Wrangler Hurricane turbo engine flash tune

Jnrscaping

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara
Tuning a brand new FCA engine? Reliability is already expected to be minimal. If you flash and then something goes wrong, whether it be due to the tune or not, you can forget about your dealer even taking a look at the vehicle.
Well like I said (just figured out how to reply to you directly) that’s up to each individual person. Second, if there’s anyone I trust it’s these guys they’ve proven to know they’re stuff with turbos. Third; worst comes to worst a new ECU swap would solve that and last by the time it’s done in development and testing some jeepers might have 15,20,30k miles
Sponsored

Jnrscaping

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara
You fool! The first rule of the Belgian Stelvio Flashing Society is that you don't talk about the Belgian Stelvio Flashing Society. Your membership is revoked!
So I spoke to a rep from @Prodigy Performancetoday and they said they’ve had internal discussions about possibly cracking the turbo tune for the 2.0 turbo. The possibilities are endless in terms of updated turbos, blow off valves, headers, boost gauges and regulators etc etc. according to their initial spitballing these cracked tunes could increase HP anywhere from 50-100 hp!!!! Trying to show the interest so they do in fact realize the market, potential and interest based on these forums. Please tag others do whatever we have to do as I am new to the forums and don’t know how to do all that!!!!! Help fellow Jeepers PLEASE!!!
@Prodigy Performance

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR EcoDiesel, '19 GMC Terrain, '16 Suburban
Vehicle Showcase
It would be pretty easy to flash without the dealer ever knowing.

Jabs - a flash on a turbocharged vehicle will always yield larger % gains.
In this day & age its Very unlikely that the ECM doesnt have a time stamp capability for each time it was flashed. Its entirely possible that it does not... but in all likely hood it does. This means that if you take it in for service and it says it was flashed(with a stock file) a couple days before you brought it in, it will raise questions. Many ECM's even have a history of flashes & dates in them. I wouldnt get your(or anyone elses) hopes up that you could flash it when ever you want with the dealership not being aware of it.

Larger gains....This is subjective. In this day & age factory engineers are squeezing as much as they can out of the motor with stock tuning, leaving less and less "room for gains via aftermarket tuning" than there used to be. There are still plenty of gains to be had, but its a smaller percentage than it used to be.

My first Duramax for example was a LBZ rated at 360hp/650tq, tuned it was 507/920.... ~40% gains. Back in the day it was awesome, these days stock trucks are almost making that much.
LML rated at 397/765
L5P rated at 445/910
So as engineers get better and better at tuning, the gains arent as big anymore...

Jnrscaping

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara
In this day & age its Very unlikely that the ECM doesnt have a time stamp capability for each time it was flashed. Its entirely possible that it does not... but in all likely hood it does. This means that if you take it in for service and it says it was flashed(with a stock file) a couple days before you brought it in, it will raise questions. Many ECM's even have a history of flashes & dates in them. I wouldnt get your(or anyone elses) hopes up that you could flash it when ever you want with the dealership not being aware of it.

Larger gains....This is subjective. In this day & age factory engineers are squeezing as much as they can out of the motor with stock tuning, leaving less and less "room for gains via aftermarket tuning" than there used to be. There are still plenty of gains to be had, but its a smaller percentage than it used to be.

My first Duramax for example was a LBZ rated at 360hp/650tq, tuned it was 507/920.... ~40% gains. Back in the day it was awesome, these days stock trucks are almost making that much.
LML rated at 397/765
L5P rated at 445/910
So as engineers get better and better at tuning, the gains arent as big anymore...
Appreciate your input but you do realize that you could just have another ecu on deck for these things.

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
I'm very interested in these types of concepts but this isn't just a normal 4-banger with a turbo...it has the added complexity of the E-Torque system to really make mucking around with it a risky affair. Any tuning or ECM changes would have to account for how the electric assist works and while I wouldn't be too worried about knocking a simple turbo setting and having to readjust, melting the e-torque system because of a bad tune would be an extremely costly and potentially dangerous side effect.

Once I see that some smart people have accounted for all of this and put a few 10s of thousands of miles on test mules without incident, I would eagerly purchase all sorts of tunes for my 2.0T.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I'm very interested in these types of concepts but this isn't just a normal 4-banger with a turbo...it has the added complexity of the E-Torque system to really make mucking around with it a risky affair. Any tuning or ECM changes would have to account for how the electric assist works and while I wouldn't be too worried about knocking a simple turbo setting and having to readjust, melting the e-torque system because of a bad tune would be an extremely costly and potentially dangerous side effect.
This makes me wonder if BSG tuning will ever become a "thing". Upgrading to a stronger electric motor or larger capacity battery could have some interesting effects.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Appreciate your input but you do realize that you could just have another ecu on deck for these things.
Doesn't matter. FCA's on board computers have a built in permanent DTC that cannot be cleared once the vehicle has been tuned, swapping ECU's won't hide it. The Hellcat guys were the first to find out the hard way.

Code:
P1400
Definition:
Aftermarket Calibration Detected/Warranty Coverage Confirmation Required
Description:
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software is unauthorized and does not meet factory OEM specifications.
Cause:
  • Pcm Has Been Programmed With Unauthorized Or Aftermarket Software
  • An Authorized Mopar Or Scat Pak Powertrain Control Module (Pcm) Has Been Installed

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
Doesn't matter. FCA's on board computers have a built in permanent DTC that cannot be cleared once the vehicle has been tuned, swapping ECU's won't hide it. The Hellcat guys were the first to find out the hard way.

Code:
P1400
Definition:
Aftermarket Calibration Detected/Warranty Coverage Confirmation Required
Description:
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software is unauthorized and does not meet factory OEM specifications.
Cause:
  • Pcm Has Been Programmed With Unauthorized Or Aftermarket Software
  • An Authorized Mopar Or Scat Pak Powertrain Control Module (Pcm) Has Been Installed
This is only for real PCM tunes right? Tazer doesn't have the same issue?

Jnrscaping

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara
That’s what I was about to ask. Is it specifically able to detect if it is a specific and differentiate the type of tune? Because I already calibrated my tires which is technically a tune. And don’t argue it’s not because people who were trying to put a canned tune from SC on top of the tire calibration we’re having trouble. So that is considered a tune as well.
I still think if they up the boost a bit it will be fine.

Jnrscaping

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara

Once I see that some smart people have accounted for all of this and put a few 10s of thousands of miles on test mules without incident, I would eagerly purchase all sorts of tunes for my 2.0T.
Agreed.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Correct, for real tunes that change fuel maps, timing, etc.

Edit: seems Superchips have kicked the P1400 code in Wranglers already and they now include this with their product shipments. So I'm not sure exactly what kicks the code.

Ok Superchips, just a little confused. This was the top sheet in the box I got today with the unlocked PCM. Seems like it contradicts what you said? If you could clarify that would be great. Thanks

Resized_20181220_130836_349.jpeg
IMG_1347.JPG

Last edited:

Gahooligan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Its a P0100 i believe. PCM CAN communication error. It means that at some point your PCM was unplugged and lost communication with other modules (like when you had a 2nd PCM that was unlocked installed). You cannot clear this code. However, if I unplug my ECM, I'd have the same code. "Maybe my battery died.. i dont know Mr Dealership... prove it" lol.

Deleted member 53226

With all of these claims of 50+ HP and TQ, better gas mileage, etc., with a tune, I always ask myself why doesn't the factory just go ahead and push it out the door with the better tune? It's not like FCA is out there trying to sell tunes themselves to make an extra buck in the aftermarket. Also, there would be tremendous benefit in bragging rights and vehicle sales to FCA if they could advertise the 2.0 as having 315 HP, etc.

So, there must be a significant reason the engineers at FCA chose not to do so. The only reason I can think of for FCA leaving sales and bragging rights on the table at the factory is the engineers concluded that although it was possible to tune the little engine up for those numbers, durability and engine issues would result, and thus warranty claims would increase, which would cancel out any increased profits.

The engineers already know the direct injected engine will start to clog its intake valves with carbon/oil residue during its service life, so they probably figured a high tune may also accelerate that situation.

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Willys 4xe, '17 Subaru Crosstrek
Factory engineers always have to balance performance, economy and reliability, especially when it comes to turbo's. These 4 cyl. engines are not high performance (block and internals) to begin with and the introduction of a turbo was more for fuel economy than outright performance potential. You can always retune for gains in one area with likely adverse effects on the other two. You start bumping up the pressures and playing with the fuel/ air map and bad things will happen (unless you've done the requisite reliability testing to prove otherwise).

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
every one worries about warranty FMC cant fix them they just throw parts on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored