1JeepDad

1JeepDad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Sarge Green
I've seen lots of comments about a poor defroster, and I"ve only had to use the defroster once so far, but it seemed to work fine for me. Are most people not using the defrost button?? Maybe with some more use, I will find out it doesn't work well too. We will see. When it is on defrost the fan speed seems to be at a setting of 50 out of 10. It is screaming.
The defrost does a get about 85% of the windshield, but it does not defrost the sides and that creates a blind spot - this fix will push more hot air into those corners to defrost 100% of the windshield.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen lots of comments about a poor defroster, and I"ve only had to use the defroster once so far, but it seemed to work fine for me. Are most people not using the defrost button?? Maybe with some more use, I will find out it doesn't work well too. We will see. When it is on defrost the fan speed seems to be at a setting of 50 out of 10. It is screaming.
I've not encountered it too often, but in the worst ice or ice storm conditions it doesn't defrost evenly. Great in the middle, bad on the outside edges. My JK is exactly the same way. My YJ was also the same.

Sounds like the 2012-2018 JK's didn't suffer from this.

But like I said, in most situations it works fine. I've got a set of plugs in mine right now that a forum brother gave me to try but I haven't encountered the severe icing needed to test them. But I've used similar plugs to these to good effect.

Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Perhaps one day I will have to use this. Being in New Orleans, probably not. I had a '17 Camaro that would leak cold air out of the defrost vent, and would cause condensation on the windshield during higher humidity times. I eventually put 3M black vinyl over the whole defrost vent and never used it in 4 years of ownership.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
So how many plug caps did you use in the center? Also your photo of dash vents look like a long plastic strip. What is that?
Jack

I wanted to verify for those of us struggling to defrost our windshields that this fix really does work. I ordered the 5/8 tubbing plug caps and plugged every other hole in the center portion. Now, the outer portion blows air equally like the center portion! Pics for reference and super easy! Thank you to everyone that has posted this fix, as a new jeeper, really appreciate it!

Jeep Wrangler JL Windshield Defroster Fix 20210211_095911

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Are you missing a button? My dash has the defrost button right next to the stereo volume. I am missing the heated seats and steering wheel buttons.... :(
s-l640.jpg
I have read many complaints on the JL defroster. Yesterday it was very cold with ice and snow and with my climate control on "Auto" the outer driver's side of the windshield started to ice. This was the first time for me to see ice formation on my new JL. I thought I was in trouble. But I pressed the defroster button indicated above in above photo, which put the all of the airflow through the defroster vents and it also put the blower on high. The ice was gone in about 2 minutes and the wipers wiped away the melted ice, which is also known as "water". 🤣

OP
OP
1JeepDad

1JeepDad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So how many plug caps did you use in the center? Also your photo of dash vents look like a long plastic strip. What is that?
Jack
I used 11 caps

Sponsored

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Thanks for the heads up on this. We have had terrible cold, icy, snowy, etc. about like much of the country. I could have cried last week driving home in single digit temps and sleet building on the windshield. I sized up the malfunction & put one of my gloves over the center to force more hot air to the sides. My thoughts were is effing Jeep serious? Needless to say I just touched off an order for the plugs.

OP
OP
1JeepDad

1JeepDad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the heads up on this. We have had terrible cold, icy, snowy, etc. about like much of the country. I could have cried last week driving home in single digit temps and sleet building on the windshield. I sized up the malfunction & put one of my gloves over the center to force more hot air to the sides. My thoughts were is effing Jeep serious? Needless to say I just touched off an order for the plugs.
Enjoy them and the full visibility with ice and snow!!

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The defroster performs soo poorly in canadian winters (think -4F and colder) I've ordered the 30 pack in hopes they work. I will gift the left overs if it does to other jeepers in my area... *fingers crossed*

OP
OP
1JeepDad

1JeepDad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The defroster performs soo poorly in canadian winters (think -4F and colder) I've ordered the 30 pack in hopes they work. I will gift the left overs if it does to other jeepers in my area... *fingers crossed*
Let me know how you make out!!

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation