1JeepDad

1JeepDad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Sarge Green
I woke up to some BS weather in TX today...
20210214_102402.jpg

20210214_102411.jpg

I figured it was s good time to test out @1JeepDad 's idea. I fired up Stomper, and checked airflow with my hand. There was full flow in the center...
20210214_103341.jpg

and zero air flowing on driver and passenger sides.
20210214_103353.jpg

I stuffed a flannel shirt over the center and confirmed the air instantly diverted to the sides. No internal blockage, no fake vents, just poor coverage of the windshield.

I had come prepared.
20210214_102640.jpg

After a QUICK install (no thanks to old hands and the @Vector Offroad mount that I LOVE), 50-ish% of the air now flows to the sides.
20210214_104302.jpg

So THANKS @1JeepDad for a practical and highly effective tip! 👊🏼
Thanks for the shout out and enjoy a warm and clear windshield!!
Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I just went to the Amazon link, and it says they are not available...
Maybe a strip of Gorilla Tape will do the job
The smaller packs are available. I bet they saw all these drooling Jeep owners and said, "Hey we can make twice the cash, lets split up the big bag and make smaller bags and charge the same price. "

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I love this hack. So smart. Would be nice if Jeep designed it right the first time like a lot of other things but I kinda love the hackability of the Jeep. Unlike most other vehicles, Jeep’s have so many opportunities to personalize beyond factory - small and large. I’ve probably spent my kids college fund on all these hacks and things though. But hey, I paid for my own college so, so can they (mostly)

306overland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 YJ, 2020 JLU Sahara Altitude(sold), 2023 JLUR
I am ordering some today! I have had the ends of the window freeze up even with full defrost mode. I am sure the -35*C is a contributing factor!!

Wokiebear

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
FYI: These are the same plugs used to seal the top of iron fencing, same size. Lowe's had some here in their fencing department...probably Home Depot does, too. Check there or other stores of like means.

Sponsored

Flyper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU Rubicon
Installed the “hack” and tested it out in the -20F here in Minnesota this morning. As our Canadian friend mentioned, extreme cold is a problem when trying to defrost the windshield on these Jeeps. I can say it works great! I am sure it will be a improvement on preventing a lot of the ice buildup on the sides during certain snow conditions. Thanks @1JeepDad for the suggestion!

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
I found a new purpose for my Corona face mask I keep in the Jeep for when I go into stores and etc. It was snowing the other day and as usual the shitty defroster wasn't working on the edges of the front window.

Out of desperation, I through my mask in the center of the dash and walla!!! It worked perfectly for deflecting the heat to the edges. Problem solved.

Moxo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 80th Anniversary
The defrost problem is one of the first things I noticed since I've had trash weather since the first day I got my JL. The outside edges required full blast hot to get good. I've ordered an 8 pack. Thanks for the tip.

Sponsored

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S, Bright White, Freedom Pkg
Ordered my 10 pack. Thanks for the great fix!

JennnyB

First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Human Resources
I've seen lots of comments about a poor defroster, and I"ve only had to use the defroster once so far, but it seemed to work fine for me. Are most people not using the defrost button?? Maybe with some more use, I will find out it doesn't work well too. We will see. When it is on defrost the fan speed seems to be at a setting of 50 out of 10. It is screaming.
Saturday was the first time I experienced this issue. And, I was using the defrost setting. I will be ordering these plugs. My 2005 never had a problem like this. :(

kturzins

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Ocean Blue, 2020 Rubicon Red
I wanted to verify for those of us struggling to defrost our windshields that this fix really does work. I ordered the 5/8 tubbing plug caps and plugged every other hole in the center portion. Now, the outer portion blows air equally like the center portion! Pics for reference and super easy! Thank you to everyone that has posted this fix, as a new jeeper, really appreciate it!

20210210_160600.jpg
Thanks for the tip. Just ordered some plugs and will give it a try. It'll start to warm up here in a few weeks and snow will be wetter and stickier.

orangemachine

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
new to forum iam orange machine,i have a2018 jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon.I have noticed on page some people are having a hard time finding plugs for front window vents to help with defrosting windshield fully. i have found what works is a 5/8in socket organizer they are found at Lowes and home depot and harbor freight,in stock and no waiting for back logs to be filled, also some people are saying fan speed is high, i found out that by turning control below radio will adjust fan speed

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
Hmm maybe another "cheap fix" for it lay your gloves in the middle while you are driving, gloves get toasty warm and dry too? Must just be that I've always had a glasses case or something setting up in that area in past Jeeps. Or in it's handicaped fat sluggish cousin's military Hummers and 2 1\2 ton trucks with really sh@@@@ defroster. 🤪
Sponsored