Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I agree.. however I've been watching videos of other catch cans on youtube this morning. I've never even CONSIDERED a catch can. It's typically a tuning issue. Mine's outputting the same amount of oil as other hemis and jeeps so it's a typical amount of oil. I really bought it after watching multiple videos of oil being sent thru the system at angles (many videos showing this occurring) to see if perhaps oil dilution was causing my ping and that was definitely the problem. Any 3.6l pentastar dyno tuners in the CO area? lol I don't even know if this ECM/PCM is locked.. I assume it is.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Could be, but in my many travels, CO, WY, MT, and ID have 85.5 octane versus 87 and have been told that higher elevations require less octane not more. Not sure...

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
What is a catch can? I googled it and it appears to capture oil which may damage you intake, valves, etc? Do this really work? I am ask because I love your explanations. I am not Mechanically inclined, but I would like to do whatever I can to preserve the longevity of my engine

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
There are many pages worth of discussion about catch cans on this website. Some people swear by them, others laugh at them. You won't get a definitive answer, bottom line.

OP
OP
Rodeoflyer

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What is a catch can? I googled it and it appears to capture oil which may damage you intake, valves, etc? Do this really work? I am ask because I love your explanations. I am not Mechanically inclined, but I would like to do whatever I can to preserve the longevity of my engine
This is a great synopsis.. if you understand Aussie lol

Sponsored

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue, 6sp. (SOLD)
I'm at sea level in Houston, Texas and it get a lot of pinging when slowly driving up a parking garage ramp or driving around a parking lot. Maybe I'll get a catch-can and see if it helps with my situation. The difference between filling up with 93 and 87 could eventually pay for the catch-can. I still occasionally ping on 93, too, but on 87 it's downright embarrassing how loud and often it happens.

Dealership response - "You've got a long warranty, keep driving the vehicle and if something goes wrong, we'll fix it then, but we'd rather not start tearing things apart at this stage."

@Rodeoflyer , what brand of can did you go with and would you recommend it?

OP
OP
Rodeoflyer

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the mishimoto catch can and it was TOTALLY ELIMINATED all all low speed pinging. I'm running 87 octane gas now and ZERO ping. There is without a doubt a fuel oil dilution issue with the stock crankcase vent.

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
I have the mishimoto catch can and it was TOTALLY ELIMINATED all all low speed pinging. I'm running 87 octane gas now and ZERO ping. There is without a doubt a fuel oil dilution issue with the stock crankcase vent.
Forgive my ignorance, but does installing one void your warranty?

OP
OP
Rodeoflyer

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd love to answer that question. From my investigation there is no crankcase vent valve. We've seen this on youtube videos. Oil is being sent through the intake. it's not something we can discuss... it's FACT.

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue, 6sp. (SOLD)
I've got the 3.6. I've thought about trying a different dealership, but after readings pages and pages of issues here and on other forums/sites, "It's supposed to do that" seems to be a popular response from them. I pretty much just stick to 93 and haven't worried much more about it.

More than likely.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rodeoflyer

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I want FCA to tell me that massive low speed ping... which I now KNOW is due to oil dilution, will void my warranty. This is same powerplant they use in all vehicles across the board... I get it. Jeeps need a better crankcase vent system.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at sea level in Houston, Texas and it get a lot of pinging when slowly driving up a parking garage ramp or driving around a parking lot. Maybe I'll get a catch-can and see if it helps with my situation. The difference between filling up with 93 and 87 could eventually pay for the catch-can. I still occasionally ping on 93, too, but on 87 it's downright embarrassing how loud and often it happens.

Dealership response - "You've got a long warranty, keep driving the vehicle and if something goes wrong, we'll fix it then, but we'd rather not start tearing things apart at this stage."

@Rodeoflyer , what brand of can did you go with and would you recommend it?
I agree with @TEXGOAT - find another dealer. There is clearly something happening there that should not be. I have "lugged" my engine pretty hard and not had any pinging on 87 octane (Shell) gas (even before the UPR catch can was installed) and I am also in the Houston area.
Sponsored