Rear differential crap out

Alex12213

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Wrangler
My Jeep JL unlimited sport s currently has 16400 km on it and I had to bring it to the shop after is started making a noise in the rear every time I would take my foot off the gas. Dealer said they have to basically redo all the internals of my rear diff lol. Kind of said how jeeps are supposed to have rock solid diffs for off roading and my craps out with so few km and having done no off roading yet. Disappointed to say the least. Thank go for warranty. But guess I won’t be putting a lift or anything
Sponsored

TrewJL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
CEO
My Jeep JL unlimited sport s currently has 16400 km on it and I had to bring it to the shop after is started making a noise in the rear every time I would take my foot off the gas. Dealer said they have to basically redo all the internals of my rear diff lol. Kind of said how jeeps are supposed to have rock solid diffs for off roading and my craps out with so few km and having done no off roading yet. Disappointed to say the least. Thank go for warranty. But guess I won’t be putting a lift or anything
Any modifications to your jeep?

OP
OP
Alex12213

Alex12213

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Wrangler
Theres no reason at all for this. Sorry best of luck with the repair.
Thanks. Scared to do any mods now just in case something happens again and warranty gets challenged:/

Sponsored

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
Do you have the limited slip diff? I heard they can have problems early. Also I wouldn't worry to much since it should all be fixed under warranty.

OP
OP
Alex12213

Alex12213

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Wrangler
Do you have the limited slip diff? I heard they can have problems early. Also I wouldn't worry to much since it should all be fixed under warranty.
I don’t believe so

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
You might want to check if you have LSD. There is a known issue with Sport, Sport S and Sahara Jeeps with LSD. The clutches wear out prematurely. Rubicons don't use LSD do they don't have this issue.

Replacing the part is not a permanent fix since your dealer will replace it with one that is likely to wear out prematurely.

It is not clear when FCA will have a true replacement part available.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Its not all that uncommon over the great volume of manufacturing. Shimming a carrier is tricky business. Yr talking thousanths of inches for tolerance spec. Slightly off and the diff just wears itself out. Could just be a carrier bearing was faulty or pinion seal etc... its all good . Have them rebuild and youll be fine.

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
Did you change your gear lube in the diffs?

Sponsored

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
OP- if youre going to re- gear nows the time!
You probably get a discount too.

OP
OP
Alex12213

Alex12213

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Wrangler
You might want to check if you have LSD. There is a known issue with Sport, Sport S and Sahara Jeeps with LSD. The clutches wear out prematurely. Rubicons don't use LSD do they don't have this issue.

Replacing the part is not a permanent fix since your dealer will replace it with one that is likely to wear out prematurely.

It is not clear when FCA will have a true replacement part available.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/
So it’s likely to happen again:/.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Alex12213

Alex12213

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Wrangler
Why does this make you laugh out loud?
Because I thought Jeep diffs were tough. Built for off roading. Not breaking in 16400 km.
Sponsored