plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
As much as I love beefy aftermarket components, it can't guarantee to solve everyone's death wobble issues. It can definitely correct lift geometry for sure, but so do every other adjustable aftermarket products.

OP
OP
PavementWarrior

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
As much as I love beefy aftermarket components, it can't guarantee to solve everyone's death wobble issues. It can definitely correct lift geometry for sure, but so do every other adjustable aftermarket products.
Sure I agree, and people with stock setups should not have to put aftermarket steering components to be safe.
Also, obviously this is a step you take after going through the usual list of suspects (ie algnment, tire balance, mopar finger tight bolt technology)

However, new Mopar parts are appearing, and current speculation is there will be a recall or tsb shortly. People who have lifts, or not waiting for a new mopar part and having to convince dealer to install it, might want to fix sooner.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
@rustyshakelford

Brett, did you see this? I hope this is your outcome.
Yes I saw it and shared it on our fb page. That’s exactly what ours is doing. I’m hoping this is the solution. I ordered two kits that should be here Thursday. Going to install as soon as they do, I miss driving the Jeep. Installing the second kit on Friday. Have a feeling I need to keep a couple in stock if this is the fix!

Brett

Sponsored

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
The video was clearly a Jeep with an issue, but I believe what many think is death wobble in their JL is just first time experience with a solid front axle and gripping the steering wheel too tight over bumps. There is a feel to driving a Wrangler that isn’t like a car. I may be wrong (have been, will be again), but I think some of these DW claims are naively exaggerated.

Some of this death wobble issue is also from lifts that get suspension geometry out of spec and prematurely wear bushings and joints.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Sure I agree, and people with stock setups should not have to put aftermarket steering components to be safe.
Also, obviously this is a step you take after going through the usual list of suspects (ie algnment, tire balance, mopar finger tight bolt technology)

However, new Mopar parts are appearing, and current speculation is there will be a recall or tsb shortly. People who have lifts, or not waiting for a new mopar part and having to convince dealer to install it, might want to fix sooner.
That recall and tsb rumor has been circulating for 20+ years. Not happening.

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
I am guessing this is not the real issue... but, in every video of death wobble (real DW, not the "shimmy" people have trouble with), the front drive shaft starts and stops rotating with the DW. My guess is that the wobble somehow creates an oscillation that causes the drive shaft to rotate, although that would be an odd transfer of energy from a lateral oscillation to a rotational one. But could the bump that starts the DW somehow actually cause an issue with the front axle disconnect or front differential or something in that drive train that exacerbates the DW beyond the shimmy to become all out chaos? Obviously that would mean that the fix to DW wouldn't be in the geometry/fittings on the steering components. or would it?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The video was clearly a Jeep with an issue, but I believe what many think is death wobble in their JL is just first time experience with a solid front axle and gripping the steering wheel too tight over bumps. There is a feel to driving a Wrangler that isn’t like a car. I may be wrong (have been, will be again), but I think some of these DW claims are naively exaggerated.

Some of this death wobble issue is also from lifts that get suspension geometry out of spec and prematurely wear bushings and joints.
I’ll agree with you. I think a lot of folks get a shimmy and think it’s death wobble at first. If they ever get the real deal, they will know the difference. My geometry is spot on, everything is tight and nothing is worn but yet my jeep is parked until my steer smart stuff comes in. I cannot nor can anyone else figure out what the problem is and I’m to the “throwing parts” part now and hoping it’s fixed. DW 99% of the time is something simple. Other times it’s a bear to track down.

Brett

Sponsored

OP
OP
PavementWarrior

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL

JL is having issues period. People are seeing high speed shimmy, Wobble, and wandering all way out of normal and confirmed by multiple dealers.

Mine had high speed shimmy, stock, at around 1500 miles, I have driven many solid axle vehicles. Only thing I have driven worse was an old 1950s 20 ton Hyster Forklift. I had a 1985 Toyota pu that could kinda pop over 3 feet on a bump, but that was oddly less scary than this shimmy cant steer bs

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
JL is having issues period. People are seeing high speed shimmy, Wobble, and wandering all way out of normal and confirmed by multiple dealers.

Mine had high speed shimmy, stock, at around 1500 miles, I have driven many solid axle vehicles. Only thing I have driven worse was an old 1950s 20 ton Hyster Forklift. I had a 1985 Toyota pu that could kinda pop over 3 feet on a bump, but that was oddly less scary than this shimmy cant steer bs
I’m definitely not dismissing the whole issue here, just saying it may not be as widespread as it seems and can be caused by a variety of issues.

OP
OP
PavementWarrior

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I’m definitely not dismissing the whole issue here, just saying it may not be as widespread as it seems and can be caused by a variety of issues.
Agreed, funky tire pressures, loose bolts, bad alignments are the place to start checking not after market. Anyway you slice it its an interesting video for anyone having these problems, and already been to dealer a few times.

I had assumed most of the problems were due to funky lifts, abuse or bad apples. I carefully test drove mine it did not start with anything, is not lifted and was never abused.

Mopar does not want the Wrangler to compete with boats and is making 4 door models to sell to families. Come on kids, lets go death wobble! :P

Death Shimmy and Wobble are happening in large enough numbers to stock Wranglers so soon, its not gonna get better as these part wear. All parts have yields and margins, there are many parts involved and its pretty clear the summation does not have enough margin for error. In a few years as bushing wear its going to be appearing in larger numbers.

The big issue for mopar is how hit and miss it is with getting help from dealers, I can see them struggle with modified wranglers.. but stock ones? come on, get a plan, and execute it. and roll it out to service people.

Last edited:

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not to be difficult, but you took the factory steering stabilizer off to try and induce death wobble. Why not try to induce it with the SS? Are you saying that your JL is completely stock or unmodified in any way and had actual death wobble?

I believe that dealers can’t replicate it a lot of times because it may be just the driving characteristics of a Jeep vs let’s say a Tahoe. I haven’t followed it enough but are there stats on the number of reported vs confirmed cases?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to be difficult, but you took the factory steering stabilizer off to try and induce death wobble. Why not try to induce it with the SS? Are you saying that your JL is completely stock or unmodified in any way and had actual death wobble?

I believe that dealers can’t replicate it a lot of times because it may be just the driving characteristics of a Jeep vs let’s say a Tahoe. I haven’t followed it enough but are there stats on the number of reported vs confirmed cases?
I’ve seen your videos and followed your build. You obviously don’t have DW or have never experienced it. The steering stabilizer is designed for driver comfort, not to prevent death wobble. If the steering is correct, you don’t need one however, it makes for a smoother experience by absorbing the jarring or shock of the road.

It’s a real problem from mild to wild builds including bone stock off the show room to purpose built rigs. The jeep in the video only had a mopar lift. Last time I drove my Jeep, I went 17 miles and had to pull over 8 times due to DW. It’s almost comical at this point. Lucky for us we live in the country and it’s just a minor inconvenience thanks for light traffic.

This is real, some are experiencing a shimmy and think it’s death wobble, but to me, a bad shimmy is the precursor to DW. They might jump the gun a bit but any wobble isn’t expected in 2019.

Brett
Sponsored