Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
That’s why. AFAIK, those who have had issues with dealers warranting service are out of factory warranty but still under the corrosion warranty.
I could understand it being a problem being out of warranty if it was an isolated issue. It deff isnt isolated though. Thats the only reason i find it crazy. Ya know?

Im not trying to argue, its just madness that they cannot get it taken care of is all.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I could understand it being a problem being out of warranty if it was an isolated issue. It deff isnt isolated though. Thats the only reason i find it crazy. Ya know?

Im not trying to argue, its just madness that they cannot get it taken care of is all.
Right? It’s well know and well documented. They have multiple TSBs for it too. One could just try to understand what goes on when FCA makes the decision to warranty it or not.

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Technically this could be classified as a safety issue, corrosion around the hood hinges could lead to something really bad if the steel bolts or hood deteriorate.

Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
So I picked mine up after a month at the dealership..... The only did one door and the hood. Didnt touch the passenger side door or the tailgate! I am beyond annoyed at this point. I talked to the service manager and i get to drop it back off in the spring when the paint shop slows down. There is also some nice divots in the area they painted. Anyone wanna buy out my lease? Haha

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Are people with 2021’s still having this corrosion issue? I just got hinge covers for my Jeep to protect against rock chips but I’m afraid of these covers trapping water in the hinges and accelerating the corrosion issue. Any thoughts are appreciated.

here are the hinge covers:JeCar Door Hinge Cover for 2018-2021 Jeep Wrangler JL & Unlimited (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D4HL1R...abc_FY2466ZFX5MWGQZMQACH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone found anything to do proactively? My 21 JLU is being built and I'd rather do anything I can to prevent this when it's new!
Unfortunately, I haven't found anything to prevent it. My jeep is washed regularly, kept waxed and stored in a garage. At first it was only around one of the passenger side hinges. Less than a year after the repair the corrosion returned and now it's also appearing on drivers side. So, it will will be going in for it's second repair next month. My jeep is just over 2 yrs old with less than 8k miles. I really wish I didnt have to have corrosion repaired almost as often as I need oil changes. :(

Sponsored

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
Are people with 2021’s still having this corrosion issue? I just got hinge covers for my Jeep to protect against rock chips but I’m afraid of these covers trapping water in the hinges and accelerating the corrosion issue. Any thoughts are appreciated.

here are the hinge covers:JeCar Door Hinge Cover for 2018-2021 Jeep Wrangler JL & Unlimited (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D4HL1R...abc_FY2466ZFX5MWGQZMQACH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I have those on my 2020. I've looked multiple times and not seeing any issues so far. If I didn't have these, there wouldn't be any paint left to bubble.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Has anyone found anything to do proactively? My 21 JLU is being built and I'd rather do anything I can to prevent this when it's new!
I think the only way to truly prevent it, Is you could take the hinges off and.....

#1 you could apply a primer/paint (maybe just on the hinge side as will be easier than trying to cleanly do it on the door, if diy’ing this (Or bring it to a shop but of course you’ll have to pay $$$ out of pocket for it) If you took this route would be wise to do every hinge than, or you most likely will be back.

#2 you could also try applying something like this was done to a JK

#3 Some how get FCA to address this stupid problem. Which would be any of the suggestions made that will help keep the 2 dissimilar metals from touching.

*Im not a mechanic so the things I’ve mentioned should be taken to with a grain of salt. It’s merely suggestions that would probably be the easiest solution.

FCA in 2015 started applying a gasket on the jk’s to separate the hinges from the door “touching” and it’s seems that worked. Than the jl’s came out and they didn’t bother. 🤷🏻‍♂️

but some claim they don’t have this issue. So you may be one of the lucky ones.

good luck.

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
I think the only way to truly prevent it, Is you could take the hinges off and.....

#1 you could apply a primer/paint (maybe just on the hinge side as will be easier than trying to cleanly do it on the door, if diy’ing this (Or bring it to a shop but of course you’ll have to pay $$$ out of pocket for it) If you took this route would be wise to do every hinge than, or you most likely will be back.

#3 Some how get FCA to address this stupid problem. Which would be any of the suggestions made that will help keep the 2 dissimilar metals from touching.

*Im not a mechanic so the things I’ve mentioned should be taken to with a grain of salt. It’s merely suggestions that would probably be the easiest solution.

FCA in 2015 started applying a gasket on the jk’s to separate the hinges from the door “touching” and it’s seems that worked. Than the jl’s came out and they didn’t bother. 🤷🏻‍♂️

good luck.
I suspect everyone will have the issue at some point. It starts very subtle and you almost have to have the Jeep really clean and in bright light or on a sunny day to see it in the beginning. Mine started with 1 spot on door near hinge now I have it in 8 spots. Hinges and doors. I have 2018. Didn’t start until about 2 years into my Jeep. It’s really a shame since I love my Jeep and have owned 5. Should be able to have a vehicle for 5 years without this kind of paint corrosion. And you know when it’s time to trade we will be penalized for it on the value.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA

good luck.
I know the hinges are different, but I’m assuming this process would be the same on a jl?