Wrangler in the winter?

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Like all others have said, Jeeps' have historically had amazing heaters. This continues with the JL's. You won't be disappointed. Definitely recommend getting one with thermostat climate control, and the cold weather package (remote start, heated seats, heated steering wheel). Very nice in winter!

One thing I haven't seen others mention. You said you're getting a Sahara, which comes with street tires. Good! If you plan to upgrade to either mud or all-terrain tires, I would keep around those factory tires for winter. Both MT & AT tires look cool and are great offroad, but they really suck in ice and dryer snow. (they're okay in wet snow, but then again most tires are)
Sponsored

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
Two issues have come up but only in really bad weather (snow/sleet conditons).
1. The defroster pushed all/most air out of the center of the vents. This defrosts the center of the windshield fast and keeps it clear, but the left and right side of the windshield, not so much. This will lead to frozen wiper blades and will need to get out and scrape. This can be fixed or temporarily worked around by placing some gloves on the center of the defrost vents. This will force the air out of the left and right sides.
2. Led headlights do not generate enough heat to keep snow/ice from accumulating on the headlight itself. Will need to get out and brush off the buildup. No known fix...

I've been thru two winters in NW Ohio and only had to do this once...really bad weather...

Should these 2 issues keep you from your purchase? Absolutely not
I just wanted you to be aware of them...

2 cents...

rotlex

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I've only owned my Wrangler a few months but can testify to it's heater capabilities. Seriously. It's like freaking crazy inferno hot. Not even sure how they are doing that, lol. So far I have no concerns with the upcoming winter.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Live in New Brunswick and had it all of last winter with no starting issues....I don't keep it in the garage and it gets-20 to-30 here quite often at that time.... I never had to plug her in either.....

In the snow... she's a peach! rides like a dream... very solid on the snow ❄ covered roads...

No complaints as far....
I live in Southern Arizona and during the summer it gets down to 75˚ F and don't have any issues. The winter we may get to 25˚ F and still no issues. Like others have said the thing has great heat and I am glad I got the cold weather package when it gets to 60˚ F or colder (when you are acclimated to 105˚ days in the summer, 60˚ feels pretty chilly). I did include the engine block heater as I want to drive to the top of Alaska and across Northern Canada. I realize my temps are nothing compared to others, but I am glad I won't have any concerns on a northern trip.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The interior of my soft top YJ, with the 2.5L, never kept me less than warm during cold & damp PA winter days. Our most recent record, set on New Year's Day actually, was -19°C / -2°F. I've no doubt that the JL will keep me even warmer, and I've added the Engine Block Heater to my build config to hedge my bet here.

Northern Ontario, we get few weeks of -30 to -40 temps during the winter. No issues with heat, I run just the soft top as well
90FB1ACD-C029-4DC8-B089-A1F4189C1119.jpeg
The Canadian-spec JLs don't display the exterior temperature in Celsius?

Eastern Ontario, did my first winter last year with a 2dr soft top and had no issues. The heaters in these things are fecking awesome. Just watch out for soft snow when pulling over to go pee...
FB_IMG_1582029616221.jpg
Mike, are you the Gummiente of 2005 Ural fame? Brother, I've been following your posts for years. Good to see you here. I've joined the Irbit collective in no small part due to your online rambling cogent analysis. ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler in the winter? New fuel pum

Sponsored

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Southern Arizona and during the summer it gets down to 75˚ F and don't have any issues. The winter we may get to 25˚ F and still no issues. Like others have said the thing has great heat and I am glad I got the cold weather package when it gets to 60˚ F or colder (when you are acclimated to 105˚ days in the summer, 60˚ feels pretty chilly). I did include the engine block heater as I want to drive to the top of Alaska and across Northern Canada. I realize my temps are nothing compared to others, but I am glad I won't have any concerns on a northern trip.
Holy!!! I wish it would only get to 60 degrees in the winter..lol...I haven't even plugged the thing in yet in the cold weather.... she's been really reliable...

It's 44 degrees right now!!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler in the winter? 16040007194522385415171104790261

VolvDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR / 08 F350
1. The defroster pushed all/most air out of the center of the vents. This defrosts the center of the windshield fast and keeps it clear, but the left and right side of the windshield, not so much. This will lead to frozen wiper blades and will need to get out and scrape. This can be fixed or temporarily worked around by placing some gloves on the center of the defrost vents. This will force the air out of the left and right sides.
2. Led headlights do not generate enough heat to keep snow/ice from accumulating on the headlight itself. Will need to get out and brush off the buildup. No known fix...

I've been thru two winters in NW Ohio and only had to do this once...really bad weather...

2 cents...
Major issues with the windshield and wipers icing up. Driving performance solid. Visibility in driving snow will get compromised. Truckers on another thread said putting the visors down against the windshield will help distribute the hot air better....big vertical windshields have this issue apparently.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
If you put the heat on max temp and direct air out the vents, the air is roughly the equivelent of putting your hand 1" away from a hair dryer. As in you'll be moving it pretty quickly.

If I lived somewhere close I guess I would have an excuse to bust out the extension cord and plug it into the engine block heater cord I found neatly tucked on the drivers side of the engine bay.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many

2 cents...
Yep. They have a little problem with that. As far as keeping the interior warm? No issues at all. Had a little storm and the wipers were a pain. Froze up pretty quick. Of course it was really heavy snow and pretty
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler in the winter? 471ADF4A-3FB6-45A0-9ADF-BF438F3365D1
cold.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
The interior of my soft top YJ, with the 2.5L, never kept me less than warm during cold & damp PA winter days. Our most recent record, set on New Year's Day actually, was -19°C / -2°F. I've no doubt that the JL will keep me even warmer, and I've added the Engine Block Heater to my build config to hedge my bet here.

The Canadian-spec JLs don't display the exterior temperature in Celsius?

Mike, are you the Gummiente of 2005 Ural fame? Brother, I've been following your posts for years. Good to see you here. I've joined the Irbit collective in no small part due to your online rambling cogent analysis. ;)

New fuel pump.jpg
Learned both systems throughout school and we are a boarder town with Michigan so just used to having both at once. Also why I have range in km but useage in MPG

That’s one thing I’ve never used on any of my vehicles I’ve owned is the block heater. Never had issues starting in severe cold, and I work 12 hour shift work so she sits in a parking lot frozen all night

Sponsored

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler in the winter? 471ADF4A-3FB6-45A0-9ADF-BF438F3365D1
That's me! Nice to meet you and good to see you took the Ivanic plunge. Nice rig you have there! I'm not sure how current you are on my situation, but I worked at a well known Canadian Ural dealer for a few years, then moved and worked at a Harley dealer for a couple years before retiring in Feb this year. I handed over the reins to CURD a couple years back and it is still limping along today.

OP
OP

KDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Thanks for all the replys gentlemen. I appreciate it.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Driving back from Maryland after picking up a four door sport s. I noticed very strong heat but shortly after shutting the heat down it got very cold again. So it was a constant on and off battle. The climate control only seem to have two settings lukewarm and desert fire. No in-between. The middle setting was not enough or to close to low heat. On the high setting you can roast marshmallows. Sadly no Goldilocks temperature.

Johnczar4

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 Wrangler Sport S
I initially didn’t want heated seats, but so glad I decided on cold weather package. Cabin temperature not ever an issue. Heated seats and wheel great for riding with Freedom Panels open in light snow. Enjoy

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
I have a 20 JLUR hardtop. Only negatives are the LED headlights don't produce enough heat to stay clear in the snow. Also have issues with the windshield fogging up when driving in snow. I'd recommend a hardtop with the headliner option. While the heater keeps the cabin warm, You'll feel the cold from the top on the top of your head. The headliner insulates your head from the cold in winter and heat in the summer. Also makes it quieter.
Sponsored