Sponsored

Best Setup for RV Flat Tow

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
It looks like you are hooking your safety chain to the Maximus, you should NEVER attached those chains to the same attachment point as the tow bar, that is the fatal flaw of the Maximus. You need to find another safety chain location not associated to the tow bar connection. If yor tow bar connection fails your safety connection is also likely to fail.
Interesting comment. I thought about that, but then also considered that pretty much everyone hooks the safety cables to the same hitch assembly on the coach that the receiver is connected to - if the hitch breaks free/comes loose, the safety cables won't mean a damn, just like of the Maximus bracket breaks free/comes loose. Since I take that chance with the coach receiver, I'll take it with the Jeep connection also. Curious - who here hooks their safety cables up to something on the coach that isn't part of the hitch assembly?
Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Interesting comment. I thought about that, but then also considered that pretty much everyone hooks the safety cables to the same hitch assembly on the coach that the receiver is connected to - if the hitch breaks free/comes loose, the safety cables won't mean a damn, just like of the Maximus bracket breaks free/comes loose. Since I take that chance with the coach receiver, I'll take it with the Jeep connection also. Curious - who here hooks their safety cables up to something on the coach that isn't part of the hitch assembly?
The same "Flaw" exists in every RoadMaster setup I have ever seen. Never had a Blue ox, but I assume they too have a single mount point to the car. I do not see this as a flaw, but rather a design for the purpose of a tow bar failure, which is more likely to occur than a failure of the mounting point.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
It looks like you are hooking your safety chain to the Maximus, you should NEVER attached those chains to the same attachment point as the tow bar, that is the fatal flaw of the Maximus. You need to find another safety chain location not associated to the tow bar connection. If yor tow bar connection fails your safety connection is also likely to fail.
The likelyhood of a properly installed tow loop failing would take a lot of zeros behind the decimal point to express mathematically, about the same as hitting a unicorn on the highway. There are four attachment points, two on the backside of the frame rail bumper mount plate. I'll not be loosing any sleep over it.

Tow bars do fail. One of the telescoping bars can come apart or welds fail on the towbar or the hitch.

Reactions: PSI

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
The likelyhood of a properly installed tow loop failing would take a lot of zeros behind the decimal point to express mathematically, about the same as hitting a unicorn on the highway. There are four attachment points, two on the backside of the frame rail bumper mount plate. I'll not be loosing any sleep over it.

Tow bars do fail. One of the telescoping bars can come apart or welds fail on the towbar or the hitch.

This is the problem these days people negligently feel invincible (it will not happen to me) when the risk factor does exist, my point was that there are methods of secondary safety connections available, the picture provided shows that they clearly use the Maximus for both tow bar and safety which does not provide redundancy. 1st Rule of towing is had a separate isolated safety cable connection.

For 15 years I owned boat dealerships with multiple locations, I have seen just about every towing mistake there is as well as the catestrophic results. It is the advice that start with "likelyhood of a properly installed tow loop failing" that facilitates negligence.

The fact someone criticizes someone for suggesting to use a secondary safety connection point is moronic.

Let me say I think the Maximus Tow connection is a great solution for towing just use common sense for the safety,

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The Maximus problem is how the point of failure can impact the point of safety cable failure (connection) If the the Tow bar itself fails or the receiver fails the safety connection on the RV is 3 layers removed whereas the Maximus with both so close and on the same piece of metal as almost one in the same. Those should not be conflated. It would be foolish to think that the receiver hitch on a Motorhome is the weak link.

Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I challenge you to post a single solution that is sold that uses a redundant safety point.
std_alpha_2_bundle.jpg

This is blue ox.
0002515_roadmaster-13-18-jeep-wrangler-crossbar-style-base-plate-kit-with-removable-arms-1444-3.png

This is Roadmaster.

Combined they are over 80%of all towbars used on the market.

Just for completeness here is the other major player
Screenshot_20200308-135025_Amazon Shopping.jpg

That is the demco.

All of them use a single point for towbar and safety bar.

You only have a single frame that you are pulling. There is only one place to connect to the frame.

The Maximus is 100% as safe as the others posted. It uses heavy duty bolts and much thicker steal than other tow bar base plates because it is meant to do more than they are. It is a jack lift point, a tow recovery point, and a towbar connection.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
This is the problem these days people negligently feel invincible (it will not happen to me) when the risk factor does exist...
Driving the thing presents infinitely more risk than any infinitesimal risk of the tow loop failing. Failure would require the very heavy thick steel loop to break or, four beefy bolts would have to fail, all at once, and/or the frame rail end would have to break off. Of course all of this after the initial failure of the tow bar, which will likely get your attention!

You must not get much sleep.

Reactions: PSI

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
Just wondering if your new 5th wheel has saftey chains? Or has that steel bumper on your jeep been tested to not effect the crumple zones? Side note. Both mounts in the maximus 3 tow system would have to fail at the same time to have no saftey chains.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just wondering if your new 5th wheel has saftey chains? Or has that steel bumper on your jeep been tested to not effect the crumple zones? Side note. Both mounts in the maximus 3 tow system would have to fail at the same time to have no saftey chains.
Yes the 5th Wheel has safety Chains that attached to a separate location. connected to the frame via the puck system.

Whether you think the Maximus will or will not fail is a mute point, it is just a no-brainer that safety cables should not be attached at the same point as the tow bar, otherwise what is the point of safety cables at all.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
There has also been some discussion here regarding towing Wranglers with Gasser Motorhomes whereas most Motorhomes have a Max Rating of towing 5000lbs, which means that most Rubicons with any mods will exceed that rating, My Sahara weighed in at 4900lbs, however 2 weeks ago down by the Salton Sea in California one of our relatives was towing their JK sport with their 2016 33' Southwind and the State was routing all RV's through the weight station. They exceeded the the GCRW Gross Combined Weight Rating and their Wrangler only weighed in at 4600lb, 400 below 5000lb towing limits however because the camping gear and their Black Tank was near full with some water on board putting them over the GCRW by 600 lbs. The Troopers required them to disconnect and drive the Jeep. They were told the State of California is cracking down on RV's and towables and should expect to see more of it in the coming months in other parts of California.

Be aware if you are towing a wrangler with most gasser motorhomes, especially a Rubicon with any modes you are likely over the 5000lb limit to begin with. If you go to a CAT Scale it cam measure the combined weights for you (cost $12), this is a good idea just so you know.

Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes the 5th Wheel has safety Chains that attached to a separate location. connected to the frame via the puck system.

Whether you think the Maximus will or will not fail is a mute point, it is just a no-brainer that safety cables should not be attached at the same point as the tow bar, otherwise what is the point of safety cables at all.
I would like to see how you are connecting that gives you a redundant connection. I have shown the 3 most popular tow bars. None have a redundant connection.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I would like to see how you are connecting that gives you a redundant connection. I have shown the 3 most popular tow bars. None have a redundant connection.

You are obviously not an engineer, those do have what would be considered redundancy in that the safety connection is not at the same connection point as the wow bar, the the tow bar connection were to brake the it would in no way impact the safety connection which is on a separate piece of steel 2-times removed from the tow bar connection. That dramatically increases the redundancy vs the Maximun ily an inch awray from the tow bar connection. Tow bar failure s are most likely to happen at the connection point at the the above Blue ox and Demco have the safety connection far removed from the connection point.

Does it not make you wonder why the Tow bar manufactures do not make a connection like the Maximus? and they reccommed the above style tow bars.

Look all I am sayin is add a safety connection away from the towbar connection since that is and has been the industry standard. If you are going to share the road please be compliant and safe.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are obviously not an engineer, those do have what would be considered redundancy in that the safety connection is not at the same connection point as the wow bar, the the tow bar connection were to brake the it would in no way impact the safety connection which is on a separate piece of steel 2-times removed from the tow bar connection. That dramatically increases the redundancy vs the Maximun ily an inch awray from the tow bar connection. Tow bar failure s are most likely to happen at the connection point at the the above Blue ox and Demco have the safety connection far removed from the connection point.

Does it not make you wonder why the Tow bar manufactures do not make a connection like the Maximus? and they reccommed the above style tow bars.
Look at my pictures again. They *ALL* use the same connection for tow bar and safety. *100%* do
Look all I am sayin is add a safety connection away from the towbar connection since that is and has been the industry standard. If you are going to share the road please be compliant and safe.
Lots of words from you...but nothing that is answering the question. Show one product that is better. Just one please...if you can find it :)

It may be helpful if you place bolts into the pictures mentally.

The single piece of metal attaches to the frame. It then attaches to the motor home and the safety chains. 1 piece of metal.

Sounds like Maximus 3 is better -- it is 2 pieces of metal.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Lots of words from you...but nothing that is answering the question. Show one product that is better. Just one please...if you can find it :)

Just did... In fact read back a ways some Maximus users are adding a separate safety cable connection. Are they also wrong

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just did... In fact read back a ways some Maximus users are adding a separate safety cable connection. Are they also wrong
I don't see what you are referring to. I do know that it sounds very dangerous to connect to something that is not attached to the frame. Since the maximus3 is attached to the frame, there not a good option to attach.

I sure hope they are *not* attaching to the bumper :(
Sponsored