is the second test

2AA7A997-4D4D-4E50-B8BA-82C645BF6A2A.png B8F36BD0-6981-4367-BF65-E0842461EC79.png

So with my very non scientific tests I have figured out that a JLU Wrangler is not a BMW or other luxury vehicle, don’t get me wrong I’m not gonna sell it due to some wind noise I just have to realize that this is a vehicle that was meant to be off road and since the doors, windshield and top all can come off there will always be a chance air can get by these seals and make noise, I have never driven or owned an older JK so can’t compare and I cant really remember what my. CJ5 ragtop sounded like back in the 80’s but I’m sure it was louder than this and I also need to realize that I have only driven vehicles that were not in the convertible catorgory.

I will follow those that are looking for a fix and will be glad to try a fix and see what happens, I have looked and all the door seals and they all look good and when my sunshade gets here I can look at the windshield seal and see if it looks good and that may be in the next week as my sunshade has shipped.

sm16

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi, 2016 BMW X6M
I tested it this morning using the Decibel Meter app and I got an avg of 66 and 70 on two different runs going 72mph on a highway with moderate traffic. I personally don't think my Jeep has the wind noise people are complaining about. I do hear the wind at higher speeds, but it doesn't really bother me. I have the upgraded windshield and the Mopar Headliner. I'll test my BMW tomorrow to see the difference.
Hope that helps.

Go4aRyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, FJ Cruiser, JLUR
Here’s where I’m at today.

After getting the jeep back from service, I took the liberty of taping off every conceivable seam in and around the front windshield frame and front door seals, as well as the top freedom panels.

After crawling through the backseat, I drove it about 15 miles; I live in Kansas and it’s moderately breezy all the time, maybe 8-10mph. I got up to highway speeds, and at 65mph I was reading 69-71 for decibel levels.

I felt as if there was a reduction in the whooshing noise, but there was still noticeable wind noise from the front windshield.

I’m no mechanic, or aerodynamic engineer, and I know Jeeps are like driving a brick down the road, but I still felt as if the sound was slightly louder than it should have been.

My next plan is to begin untaping, until the full wind whooshing noise returns.

48BF4630-F401-4AE3-BBC4-36841FE343F6.jpeg
Another source to consider is the rack rails(or drip rails) located above the door frames. Sometimes these small things generate unintended vortices that can generate a ton of “wind” noise. Still waiting on my delivery, else I would test it for you.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My wind noise isssue seems to shift, sometimes it sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side and sometimes the driver side, my avg dB reading seems to be 75, I have the standard Mopar headliners and sound system, I was looking at the gaps around the doors and windows and the gap on the passenger side where the windshield meets it they almost touch but the gap around the rest of the door seems very even and driver side is pretty much the same all the way around, I do have my Spiderweb shade JLKini I have to install which will require me to lift the windshield so that will allow me to inspect the gasket, I also have a bottle of 303 seal protectant that I plan on using on all the seals

sm16

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi, 2016 BMW X6M
I tested it this morning using the Decibel Meter app and I got an avg of 66 and 70 on two different runs going 72mph on a highway with moderate traffic. I personally don't think my Jeep has the wind noise people are complaining about. I do hear the wind at higher speeds, but it doesn't really bother me. I have the upgraded windshield and the Mopar Headliner. I'll test my BMW tomorrow to see the difference.
Hope that helps.
Closing the loop on this. So I tried again last night on the way home (it was a bit more windy out), and the avg rating was 74. I could definitely tell the difference compared to the morning drive. This was on the same highway, going the east at 72mph. I did the same test in my BMW X6M this morning, and it was much quieter at an avg of 62 - same road at 72mph. Obviously, I don't expect the Jeep to be as quiet as the bimmer, but at least we have a comparison point.

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Closing the loop on this. So I tried again last night on the way home (it was a bit more windy out), and the avg rating was 74. I could definitely tell the difference compared to the morning drive. This was on the same highway, going the east at 72mph. I did the same test in my BMW X6M this morning, and it was much quieter at an avg of 62 - same road at 72mph. Obviously, I don't expect the Jeep to be as quiet as the bimmer, but at least we have a comparison point.
This is something people need to get used to if they decide on any form of a Wrangler. It is a brick on wheels and a specific lifestyle. When one can flip down the windshield, take off all doors, and remove every aspect of the roof....I mean....that speaks for itself. The amount of seals and lack of traditional aerodynamic considerations goes out the window. Figuratively and literally.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I agree with you for the most part, however if you have viewed this thread and watched the videos there are some noises thatare not normal Jeep noises. What I now call the Door seal whistle is not a normal Jeep noise. It comes at around 70 mphs and usuualy in combination with some level of cross wind. This is why I stated, many pages ago, that before posting on this generically titled thread, please describe your particular noise I.E. 1.wooshing/rushing, 2.buffering/like a window is cracked, 3.windshield seal high pitch whistle/ rpm whistle and or mine 4. The door seal cross wind/70MPH's low pitch beep like sound. And for the record this is not my first Jeep.

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
I agree with you for the most part, however if you have viewed this thread and watched the videos there are some noises thatare not normal Jeep noises. What I now call the Door seal whistle is not a normal Jeep noise. It comes at around 70 mphs and usuualy in combination with some level of cross wind. This is why I stated, many pages ago, that before posting on this generically titled thread, please describe your particular noise I.E. 1.wooshing/rushing, 2.buffering/like a window is cracked, 3.windshield seal high pitch whistle/ rpm whistle and or mine 4. The door seal cross wind/70MPH's low pitch beep like sound. And for the record this is not my first Jeep.
Exactly. I'm in the same boat. 4th household wrangler (3 previous JKs-1JL). I'm fine with the annoying wind noise. Now that I'm running 35in cooper stt pros I hardly notice it. However a very strong cross wind will cause a whistle that is not "a jeep thing". For mine the cross wind has to be so strong that it actually moves the jeep in the lane in order for it to happen.
Sponsored