Sponsored

Best Setup for RV Flat Tow

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
There is an alternative to the Maximus 3 adapters you can purchase directly from Blue Ox, Maximus even gave me the part number, BX88303.
That Blue Ox number is just for the adapter that you put on the end of the Tow Bar - you still need something (baseplate, or bumper with tabs) to attach them to. The Maximus tow loops come with the adapter needed to attach the tow bar arms to the Maximus loops - no need for the BX88303 unless you buy an aftermarket bumper that has the tabs on them that these adapter pin to.
Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I'd be concerned the ropes are snatch-type - much more stretching before pulling than a safety cable. If the tow bar broke how far would the Jeep lag before those ropes snatched it back into the back of the coach?
All my safety cables I've ever had a have a hook on the end with a spring-loaded clip to hold them in the D-rings. Might look at CW for a Roadmaster set of cables - they have some that have a hook on one end and the link on the other (which could be clipped onto the coach hitch)...I have cables with hooks on both ends that Blue Ox vendors usually sell. You can also buy larger links that will still go through the cable but also go around the D-ring.
upload_2020-2-18_23-15-53.png
The Roadmaster cable had the hook, but it won't fit around the d ring. A larger link is most likely the best solution.

I hadn't thought about the slack issue...that is a good reason to avoid the roap. Thanks!

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
That Blue Ox number is just for the adapter that you put on the end of the Tow Bar - you still need something (baseplate, or bumper with tabs) to attach them to. The Maximus tow loops come with the adapter needed to attach the tow bar arms to the Maximus loops - no need for the BX88303 unless you buy an aftermarket bumper that has the tabs on them that these adapter pin to.
The tow loops do not come with the adapters, you must buy them separately. In the past you could buy them from Maximus 3 but they've been out of stock and unavailable for months now. The Blue Ox adapters are the (available) alternative.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
The tow loops do not come with the adapters, you must buy them separately. In the past you could buy them from Maximus 3 but they've been out of stock and unavailable for months now. The Blue Ox adapters are the (available) alternative.
Thanks for "edumacating" me - I thought my loops came with that adapter, but when I looked at the invoice this morning, I see paid extra for them. Appreciate the clarification - I just convinced a new JL owner to use the Maximus loops, so informed him that you said he'd have to get the adapters elsewhere.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I have found a D-Ring Shackle that will fit the Maximus-3 as well as fit inside the pre-made loop of the Road master safety cable.

This one is rated at a 4-ton working load limit and a 19.5 Ton breaking Strength. They also make a 1/2" version, but it is only a 2-ton working load limit. My assumption has been (and still is) that the working load limit is what I need to stay within, and not the breaking strength.

The problem I have with my assumption is the included Quick link 1/2 threaded connector.
7007930.png

These connectors are used normally to connect to the vehicle, but in my application, i am using this connector to fit to the RV. It doesn't really matter which end the connection is on, in an accident, they will be dealing with the same forces.

When searching amazon, the heaviest duty ones are made by Curt, the same OEM that provides BlueOx/Roadmaster their quicklinks.

This only has a workload limit of 3300lbs. I know that with 2 cables, the combined weight is within spec, but doesn't one need to plan for a single cable exerting 100% of the force? I cannot even find a breaking strength rating on these adapters.

These are in use in almost 100% of all RV Toad applications, so what gives?

Sponsored

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Tonight I was test fitting the Jeep behind my motorhome to see how the Maximus tow hooks would work.

I discovered an issue with the safety cable donnections. I had planned on using the D ring shackle going thru the loop of the safety cable. This won't work with my 5/8" shackle. The loop is too small.
I went to Amazon to find a solution for attaching the cable to the D ring shackle, and found this setup:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G85Q75J/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_NUltEbFPXSCV8
Screenshot_20200218-224005_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The specs look good, but something doesn't seem right using a rope for a safety connection. Is this a legitimate option?

What other options are there for attaching the safety cable? The cable has a loop on either end and typically uses a small quicklink, but that will not fit in the Maximus hole.
My safety cables (from BO) did not fit the Maximus tow loops or my D-rings, so I bought rated clips by Curt from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LOI69C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). I ended up skipping the D-rings completely and just using the clips on the end of the safety cables to connect to the tow loops. Tow bar to the upper holes in the tow loops, safety cables to the lower holes. I have this info in a previous forum post along with other info on the tow loop setup.

mwpncookeville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Stingray Gray
Did a test run with my JLUR this past weekend over roughly 200 miles. Everything worked out great! Attached is a photo of the hook up. Ignore the passenger tow bar extension being shorter than the drivers side. I had not yet locked them in by driving the MH forward. Ive got about a 2" rise from MH tow hitch to the Maximus-3 tow loops but Im ok with that. As long as its below 3" I feel comfortable. The JL felt great behind the MH with the exception of very minor input adjustments. On Friday Im going to dial in more caster on the JL and this should help.

All in all I'm extremely pleased with the set up! The best part is when its unhooked from the MH you can't see any of the tell tale signs of it being a toad. The breakaway switch is hidden along with the air brake line and wiring connector. Not to mention I didnt have to use one of those ugly base plates by Roadmaster or Blue Ox (sorry if I just offended your base plate).

IMG_1483.jpeg
IMG_1300.jpeg
That is Freekin' awesome! Love how the connectors and such are out of the way, and wouldn't be damaged going off road. We are planning to setup our "new to us" 2018 sport S as a Toad, and this is the most inspiring setup I've seen yet! Any after thoughts? Things you would have done differently in retrospect?

Planning to use the Ready Brute Elite tow bar, and the Maximus 3 Tow Loops. Thanks for sharing your setup!

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
You can make this work with a bit of finagling. The hook doesn't make it all the way to its thickest point. The problem is getting the spring loaded clip to clear and close. I took a grinder and did a little reforming of the clip so it will clear and close. Ultimately though I went to bow shackles.
I marked the Jeep ends with red tape to designate the modified ends. Since this photo was taken all the pins with clips have been replaced with pins and locks.
Since early reporting, this setup has about 5K miles on it and has worked well.

20181211_130141.jpg

20181219_132715.jpg

20181219_132741.jpg

IMG_8195.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TCFX68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

mwpncookeville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Stingray Gray
Nice clean install Dennis. Noticed you’re also in TN - at least some of the time. We are beginning about a 10 year transition to retirement, and the camper and the Jeep are the beginning of that new adventure! Thanks for the feedback!

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice clean install Dennis. Noticed you’re also in TN - at least some of the time. We are beginning about a 10 year transition to retirement, and the camper and the Jeep are the beginning of that new adventure! Thanks for the feedback!
East TN, Loudon County. Tellico Lake.
We try to be gone at least six months of the year. 2-3, 2 month trips.
Definitely no plans full timing for us, we like our sticks and bricks. A place to regroup and actually our back yard is nicer than most campgrounds.
30 miles to the Smokies and Cumberlands.

Sponsored

Mamacast

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
You can make this work with a bit of finagling. The hook doesn't make it all the way to its thickest point. The problem is getting the spring loaded clip to clear and close. I took a grinder and did a little reforming of the clip so it will clear and close. Ultimately though I went to bow shackles.
I marked the Jeep ends with red tape to designate the modified ends. Since this photo was taken all the pins with clips have been replaced with pins and locks.
Since early reporting, this setup has about 5K miles on it and has worked well.

20181211_130141.jpg

20181219_132715.jpg

20181219_132741.jpg

IMG_8195.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TCFX68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Please excuse a newbie's question, I am a little confused by where you are using the bow shackle. It looks like the Maximus tow loops host the tow bar arms and the safety cables, where is the shackle?

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please excuse a newbie's question, I am a little confused by where you are using the bow shackle. It looks like the Maximus tow loops host the tow bar arms and the safety cables, where is the shackle?
This should explain it. The shackle is where the safety cable is connected in this pic. I didn't like the cable going into the Maximus the opening was just a bit small or the cable connector was a bit too robust depending on the POV. It was just a bit of a PIA to hookup/took too much time.

20181219_133408.jpg

Mamacast

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
This should explain it. The shackle is where the safety cable is connected in this pic. I didn't like the cable going into the Maximus the opening was just a bit small or the cable connector was a bit too robust depending on the POV. It was just a bit of a PIA to hookup/took too much time.

20181219_133408.jpg
Thank you, I had been looking for the red color like the amazon link ;-)

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Just finished the maximum 3 tow loops install about three hours from start to finish.
I was teetering between the rock hard aluminum bumper and the Maximus 3, the Rockhard stubby bumper the way I want it set up with run me about $1,000, the only part that was holding back was winch placement, I don't like all that cool that being blocked on hot NM day.
Maximus 3 setup on the stock steel Rubi bumper allows for the winch to be recessed inside and provides a clear the air channel for the radiator. JMO

This is a straightforward install are they going to have to do ia use a c-clamp to hold the brackets in place when you put the spacer washer between the bumper bracket and the new maximus-3 to loop bracket.
IMG_20200208_091314.jpg
IMG_20200208_145703.jpg
IMG_20200208_145717.jpg
IMG_20200208_145711.jpg

It looks like you are hooking your safety chain to the Maximus, you should NEVER attached those chains to the same attachment point as the tow bar, that is the fatal flaw of the Maximus. You need to find another safety chain location not associated to the tow bar connection. If yor tow bar connection fails your safety connection is also likely to fail.
Sponsored