JKS Quick discos without cutting tab

Bushfam5

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Has anyone used a long pin (something like this) for the passenger lower mount of the JKS disconnect in lieu of cutting the tab?? You would just pull the pin when disconnected. Dumb idea?? I've had the discos for a couple of weeks and just cant bring myself to cutting the tab. Why would Jeep put it there if it wasn't needed?

Thanks
Jeep Wrangler JL JKS Quick discos without cutting tab 1614030236130
Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I bought a set, but haven’t gotten around to putting them in yet. for $20 it seemed like a no brainer. I just don’t know if it’s going to make any noise.

I’ve been working a lot lately so i’ve put off installing anything for now unfortunately.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn’t figure out how to avoid cutting the tab, so I brought it to my local shop; they took care of it.

I didn’t want to do it, but it is less painful when someone else does the cutting... :LOL:

I don’t know what JKS was thinking to be honest. They shouldn’t require you to cut anything to install these things.

If I had known about the required cutting beforehand, I doubt I would have bought them. Same goes for Northridge 4X4, since they refused to take them back. Buyers beware.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Honesty I just do it the old fashion way. Get underneath and take out the bolts and tie them up with zip ties doubled to the little hole on the spring tower. Takes me like 5 minutes.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Honesty I just do it the old fashion way. Get underneath and take out the bolts and tie them up with zip ties doubled to the little hole on the spring tower. Takes me like 5 minutes.
same here. i used a cordless ratchet and an 18mm wrench. comes off in seconds. i use velco straps to hold them up.

Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
same here. i used a cordless ratchet and an 18mm wrench. comes off in seconds. i use velco straps to hold them up.
How’s the Velcro? I’ve thought about it but always worry it’ll come lose and I’ll damage something hence the double zip tie strategy.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

How’s the Velcro? I’ve thought about it but always worry it’ll come lose and I’ll damage something hence the double zip tie strategy.
i first used the kind for tying up wires. worked well a few times but got loose. yesterday one snapped at the narrow point where you run it through the loop. i also brought along a roll of velcro that you cut to size. so the width is consistent the whole length. i was able to run that much tighter and it didnt loosen up. if anything ill cut two strips per link. this helped when i was using plastic zip ties. one alone would break but use two and they work great. the velcro roll is probably 5' and was probably $5 on Amazon lol.

the real handy part is the cordless ratchet. this is the one i have. i got it on sale at Christmas time for $59. i use it on all jeep wrenching now. total life/time saver.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3...thium-Ion-Cordless-Ratchet-H38CPRAT/305713305

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
i first used the kind for tying up wires. worked well a few times but got loose. yesterday one snapped at the narrow point where you run it through the loop. i also brought along a roll of velcro that you cut to size. so the width is consistent the whole length. i was able to run that much tighter and it didnt loosen up. if anything ill cut two strips per link. this helped when i was using plastic zip ties. one alone would break but use two and they work great. the velcro roll is probably 5' and was probably $5 on Amazon lol.

the real handy part is the cordless ratchet. this is the one i have. i got it on sale at Christmas time for $59. i use it on all jeep wrenching now. total life/time saver.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3...thium-Ion-Cordless-Ratchet-H38CPRAT/305713305
I might have to try the Velcro when I’m out of zip ties. I need to get a ratchet like that. I keep telling myself to. I use a cordless impact but I think it’s the passenger side is not big enough to fit it. I do that side by hand.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone used a long pin (something like this) for the passenger lower mount of the JKS disconnect in lieu of cutting the tab?? You would just pull the pin when disconnected. Dumb idea?? I've had the discos for a couple of weeks and just cant bring myself to cutting the tab. Why would Jeep put it there if it wasn't needed?

Thanks
Jeep Wrangler JL JKS Quick discos without cutting tab 1614030236130
If you have some fabrication skills, you make a bracket similar to the one in the Metalcloak set here:

https://metalcloak.com/jl-front-sway-bar-quick-disconnect.html

I have the Metalcloak disconnects and they work well. The only downside is the passenger side is shorter than the drivers and the passenger side is a little harder to disconnect/reconnect...but it’s not too bad. Just an option you might look at...

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i cut the tab on my sport axles. and just cut the tab on my rubi axle i just put on the jeep. i dont regret it and never plan to use any other sway bar disconnects. I did how ever keep the cut piece just incase i need to weld it on for the sell of the axle. but the JKS quick disconnects are much beefier and good up to 4 or 5 " of lift, and rebuildable if i remember right

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bushfam5

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would really like to find a longer pin for the lower passenger side that would go through both brackets with a clip on the outside? Anyone done this have a lead on where i might find a pin?

Thanks

OP
OP

Bushfam5

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Issue resolved. I finally cut the tab and then had some beers!
Sponsored