Sponsored

New 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0L Turbo Engine (Hurricane) FIRST spy photos!

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

We just got our first look of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) 4-cylinder turbo engine, which we recently confirmed as part of the new upcoming Wrangler engine lineup!

The new 2.0-liter "Hurricane" engine is seen here in a JL Wrangler mule sporting a cam cover with oil fill cap in the center of the engine. We are able to identify it as the turbo engine due to air intake ducting which is routed over the top of the cam cover. The prototype engine also appears to have a high-mounted turbo.

The 2.0L turbo Wrangler JL will also be paired with the new 850RE 8-speed transmission for gas engines and produce upwards of close to 300-horsepower. The new Hurricane could also be the basis of a plug-in hybrid version of the Wrangler expected to arrive later.

It should be noted that the longitudinal mounting in the Wrangler will mean some parts may have to be reworked when it is applied to the Jeep Cherokee and other front-wheel drive FCA models in the future.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Hurricane-Turbo-Engine1.jpg
2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Hurricane-Turbo-Engine2.jpg
2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Hurricane-Turbo-Engine3.jpg
2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Hurricane-Turbo-Engine4.jpg
2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Hurricane-Turbo-Engine5.jpg
Sponsored

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Is this the same prototype you posted photos of earlier today - the JLU wrangler unlimited?

Rockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and Bikes
The 2.0L turbo Wrangler JL is to be paired with the new 850RE 8-speed transmission for gas engines and produce upwards of close to 300-horsepower. The new Hurricane could also be the basis of a plug-in hybrid version of the Wrangler expected to arrive later.
The turbo engine is just being paired with the 8 speed? What about a manual?

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
The turbo engine is just being paired with the 8 speed? What about a manual?
From what I've read, 6MT will be offered, just don't know if they're gonna make it available for all 3 engines.

PSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Wow didn't actually think this would come true but I guess you guys were right. At 300HP though is this actually an economy engine or could it actually be positioned above V6 Pentastar?

Interestingly enough this will be FCA's only turbo 4 + RWD/AWD car.

Sponsored

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
The Hurricane engine might turn out to be more affordable and efficient but it'll still be a compromise compared to the 3.6L. The Pentastar 6 cyl is matched perfected for the Wrangler and great combination of HP and TQ levels, not to mention smooth as hell.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Wonder what the price difference between the turbo and the V6 will be. Is the V6 guaranteed to be more expensive of the two?

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
Wonder what the price difference between the turbo and the V6 will be. Is the V6 guaranteed to be more expensive of the two?
Anyone's guess right now. But traditionally, 4 cylinder turbo models cost less than 6 cylinder, but the Hurricane engine is no usual 4 cylinder turbo. It cranks out 300HP, so it might actually end up being the extra cost option for the JL. Also, at least initially it won't be a mass produced engine like the Pentastar V6 so there's another factor that might play into the 4 cyl being more expensive than the V6.

And man that engine compartment looks like Medusa's head ;)

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
That's what i have heard that the 4 banger will be the base engine which kind of sucks for most of us who will be going with the V6. Hopefully the V6 option won't be too pricey.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
That's what i have heard that the 4 banger will be the base engine which kind of sucks for most of us who will be going with the V6. Hopefully the V6 option won't be too pricey.
No telling right now which engine will cost more. Look at the Mustang, the Ecoboost turbo 4 cylinder engine costs more than the V6 model by about $1500. Really depends on how FCA wants to market the car and the engines. It could try to market the Hurricane as newer, more premium, better torque delivery etc.

Sponsored

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
That's A LOT of plumbing... could this be the diesel engine instead?

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
That's A LOT of plumbing... could this be the diesel engine instead?
This looks like an inline engine and there's no diesel 4 cyl in FCA's U.S. lineup. I'm assuming this prototype was spotted in the U.S.

CrashBurn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
The Hurricane engine might turn out to be more affordable and efficient but it'll still be a compromise compared to the 3.6L. The Pentastar 6 cyl is matched perfected for the Wrangler and great combination of HP and TQ levels, not to mention smooth as hell.
I have my doubts. Tuned to 300hp it will not be more efficient or more affordable IMO. I think they might sell this as an upgrade option.

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
No telling right now which engine will cost more. Look at the Mustang, the Ecoboost turbo 4 cylinder engine costs more than the V6 model by about $1500. Really depends on how FCA wants to market the car and the engines. It could try to market the Hurricane as newer, more premium, better torque delivery etc.
Which is just crazy to me paying more for a turbo 4 that really should be marketed for fuel economy. I see this going 2.0 liter base and 3.6 V6 for the Rubicon and optional on other lines.

Macman1138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Call of Duty Black Ops
New engine, new drive train and such is what I had expected. But I am disappointed at Jeeps crummy lights and lack of a steel bumpers. I feel that LED lighting inside and out should be standard and at least a steel bumper as an option on all models.

The plastic bumpers on the Wranglers are worthless.
Sponsored