Sponsored

Is this Normal for the door handles?

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
Cable stretch isn't really the problem here. The cable is attached down in the handle assembly. The handle itself pulls a part that moves the cable. I suggested tightening the handle in case it is not fully seated, and flops around like that.

Now if the assembly needs to be replaced. Let the dealer do that for a warranty claim.
Sponsored

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
My 2018 does it. I just thought it was normal Jeep lack of quality. Not worried about it, the door handles have not fallen off yet.
Same mentality here. Not to mention the wear from kids opening the doors. They're little but pull open the doors with the force of Thor. I try to be quicker than them hitting the unlock button before they can get in. Sometimes they're faster and that was what I assumed was making my handles this way as well.

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
Same mentality here. Not to mention the wear from kids opening the doors. They're little but pull open the doors with the force of Thor. I try to be quicker than them hitting the unlock button before they can get in. Sometimes they're faster and that was what I assumed was making my handles this way as well.
Same thought, logic and process with me... my three year old is damn quick on the door draw picking him up from daycare. I think it's a game to him at this point; he gives a little side glance and a smirk whenever he gets it. And with his height being so low the angle between the handle and angle of pull on his arm is 30 degrees +. I haven't checked mine since reading this thread but wonder if it is indeed on purpose.
In the second video, it doesn't seem to "loosen" until the handle is partially already pulled. Maybe some built in "give" for short folks opening the doors 🤷‍♂️

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Never noticed until this thread. Had to check, and all 4 of mine do it. If I never noticed it, it can't be a big deal.

G.

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
Was looking at my son-in-law's VW mini van this afternoon. It has the same style of handles our Jeeps do and it reacts the same way. I do not believe there is anything wrong with any of them. Its by design.

Sponsored

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda CRV, Ordered JLUR
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
I checked into this last night. I noticed the same thing and my 4 year old pulls it down and out at the same time since she is not tall enough yet to pull it perpendicular to the door.

I used a T20 and disassembled the handle. After the door handle was removed, you can tell that unfortunately this is how it was designed. There is not much support for the mechanism in the up or down direction to prevent it from moving in this way once the handle has been pulled separate from the door itself. I also checked to ensure the handle seemed to be seated properly. I found no other way I could maneuver the handle to seat it differently.

I am worried my kid is going to weaken it over time, but no noticeable degradation as of yet. Plus, as my youngest gets older when will of course do the same thing. At least when they fail we can swap them out easily for some sweeeeet chrome handles /s

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
This is totally normal. As far as “lack of quality”, have yall never owned a Chevrolet? Their door handles have been terrible for a long time.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Maybe someone with more engineering experience can weigh in on this, but I really do think it's an intentional thing. By allowing some give vertically it maybe keeps some of the plastic bits from snapping due to stress. If the handle could only move horizontally and a 4 year old kept yanking down and out on the handle I would think it would be more prone to breaking. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

crackofdawn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Mine definitely have some give (<1000 miles 2023 rubi) - not as much as OP, but not that much less. I always just assumed it was normal to allow a bit of flex. Unless it starts to get worse I'm not really that concerned.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Does tightening that T-20 screw pull the handle tighter against the door? Mine pulls away from the door quite a bit & exposes the hole pretty much. Or do you have to take the door panel off to get behind there to tighten a bolt?
Jeep Wrangler JL Is this Normal for the door handles? IMG_2332

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
No the bolt pushes against the end of the handle block securing the handle in the bracket. That picture looks like the handle is not pushed forward into the bracket properly, or something os broken.
Sponsored