Sponsored

windshield replacement

GenaL

First Name
Gena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2.0 2-door (Firecracker Red)
My windshield was nailed by something yesterday. Took a chunk out of it while on way to work. When came back out of work, it had spidered from top to bottom. Took my JL Sport S into the window place today to get an estimate to be covered by insurance. I told him it has to be Mopar. When he said there was no way to tell anyways, I pointed out the writing in the bottom left. He said he would check, but Mopar might not be covered. I keep reading there is no aftermarket window and will need to be Mopar, but those are older posts. Can anyone confirm if they have an aftermarket now or can I be pretty much assured I will get the part I want for the replacement?
Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
My windshield was nailed by something yesterday. Took a chunk out of it while on way to work. When came back out of work, it had spidered from top to bottom. Took my JL Sport S into the window place today to get an estimate to be covered by insurance. I told him it has to be Mopar. When he said there was no way to tell anyways, I pointed out the writing in the bottom left. He said he would check, but Mopar might not be covered. I keep reading there is no aftermarket window and will need to be Mopar, but those are older posts. Can anyone confirm if they have an aftermarket now or can I be pretty much assured I will get the part I want for the replacement?
If they won't replace with the proper manufacturer parts, identical to what was damaged, go elsewhere. That's complete BS.

Threxx

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR HT 3.6AT
If they won't replace with the proper manufacturer parts, identical to what was damaged, go elsewhere. That's complete BS.
If aftermarket glass is available, that's up to his insurance coverage. Read your policy if you want to be sure only OEM parts are used to repair your Wrangler. Some carriers offer more expensive policies for people who care.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
It only took 6600 miles to score my first windshield crack. started out as a hit to the lower part and within a day, it is crawling up the glass. Got a call into Nationwide and I have OEM replacement, but I saw LiteBrite used aftermarket from KPGlass and had good luck. Anyone else? Unfortunately doesn't appear as if Gorilla Glass is available for JL's.

glass2.jpg

glass1.jpg

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It only took 6600 miles to score my first windshield crack. started out as a hit to the lower part and within a day, it is crawling up the glass. Got a call into Nationwide and I have OEM replacement, but I saw LiteBrite used aftermarket from KPGlass and had good luck. Anyone else? Unfortunately doesn't appear as if Gorilla Glass is available for JL's.

glass2.jpg

glass1.jpg
This is exactly where mine is cracked

Sponsored

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Denali Duramax, Chevy Camaro, Jeep CJ7, C7 Corvette, MB S63
I’m on my 3rd one in 5k miles and it just cracked again. A lot of rocks on the highway’s here, but it doesn’t take much to crack them. I’ve given up on trying to keep a windshield in it. Waiting on the gorilla glass option to be available.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I’m on my 3rd one in 5k miles and it just cracked again. A lot of rocks on the highway’s here, but it doesn’t take much to crack them. I’ve given up on trying to keep a windshield in it. Waiting on the gorilla glass option to be available.
LiteBrite on YouTube had a video recently where they went with a particular brand of aftermarket windshield and said it is holding up MUCH better. If I lose another and Gorilla Glass isn't out, I'll go with it. I'll find the video and get the brand name and will post it up.

I took a hard rock the other day on my 3rd windshield and it actually survived with a small chip. I was shocked. I've gone about a year without a crack. I'm crossing fingers.

I honestly don't know why they haven't come out with the Gorilla Glass yet. 18 months ago they told me it would be out in six months, so it shoudl have been on the market in January of 2019.

@JeepCares can you find out for us the status of the Gorilla Glass? These windshields have proven way too brittle. You'll sell the shit out of the Gorilla Glass if it ever gets to market.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

LiteBrite on YouTube had a video recently where they went with a particular brand of aftermarket windshield and said it is holding up MUCH better.
The problem is, they don't mention the brand. No one has been able to figure out what they had installed nor where to purchase it.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I think you'll have better luck having lunch with Bigfoot and Nessie with a Yeti bartender than you will finding the mystery KPGlass windshield.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX

Yup. They used to use street sweepers on a regular basis here in Phoenix but have rarely seen them in many years, this coupled with todays paper thin windshields... I got my first chip at just a few hundred miles, had a half ass chip repair (good ones seem few and far between) and just got another (on a surface street-not even the freeway) now at about 1200 miles. Getting another chip repair (will use a different company) to keep it from spreading and going to look into various windshield options including protective films.

I remember as a little kid roaming through old junkyards and coming across windshields laying on the ground and would jump on them, even throw things at them and wondered how they were so tough...Windshields used to be much thicker and stronger. Todays fragile windshields are yet another example of 'false economy' and 'false environmentalism' driven by government fuel mandates and over zealous activists. How many more natural resources are wasted due to multiple windshield replacements than the minuscule increase in estimated MPG these thin, lightweight windshields provide?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is, they don't mention the brand. No one has been able to figure out what they had installed nor where to purchase it.
I'm pretty sure they did ultimately name the brand. I'll have to go back to the video and look when I get a chance. I'm 99.9% sure I heard them say it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Look at 20:08 on the video. It is made by KP Glass.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It is made by KP Glass.
KP Glass is a glass shop in Massapequa, NY. They do custom glass work. From what little info the video has and the general info on the KP Glass web site, it appears that Lite Brite probably had a custom made windshield installed. I see no evidence of anything being produced for the mass market.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I think you'll have better luck having lunch with Bigfoot and Nessie with a Yeti bartender than you will finding the mystery KPGlass windshield.

I did a quick google search of KP Glass but did not come up with much so I included a screen shot of the logo, local glass guys I talked to have not heard of it...Also, as they show on their video they have lots of chips and one really bad hit low on the glass. It would seem that this glass chips as easily as the OEM but tends not to spread as bad.
Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 6.05.50 PM.png

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
KP Glass is a glass shop in Massapequa, NY. They do custom glass work. From what little info the video has and the general info on the KP Glass web site, it appears that Lite Brite probably had a custom made windshield installed. I see no evidence of anything being produced for the mass market.
@Kevin8086 said in the video they had it installed at a shop in Arkansas.

I'm not saying I know, just telling you what they showed and what he said. Watch the video again. That stamp on the windshield shows a part number, and its done in a way that doesn't look custom, to me. They acted like anyone can buy one.
Sponsored