Wrangler as a daily driver?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
My JLU Recon became my daily driver about 6 weeks ago after I sold my Tesla M3. Liked the Tesla but my 25 mile round trip to work didn’t justify keeping it and the Jeep. Sold the 2.5 year old Tesla for what I paid. The Jeep is great. The only downside is some of my short in stature female colleagues have trouble climbing into my lifted Jeep to travel to lunch…. High heels don’t help either….
Sponsored

737 Jock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4-Door
7 months and 5k on my 2021 JLUS hardtop with manual. It's my first Wrangler, as I have only ever driven manual sports cars and sport compacts.

I drive the Wrangler most days and it is acceptably comfortable to me, having come from stiffly sprung sports cars. The Wrangler is also quite a blast to rat-race through our hilly, low-traffic, rural twisties. Its very flat cornering, combined with rear drive/limited slip and manual gear selection make it a pretty cool, tall sports car.

Also, coming from a Corvette, I really appreciate the ride height. I have owned a lot of fun drives and did not expect the Wrangler JL to be among my most favorite -- but I love it.

Last edited:

MadChef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 80th, 2019 4Runner, 2008 350z
I started out with a CJ5 and spent 10 years in a TJ as my daily driver. 6 months and 6000 miles in on my JL80 and I couldn’t be happier. It’s an absolute blast to drive. Every...single...day.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
The utility of a truck is worth it to keep stored away, as long as you have the room. Unless its one of those squatted/pre-runner/lifted to the sky builds that ruin all utility.
I definitely wouldn't sell both trucks, but it's hard to justify keeping two if I'm not going to be putting some real miles on one of them. The other truck is a 1977 F350 dually flatbed. It's not practical as a daily driver, but it covers the bases on utility.

Sponsored

mchastings

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Sport S 2Dr / 2015 Rubicon JKU/2020 Willys JLU Diesel
Occupation
Working to pay my Taxes
Daily Driver,2020 Willys JLU diesel. 20k+ miles, just hit 1 year this month. My Wife's daily driver is a 2015 Rubicon.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
My wife DD's a 2019 JLU and wouldn't change anything about. I DD a 2021 JLUR. I commute 40 miles rt about 3 days a week. My most direct route is interstate, but at least half the time I leave early so I can drive backroads and enjoy the drive thru the mountains. On road trips we always take one of the JLs unless we need the space of the Tundra.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
7 months and 5k on my 2021 JLUS hardtop with manual. It's my first Wrangler, as I have only ever driven manual sports cars and sport compacts.

I drive the Wrangler most days and it is acceptably comfortable to me, having come from stiffly sprung sports cars. The Wrangler is also quite a blast to rat-race through our hilly, low-traffic, rural twisties. Its very flat cornering, combined with rear drive/limited slip and manual gear selection make it a pretty cool, tall sports car.

Also, coming from a Corvette, I really appreciate the ride height. I have owned a lot of fun drives and did not expect the Wrangler JL to be among my most favorite -- but I love it.
Same here. I owned a lot fun sports cars my entire life. Everything from really affordable fun cars to exotics. A few Vettes also. I owned a TJ, JK, JL and I would easily rate all of the Wranglers in my top 5-10 most fun. I daily drove all of the Wranglers. The JLR in my top 4-5 for sure. Maybe top 3-4.

Yaak392

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Rubicon 392
My
How many of you utilize your wrangler as a daily driver? I travel to several plants monthly throughout the northeast and put roughly 20-25k miles a year on my daily driver. Wondering if my ordered 392 can fit the bill as a daily?
My dd is a 392. Retired but busy, Jeep got it right. Not a single complaint.

Sponsored

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You asked on a forum of enthusiasts if they like the object of their enthusiasm... Yes, they certainly do, including me.

In the land of "normal" people lol, the Jeep, especially a modified one, is quite a sight and an experience to ride. Of all the many people that rode in my Jeep, they all found it extremely cool, and none of them bought one when they were buying a new vehicle.

A DD Jeep will be ok for us.

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
My JLU Recon became my daily driver about 6 weeks ago after I sold my Tesla M3. Liked the Tesla but my 25 mile round trip to work didn’t justify keeping it and the Jeep. Sold the 2.5 year old Tesla for what I paid. The Jeep is great. The only downside is some of my short in stature female colleagues have trouble climbing into my lifted Jeep to travel to lunch…. High heels don’t help either….
A Texas women can climb into a Jeep Wrangler in a short dress and high heels with a big smile on her face and say, "I love it".

FrostQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
To me, fuel cost is insignificant when deciding which vehicle to buy/drive.

Just for argument sake, avg price of gas right now in the US is $3.162 for Reg87.
Wranglers estimated 20mpg and 15,000mi/yr (est. 50mi round trip commuting) = 750gal per year
Total fuel cost per year = $2,371.50

A family hauler Honda CRV gets about 30mpg, so 500gal per year.
Total fuel cost per year = $1,581

$800 per year isn't that much to me to drive a badass vehicle to work every day. Sure, it's not as comfortable and doesn't have all the safety bells and whistles, but the joy it brings on the weekends outweighs all the negatives on the M-F commute.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I drive the Wrangler most days and it is acceptably comfortable to me, having come from stiffly sprung sports cars.
LOL, ya, me, too...ironically, whenever I ride in or drive a car that isn't my own (rental, friends & family) etc. I think..."Wow, this is a comfortable ride. But this isn't fun, at all - it's just transportation."
Sponsored