Wrangler as a daily driver?

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
First jeep and DD for 10 months now. Its a more than capable without hesitation DD vehicle for sure. On occasion ill still here the chatter of “ oh wow no way is a wrangler a comfortable DD”... those people are just misinformed or their opinion is based off old model wranglers. Wrangler is comfortable and fun to drive! And its engine is sufficient imo. It gets out of its own way for sure. A 392 even better ik jealous :)
Sponsored

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I can't understand why some people would accept the compromises of the Jeep knowing that they won't take it offroad.
I said before that for me the Jeep is the coolest vehicle on the streets, bar none, but personally I wouldn't put up with its shortcomings if I didn't take it offroad.

I know it's crazy talk... probably something like over 90% of Jeep owners don't go off road, and that is perfectly fine. I just couldn't do it.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
My '18 Sport S has been my daily for over 3 years now. My commute is not long, though - I only have 20k miles on it so far (though last year was definitely a very limited year for most of us).

As I've said lots of times before, I would strongly, strongly caution anyone with a long commute or other extensive daily driving needs before they buy a wrangler. The seats are not the most comfortable, the steering MAY be an issue for you (I never had problems), and the road noise/feel can be quite rough depending on top choice and tire choice.

If you haven't owned a wrangler or truck before and are coming from a crossover or some kind of other "normal" car, try your best to get a longer test drive or use a friend's jeep for a couple days to get an idea of what you're getting into.

All of what I said is more true for a 2-door, and triply true if you really have no plans to offroad whatsoever. Be honest with yourself.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
My '18 Sport S has been my daily for over 3 years now. My commute is not long, though - I only have 20k miles on it so far (though last year was definitely a very limited year for most of us).

As I've said lots of times before, I would strongly, strongly caution anyone with a long commute or other extensive daily driving needs before they buy a wrangler. The seats are not the most comfortable, the steering MAY be an issue for you (I never had problems), and the road noise/feel can be quite rough depending on top choice and tire choice.

If you haven't owned a wrangler or truck before and are coming from a crossover or some kind of other "normal" car, try your best to get a longer test drive or use a friend's jeep for a couple days to get an idea of what you're getting into.

All of what I said is more true for a 2-door, and triply true if you really have no plans to offroad whatsoever. Be honest with yourself.
Absofreakinlutely!!

My wife has had her JLU Sport S for just over 3 years now. It's her daily driver and our family road trip vehicle. We spent a lot of time in it the last two weeks...6 hr. drive to VT the first week, then 3.5 hr. ride down to DE, plus 2 day trips (60 miles each way) to the shore. It now has 22k miles. It tracks straight and true with no wandering, death wobble, or any other issues. It was not uncomfortable IMO, especially if you stop and stretch every couple of hours. I don't even think a Recaro is comfortable if you are in it for 6 hours straight.

I can compare it to a 2-door, since that is my daily driver. JLU definitely rides a bit smoother (stock for stock) than a JL (my DD, 14k miles so far), and the twill top is quieter on the highway than the sailcloth (my JL has sailcloth).

Overall, the JLU is a perfectly capable daily driver, and I'd imagine you can get somewhat decent fuel economy if you can keep your foot off the Go pedal with a 392 under the hood. I had a 5.7 Hemi Charger as my previous DD and it would get great mileage on the highway with MDS.

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
6 hr. drive to VT the first week, then 3.5 hr. ride down to DE, plus 2 day trips (60 miles each way) to the shore. It now has 22k miles. It tracks straight and true with no wandering, death wobble, or any other issues. It was not uncomfortable IMO, especially if you stop and stretch every couple of hours.
Yea, I just got back from an 8ish-hour trip with my family. We stopped every couple hours. Any longer and for me, personally, the seats just aren't up to snuff. But like you said, most people/vehicles need to stop on road trips every few hours anyway, so the issue can be somewhat alleviated on the road trips.

For other driving situations that maybe aren't road trips but you're still in the car for an extensive amount of time... I'd go with something else, for sure. But that's just me. And also keep in mind that your passengers are sitting on what are essentially still just jump seats even in the 4-door: no recline or heat or much bolstering.

I was new to jeeps with the JL. I live in a jeep-heavy area, so I've grown up with them all my life, but I never actually owned one until the JL. It's been interesting see it morph from a fairly niche vehicle into a lifestyle statement/brand kind of vehicle, and now they're all over the place.

For someone who really wants to buy a jeep, obviously go for it, but just be honest with yourself about what you need it for. If you want to radiate that offroading lifestyle even though you never will take it on dirt, that's fine, but be aware that you are going to make some sacrifices over a more traditional vehicle. But none of this is new to people who are researching a jeep, good and bad.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...for now I still have the luxury to keep my Wrangler out of the rain and pending snow (winter is coming) because my other daily (an 06 Scion xB) is still humming along.
That's twice now that I've read "winter is coming" on this forum today.

We're still living in the middle of summer heat, you know. ;)

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
How many of you utilize your wrangler as a daily driver? I travel to several plants monthly throughout the northeast and put roughly 20-25k miles a year on my daily driver. Wondering if my ordered 392 can fit the bill as a daily?
Our '20 Recon is my wife's dd. She drives around 50 miles per day rt to work, about 1/2 highway, and she's quite happy with it. She leaves the top and doors on since where she parks in the city it would not be a good idea to leave them unlocked, much less not having doors on it at all.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I'm still waiting on my JL 3.0 EcoDiesel to be shipped, BUT I live maybe 1000ft from the punch-in clock at my job, so I walk to work daily. While I wouldn't say I will be using my JL (when I get it) as a daily driver, I will be driving it daily!
I enjoy driving, it calms me.
My wife's car is our Subaru Forester Sport. We put ~2,000 miles on it a month. She drives it to work (60 miles total) and then we do an average of 200 miles a day on each weekend day, 400 total most weekends. I go for country drives at least once a month, that usually is ~200-600 miles of just d***ing around.
Our JL (when it gets here) will take up at least half of those miles, probably more. Again, driving calms me. :rock::like:

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Daily Driver, 60 miles a day.

Sponsored

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
Had mine (stock 6 speed) about 12 weeks now with ~ 3,700 miles on it. Have driven it every day I've owned it. Commute is only about 25 mins. I find myself coming up with excuses to drive it. No long trips yet altho I drove my Girl's Willys (auto) to NC (8hrs) in July and it was more comfortable than doing so in the WJ that I previously drove.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Thanks for all the replies. For clarification, my work gives me a healthy monthly stipend toward a vehicle payment and also pays 100% of my gas and insurance (I’m blessed and fortunate for sure). Also, they pay 100% of any maintenance related items including tires although during the warranty period it isn’t an issue. So, I will be basically driving a new 392 X-Recon for a very cheap out of pocket payment and will never worry about gas/insurance. In saying that, it makes it fun but also nerve racking when picking a vehicle to purchase as it’s my work/personal vehicle and price really isn’t a concern. I’ve looked at the TRX as well and even a new power wagon. BUT, will they put a bigger smile on my face or be a better daily than my 392? My heart and gut says no….but, my dad (rip) is looking down saying what the hell are you doing buying a wrangler as a daily? So, my brain questions my love and desire to have the 392 :facepalm:
The trx would 100% put a bigger smile on my face and is definitely a better daily driver when gas is no issue. Much more comfortable interior, much more compliant suspension for absorbing potholes (or even speed bumps at speed), and one of the only 4x4's on the planet that can make the 392 feel slow by comparison. That being said, my wife daily drives our lifted jlur on 37's, it's plenty comfortable and plenty capable as a daily.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I'm still waiting on my JL 3.0 EcoDiesel to be shipped, BUT I live maybe 1000ft from the punch-in clock at my job, so I walk to work daily. While I wouldn't say I will be using my JL (when I get it) as a daily driver, I will be driving it daily!
I enjoy driving, it calms me.
My wife's car is our Subaru Forester Sport. We put ~2,000 miles on it a month. She drives it to work (60 miles total) and then we do an average of 200 miles a day on each weekend day, 400 total most weekends. I go for country drives at least once a month, that usually is ~200-600 miles of just d***ing around.
Our JL (when it gets here) will take up at least half of those miles, probably more. Again, driving calms me. :rock::like:
Love this. Driving with the roof off/down (and doors off if you're feeling adventurous) is pure bliss. I'm excited for you to be able to enjoy that soon! :rock:
Sponsored