Sponsored

Rear differential crap out

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any chance the noise is related to backlash? Abruptly letting off gas and hearing a knock? Just wondering
Cause there’s no way our rear diffs were actually faulty right. We were just hearing things, operator error and the dealerships just replaced everything to shut us up. You’re hilarious bro
Sponsored

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Itchy is my middle name today. Don’t scratch it. LOL
I only ask because every Jeep as well as every truck I've had over 47 years has had a slightly noticeable knock when letting off the gas which is caused as a result of backlash and the leverage with the larger than passenger car tires...My new one does it as well

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I only ask because every Jeep as well as every truck I've had over 47 years has had a slightly noticeable knock when letting off the gas which is caused as a result of backlash and the leverage with the larger than passenger car tires...My new one does it as well
It was not just happening when letting off the gas at least for me. Constant rotational knock which got worse and worse. It could have been designed that way though right?

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Wow...Dana's building real winners then, LOL.

They have a design issue on the LSDs and people who aren't setting up the rear ends properly AND QC is apparently not checking R&P lash, pattern and pinion torque. That final check before cover install should be catching ALL of the set up problems.

Sounds like someone at the company isn't doing their job or a bean counter cut the inspection process down to increase profitability. Sounds about right for American automotive manufacturing. Wonder if they are a UAW plant.
You know they are a UAW plant LOLOL public enemy #1

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Mine started off fairly quiet but by the time I took it in people on the street would all turn to look when it did it. You could also feel the clunk through all through the jeep into pedals, floorboard, seats and steering wheel.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Mine started off fairly quiet but by the time I took it in people on the street would all turn to look when it did it. You could also feel the clunk through all through the jeep into pedals, floorboard, seats and steering wheel.
This is how mine developed. When people started to tell me they could hear I said enough is enough at that point.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I took mine in at 9500 miles. It had been making the noise off and on more or less since I got it. I had thought it was normal but it was starting to get louder so I figured I would have it checked out. When talking to the service guy after he finally heard it he said the had already done a few. I've only been out on forest trails, and park roads. Mainly because my insurance won't cover me if I'm not on a named road. So I just stick to anything with a name or number, so technically I haven't been "off road". I have the LSD also.

thanks , hopefully the new differential will be working fine

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Rear differential crap out
Wasn't this the name of a Bruce Springsteen song?