Sponsored

Winch Mount for Plastic Bumper

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

I opted against the steel bumper group on my JLU-R, but still needed a winch. So I built a simple winch mount plate and performed some plastic surgery:

gjMDvQM.jpg

IyWydje.jpg

9B6HE2s.jpg

5MCV44V.jpg

UbRjWUs.jpg

pVp0szO.jpg

Fq2hVQD.jpg

I cleaned up the fog light wiring after these pictures were taken, so it's not dangling in the way of the winch spool as it shows here... I'm happy with how it turned out :)
I saw this thread well over a year ago when I was researching JLs and trying to decide what to buy. I wasn't crazy about spending money on the steel bumper group after hearing how poor the rear was and planning to get a tire carrier in the future anyway. So when I found this thread I decided I'd stick with the plastic bumpers for now and try to build my own plate for my zeon10s. Can't take credit for all of it, I had some help.
20210227_204946.jpg
20210227_204934.jpg
20210228_172248.jpg
20210228_235052.jpg
20210301_000552.jpg
20210228_235728.jpg

Decided to skip putting the winch on and have a tissue dispenser for the broncos that get stuck on the trail 😂
20210320_192258.jpg
20210320_195800.jpg
20210321_114422.jpg
Sponsored

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
I saw this thread well over a year ago when I was researching JLs and trying to decide what to buy. I wasn't crazy about spending money on the steel bumper group after hearing how poor the rear was and planning to get a tire carrier in the future anyway. So when I found this thread I decided I'd stick with the plastic bumpers for now and try to build my own plate for my zeon10s. Can't take credit for all of it, I had some help.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mount for Plastic Bumper 20210321_114422

Decided to skip putting the winch on and have a tissue dispenser for the broncos that get stuck on the trail 😂
This is hot! Nice work on the plate and the cutting of the stock bumper. Well done.

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher

Trekkor2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
The plastic bumper shells are similar, so theoretically it should work on a Sport as well. @Trekkor2020 did you use this Rubicon steel bumper winch mount? https://maximus-3.com/home/jl-winch-mount-kit
The Fixer - yes, that is the winch plate that I used. It fit perfect. I believe it would also work on a Sport since bumper front frame rails are the same. I don’t know if the sport plastic bumper would be useable or not. But pictures of the sport bumper are very close to the Rubicon plastic bumper in shape.

Trekkor2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
The Fixer - yes, that is the winch plate that I used. It fit perfect. I believe it would also work on a Sport since bumper front frame rails are the same. I don’t know if the sport plastic bumper would be useable or not. But pictures of the sport bumper are very close to the Rubicon plastic bumper in shape.
I installed the Warn EVO 12S, Maximus-3 winch plate, Go Rhino 332000T Rockline Textured Black Fairlead Mount Plate (to take up some space between the winch and the plastic bumper), Tuffy license plate holder, Maximus-3 Tow/D-ring brackets. I bought the winch/mount plate kit from RubiTrux. Great price, no sales tax, and free shipping. I had to cut up the plastic and steel factory bumper, but the mounting plate fit perfect. No mods needed to my factory steel skid plate (Not the same as the skid plate for the steel Rubicon bumper). And obviously everything outside of the tow hooks is plastic and will bend very easily.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I installed the Warn EVO 12S, Maximus-3 winch plate, Go Rhino 332000T Rockline Textured Black Fairlead Mount Plate (to take up some space between the winch and the plastic bumper), Tuffy license plate holder, Maximus-3 Tow/D-ring brackets. I bought the winch/mount plate kit from RubiTrux. Great price, no sales tax, and free shipping. I had to cut up the plastic and steel factory bumper, but the mounting plate fit perfect. No mods needed to my factory steel skid plate (Not the same as the skid plate for the steel Rubicon bumper). And obviously everything outside of the tow hooks is plastic and will bend very easily.
Awesome, thanks for the detailed info! Definitely going to reference this thread in the future if/when the time comes for me to need a winch. Right now I only go wheeling once or twice a year because the closest legal spot is a 3-hour drive each way, and I've only just started out in the hobby. I need to get my driving skills up before attacking difficult trails that might require recovery.

Sponsored

Trekkor2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Awesome, thanks for the detailed info! Definitely going to reference this thread in the future if/when the time comes for me to need a winch. Right now I only go wheeling once or twice a year because the closest legal spot is a 3-hour drive each way, and I've only just started out in the hobby. I need to get my driving skills up before attacking difficult trails that might require recovery.
Same here. We have only had this vehicle off-road once. We are in Dallas area. Not
Much close. But we have Jeep Jamborees scheduled this year for Oregon and Moab. Plus a trip to Colorado in July. Hope I never use the winch.

Nvrmor

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubi on order
Occupation
Brandt power unit operator
Thanks to Toby, I decided to do a version of this on my Gladiator Rubicon. I bought a Maximus-3 winch plate and it worked perfect.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mount for Plastic Bumper maximus-3-warn-vr-evo-winch-mount-package

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mount for Plastic Bumper maximus-3-warn-vr-evo-winch-mount-package

Quick question for you I’m planning on doing this set up what exactly is the red part between the plastic of the bumper and rockline fairlead mount?

Trekkor2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Quick question for you I’m planning on doing this set up what exactly is the red part between the plastic of the bumper and rockline fairlead mount?
Nvrmor- good eye. I forgot to list that part. It is another aluminum fair lead that is performing as a spacer between the plastic bumper and the Go Rhino mount plate. I also used some steel spacers on the fairlead mount bolts to help take up some of the gap. Without it, the outer plastic bumper would be deformed after tightening the bolts that hold the front Warn Fairlead to the mount plate. I just bought an inexpensive part on Amazon. Remember, the front bumper is actually 3 layers (steel cross beam, plastic impact absorption layer, outer plastic cosmetic layer.) you have to cut out the center of the steel and middle plastic bumper. A different mount plate may extend farther forward without the need for the spacers. YaeKoo 10 inch Billet Polished Aluminum Bolt-Pattern Hawse Fairlead Synthetic Winch 8000-15000 LBs for ATV/UTV Rope Cable (Anodized Red, 10'') https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VT5D1X...abc_9F0GDNCR1YYAV8SAJ2SH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

226A37A9-9B68-4B69-8EB6-CD1C5C163F5F.jpeg

827AE27C-399B-4FBA-A906-CE9D92A1FA4A.jpeg

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Nvrmor- good eye. I forgot to list that part. It is another aluminum fair lead that is performing as a spacer between the plastic bumper and the Go Rhino mount plate. I also used some steel spacers on the fairlead mount bolts to help take up some of the gap. Without it, the outer plastic bumper would be deformed after tightening the bolts that hold the front Warn Fairlead to the mount plate. I just bought an inexpensive part on Amazon. Remember, the front bumper is actually 3 layers (steel cross beam, plastic impact absorption layer, outer plastic cosmetic layer.) you have to cut out the center of the steel and middle plastic bumper. A different mount plate may extend farther forward without the need for the spacers. YaeKoo 10 inch Billet Polished Aluminum Bolt-Pattern Hawse Fairlead Synthetic Winch 8000-15000 LBs for ATV/UTV Rope Cable (Anodized Red, 10'') https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VT5D1X...abc_9F0GDNCR1YYAV8SAJ2SH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

226A37A9-9B68-4B69-8EB6-CD1C5C163F5F.jpeg

827AE27C-399B-4FBA-A906-CE9D92A1FA4A.jpeg
Did you mount that Tuffy plate under the maximus winch plate?

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Great info for the "JL Plastic Bumper Winch Plate", just ordered the Maximus-3 winch plate.
Sponsored