Sponsored

Wrangler in the winter?

KDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
I was wondering what the Wrangler is like in the winter when it gets to the -20 to -40 stage. I'm looking at purchasing one and would be commuting on the highway approx 80kms per day. I would be buying the turbo 4 cylinder version in the Sahara Unlimited Altitude trim. It would be in a heated garage at home and plugged in at work so starting is not an issue, I'm wondering is it's a cold vehicle to ride in on the highway.
Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
The one thing that you should know about pretty much all Jeeps... The cabin heat may be powered by a small nuclear reactor. ... If that answers your question.

In all seriousness, I run my soft top in "Safari" mode with all of the rear windows out, and have driven to Tahoe at night with the family, and it got down into the 30's, with absolutely no complaints. With the cabin sealed up, I'm never cold, but I am in California so cold weather isn't exactly what we are known for. The heat comes on fast from cold starts and especially with the heated seats and steering wheel (which I swear gets too hot to touch in certain areas, sometimes) I never cold.

McKenzie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR; 2016 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Education
I was wondering what the Wrangler is like in the winter when it gets to the -20 to -40 stage. I'm looking at purchasing one and would be commuting on the highway approx 80kms per day. I would be buying the turbo 4 cylinder version in the Sahara Unlimited Altitude trim. It would be in a heated garage at home and plugged in at work so starting is not an issue, I'm wondering is it's a cold vehicle to ride in on the highway.
Idaho and Montana may not be quite Saskatchewan, but probably about as close as the lower 48 gets.

I love mine (my jkur was also great in the cold). The heater is strong, and the heated seats and steering wheel are magical. Iā€™ve never kept my seats on more than low for over ~1 minute.

Not quite comparable to winter, but Iā€™ve been known to find myself out at night w/o the top (and sometimes doors), and cranking the heat, seats, and wheel make it just fine when itā€™s 50F (~10C, if Iā€™m not mistaken) and moving 70mph (~115kph).

Donā€™t let the cold deter you. There are plenty of ā€˜good reasonsā€™ not to get a wrangler, but the cold isnā€™t one.

Last edited:

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Live in New Brunswick and had it all of last winter with no starting issues....I don't keep it in the garage and it gets-20 to-30 here quite often at that time.... I never had to plug her in either.....

In the snow... she's a peach! rides like a dream... very solid on the snow ā„ covered roads...

No complaints as far....

Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Northern Ontario, we get few weeks of -30 to -40 temps during the winter. No issues with heat, I run just the soft top as well
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler in the winter? 90FB1ACD-C029-4DC8-B089-A1F4189C1119

306overland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 YJ, 2020 JLU Sahara Altitude(sold), 2023 JLUR
I live in SK and am not worried! I just got my Wrangler the end of Sept so this will be my first winter with it. My daughter has a 2018 JL and has not had an issue.

Having said that, both of our Jeeps are the 3.6L but I doubt the 2.0 would be much different one you are on the highway. I also drive 80km each way to work ā€¦ must be a SK thing! Lol. Let us know when you get your Wrangler!!

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
Eastern Ontario, did my first winter last year with a 2dr soft top and had no issues. The heaters in these things are fecking awesome. Just watch out for soft snow when pulling over to go pee...
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler in the winter? FB_IMG_1582029616221

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

Like others have said, you never have to worry about a Jeep with not enough heat.

Make sure to get the Cold Weather Group. You may end wearing gloves but for the opposite reason: to avoid burning off your finger prints...

Good luck!

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler in the winter? 1603975219115

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Eastern Ontario, did my first winter last year with a 2dr soft top and had no issues. The heaters in these things are fecking awesome. Just watch out for soft snow when pulling over to go pee...
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler in the winter? 1603975219115
... or forget Frank Zappas words of wisdom. "Don't eat the yellow snow" lol

Sponsored

msdesignltd

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler Recon unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 Rubicon and a range rover sport
Heat comes out of vents within 1 minute of start up on jeep.
RR takes over 10 minutes to turn luke warm..

I dont understand how jeep does it..there must be electrical elements in set up..
YES..Jeep gets toasty ..Fast!

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Don't have my Jeep yet as it's on order but been doing a lot of research to prepare myself. I also spent time wondering how these will be in the winter as I'm around Buffalo, NY and we get hammered pretty good.

I opted for a hard top just to be safe with winter temps. Maybe will get a soft top down the line.

I think you'll be fine by all accounts though.

Have heard about some defrost issues with some Wranglers. Not sure if it's certain trims or what but have seen many complaining about Rubicon's defrost patterns only doing the middle of the windshield. Can't speak to it myself yet but there are fixes out there if it's an issue.

I'm expecting this vehicle to do pretty well in winter though and it's one reason I'm getting it. Tired of spinning my tires in my driveway and worried about making it through a few inches of snow to get to work on snowy mornings. Hopefully this vehicle solves those issues :)

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
Iā€™ve always read about how powerful the heat is in wranglers But didnā€™t realize how crazy hot it gets until I got one. There is definitely no need to worry about it being warm enough. These heaters will BURN you
Sponsored