Nik H

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Hi all,

New Jeep owner here and have to say t is a FUN vehicle. This forum has proven very useful in understanding some of the little quirks I have run across but I have one that I haven't found here.

The headlight switch is set to AUTO. If I turn the windshield wiper on, the headlights go on after about 10 seconds and the intensity of the instrument panel decreases. This occurs even during the daytime. Sometimes it makes reading the screen a little difficult. I know I can force the intensity high by using the dimmer but that defeats the purpose of keeping the headlight switch set to auto.

Anyone notice this? Is it normal or can I adjust?
Sponsored

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Yes it's normal for the lights to come on when the wipers are on. Then panel goes dim anytime the lights are on. It's somewhere in the manual - I had the same question a while back. You should be able to override this by rolling the right hand dimmer wheel all the way up (page 69 in the '18 manual). At least that's how it works with my Sport. There's not much control though - either very dim or very bright.

OP
OP
Nik H

Nik H

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Yes it's normal for the lights to come on when the wipers are on. Then panel goes dim anytime the lights are on. It's somewhere in the manual - I had the same question a while back. You should be able to override this by rolling the right hand dimmer wheel all the way up (page 69 in the '18 manual). At least that's how it works with my Sport. There's not much control though - either very dim or very bright.
Thanks...as long as it is normal, it is OK.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Yes, there is actually a setting where you can enable / disable lights on with wipers

Sponsored

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
On many states it's law, wipers on, headlights on.
I'm driving a Compass loaner that doesn't have that feature and I miss it.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I bypassed this feature, it's useful for "real" rain, but in my case we don't get much and I typically only need intermittent wipers so bypassing it is less annoying :)

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I've been playin with this and it doesn't seem to work. Do the headlights need to be in the "Auto" Position?

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I've been playin with this and it doesn't seem to work. Do the headlights need to be in the "Auto" Position?
That seems to be the case for me. Also there is a short delay before the lights turn on.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
On another note, my auto headlight sensors barely work, it turns on during bright sunny days, might work for a bit after I park and start her again, then headlight comes on when I pass some building’s shadow or into a tunnel and it won’t turn off again for the rest of the day...

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
That seems to be the case for me. Also there is a short delay before the lights turn on.
Interesting, I looked in the manual and there is no mention of this. It's the law here and I'd be pretty pissed at FCA if I got a ticket because my lights aren't on but I have "lights on with wipers" checked. Think I'll just go back to using my headlights manually ;)

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
In California if your wipers are on your lights also need to be on. That law was passed a few years ago by the governor protecting us
Sponsored