Sponsored

Yeti vs death wobble

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Did they put an attenuator on there as well? I haven’t seen that product for the JL yet, only the JK. Is that coming out soon?
Yes they did - and it is intended to correct snap oversteer - nothing to do with death wobble or steering shimmy. They must have used the JK part unless it islabelled incorrectly on their site. Thus my comment above - people will buy all the components they installed on one Jeep without really knowing the purpose of them or if it will fix their issues.
Sponsored

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Personally.... I would have changed one component at a time to determine where the problem lies.

We don't know and I would assume Steer Smarts has evaluated each component and determined the best approach to combat DW.
I do agree, most people just want the fix and really don't have or want an understanding to the why.
Drive thru mentality:headbang:

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
I just want to point out that a tie rod and a drag link are not a magical cure all for DW, just like a SS is not at all. There is no magic easy fix. It can help if you trace your steps into DW. I have a hard time believing all the stories of gramma only driving her stock jeep to church on Sunday's and she developed DW. In my experience its either from a combination of worn parts or part of correcting geometry and caster issues from lifting. Aftermarket control arms, tie rods and drag links are adjustable so they can be adjusted to get your geometry correct. Stock has no such adjustments. Stock components wear out, especially if you wheel. But even normal driving can wear out tie rod ends.

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
I just want to point out that a tie rod and a drag link are not a magical cure all for DW, just like a SS is not at all. There is no magic easy fix. It can help if you trace your steps into DW. I have a hard time believing all the stories of gramma only driving her stock jeep to church on Sunday's and she developed DW. In my experience its either from a combination of worn parts or part of correcting geometry and caster issues from lifting. Aftermarket control arms, tie rods and drag links are adjustable so they can be adjusted to get your geometry correct. Stock has no such adjustments. Stock components wear out, especially if you wheel. But even normal driving can wear out tie rod ends.
In addition to you excellent comments, the JL has been equipped with very light weight components to try to comply with CAFE standards for FCA. Which make them more susceptible to stress and fatigue.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
In addition to you excellent comments, the JL has been equipped with very light weight components to try to comply with CAFE standards for FCA. Which make them more susceptible to stress and fatigue.
I could cut the ends of the OEM front track bar off with a pocket knife and use it for a straw. It’s hollow and surprisingly light. The SteerSmarts bar that I replaced it with could be used effectively as an anchor for an aircraft carrier.

-NOTE: before anyone gets butthurt, this is clearly hyperbole. But not by much.

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
I could cut the ends of the OEM front track bar off with a pocket knife and use it for a straw. It’s hollow and surprisingly light. The SteerSmarts bar that I replaced it with could be used effectively as an anchor for an aircraft carrier.

-NOTE: before anyone gets butthurt, this is clearly hyperbole. But not by much.
Very true, all the aftermarket components i added were much heavier. Obviously jeep has to keep weight down for higher fuel economy or we wouldn't get a jeep at all.

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the steermarts tierod, draglink, and trackbar. Very happy.
Is the steering that much tighter? I have a 2dr Rubicon (6MT) and haven’t experienced any death wobble I actually think it drives really nice.

jeepauug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL MOAB - STING GREY
I like it. Drives very nice. I just installed 35’s and smooth and easy. I just went all in on the upgrade which may have been overkill - but no regrets. Worth it IMHO.

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU S24
Occupation
CIO
I have a bone-stock 2018 JLUS with 14k on the odo. I have not had a Jeep Wrangler-style vehicle since a CJ-5 in the late 70's. I have had several solid front axle vehicles, early Chevy Blazer and others...but not for a while. I'm not sure I am experiencing a "death-wobble", once I reduce speed (only happens above 60) and steer continuously to one side or the other, the wobble dissipates. But, it will not stop until I slow down and steer slightly to one side. I have had the "wobble" (I never feel like I am going to loose control of the vehicle, but the steering wheel shakes violently) last for over ten seconds, until I slow and steer to one side, just braking will not stop it.
I also understand that a SS is not required required for normal highway driving if all other steering/suspension parts are in working order. I ripped the SS off a '89 straight front axle Chevy Blazer and drove it without indecent for months, until I almost ripped my thumb off while stupidly holding my thumb inside the steering wheel as my right front tire hit a stump and tried to remove said thumb...I then mounted TWO steering stabilizers back to back.
On the Jeep I am on my third steering stabilizer. The original one lasted (and I am not saying the SS is the issue only that the dealer replaced it) 9k miles. The wobble began, the dealer replaced the SS. It took several weeks because SS was on national back-order. On a specific interstate bridge expansion joint I experienced the wobble every time (it also happened other places but every time at this one spot) until the SS was replace. Then with the replaced SS at the same expansion joint, I had no wobble. I assumed the problem was solved. Then, at 14k at the same expansion joint I began experiencing the same wobble, slight at first, then progressively worse. Now the dealer has replaced the SS again, citing they cannot find anything wrong...I also have video documenting the wobble. The third SS has resolved the wobble for now, but my confidence is not high that it will not return.
I had considered spending the money and throwing beefier aftermarket parts at the problem, but I plan on standing my ground and making them fix the issue. It's not like I saved money and purchased a used Jeep with worn parts...this is a new vehicle and FCA should make it function like one.

Sponsored

Wrangler-NS

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I am experiencing the death wobble. It started about a month after I had the dealer install the 2" Mopar Lift on my 2018 JLUS and 33" BFG K02's. It started subtlety with shake in the wheel back and forth over bumps. It got worse until I experience the full on death wobble as in the video. I experienced that twice and had to come to an almost complete stop on the road for it to stop.

The dealer said the stabilizer shock was leaking and couldn't find anything else wrong so they replaced it under warranty. The wobble went away for a couple of weeks but it is back again and I have to go back and have them look at it again. Not sure why the dealer is trying to band aid with a stabilizer as I'm sure they know it will only mask the problem and will get the snot beat out of it over time. Maybe they will keep replacing them until the vehicle is out of warranty?

I'll see what they say on the second go around but if they give me the run around then I'll probably replace the steering components myself because I'm not going to run my Jeep that way if I can fix it - dealer or not.

jipi

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have a bone-stock 2018 JLUS with 14k on the odo. I have not had a Jeep Wrangler-style vehicle since a CJ-5 in the late 70's. I have had several solid front axle vehicles, early Chevy Blazer and others...but not for a while. I'm not sure I am experiencing a "death-wobble", once I reduce speed (only happens above 60) and steer continuously to one side or the other, the wobble dissipates. But, it will not stop until I slow down and steer slightly to one side. I have had the "wobble" (I never feel like I am going to loose control of the vehicle, but the steering wheel shakes violently) last for over ten seconds, until I slow and steer to one side, just braking will not stop it.
I also understand that a SS is not required required for normal highway driving if all other steering/suspension parts are in working order. I ripped the SS off a '89 straight front axle Chevy Blazer and drove it without indecent for months, until I almost ripped my thumb off while stupidly holding my thumb inside the steering wheel as my right front tire hit a stump and tried to remove said thumb...I then mounted TWO steering stabilizers back to back.
On the Jeep I am on my third steering stabilizer. The original one lasted (and I am not saying the SS is the issue only that the dealer replaced it) 9k miles. The wobble began, the dealer replaced the SS. It took several weeks because SS was on national back-order. On a specific interstate bridge expansion joint I experienced the wobble every time (it also happened other places but every time at this one spot) until the SS was replace. Then with the replaced SS at the same expansion joint, I had no wobble. I assumed the problem was solved. Then, at 14k at the same expansion joint I began experiencing the same wobble, slight at first, then progressively worse. Now the dealer has replaced the SS again, citing they cannot find anything wrong...I also have video documenting the wobble. The third SS has resolved the wobble for now, but my confidence is not high that it will not return.
I had considered spending the money and throwing beefier aftermarket parts at the problem, but I plan on standing my ground and making them fix the issue. It's not like I saved money and purchased a used Jeep with worn parts...this is a new vehicle and FCA should make it function like one.

jipi

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Your situation is almost exactly like mine. The difference being I am at not quite at 6k miles yet. The issue started at about 3k miles. Jeep has replaced three SS and the track bar once. The track bar replacement made the most difference. But the problem is not solved. The positive effect of a new OEM SS on the wobble seems to last about 100 miles. After the track bar was replaced, I do not get the severe death wobble anymore. It is a much milder case. I do not have to slam on the brakes and slow down from 70mph down to 40mph anymore. But I do get a mild version of it not long after the OEM SS has been installed (100 miles or so). I told my dealer I was not coming back until they had a real solution and not just throw another OEM SS to fix it temporarely. I suggested that they buy an aftermarket SS and install it under warranty as I did not want to install aftermarket parts on my own and void my warranty. My dealer's service manager called the Jeep Rep in my area and he called some other higher up at Jeep. I got a call from my service writer to let me know my suggestion had been accepted. My dealer will buy a $54 generic SS I suggested and will get me back in shop when it arrives. I expect this to happen sometime this week.

jipi

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Your situation is almost exactly like mine. The difference being I am at not quite at 6k miles yet. The issue started at about 3k miles. Jeep has replaced three SS and the track bar once. The track bar replacement made the most difference. But the problem is not solved. The positive effect of a new OEM SS on the wobble seems to last about 100 miles. After the track bar was replaced, I do not get the severe death wobble anymore. It is a much milder case. I do not have to slam on the brakes and slow down from 70mph down to 40mph anymore. But I do get a mild version of it not long after the OEM SS has been installed (100 miles or so). I told my dealer I was not coming back until they had a real solution and not just throw another OEM SS to fix it temporarely. I suggested that they buy an aftermarket SS and install it under warranty as I did not want to install aftermarket parts on my own and void my warranty. My dealer's service manager called the Jeep Rep in my area and he called some other higher up at Jeep. I got a call from my service writer to let me know my suggestion had been accepted. My dealer will buy a $54 generic SS I suggested and will get me back in shop when it arrives. I expect this to happen sometime this week.
Also, my '18 JLU hard top sport has a standard transmission, was built I believe in April 2018 and purchased late October. It is completely stock. The Bridgestone all-seasons car tires it came in with are run at 36PSI per the Jeep's monitoring system. The spec sheet from the Bridgestone page says these tires weigh 34lbs. I bough a used set of JL OEM rims to mount my former 2012 JK BF Goodrich k2's 33" (285's) tires. I think they weigh about 48lbs. I have not install the larger BFG set on the vehicle yet to see what happens once the new aftermarket SS is installed with everything else original.
Sponsored