sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Received my Maximus-3 winch plate to install on my 2018 JLUS. Will follow recommendations of this thread, only thing a little confusing is the space between the plate and plastic front bumper. May do the additional fairhead to fill the space or come up with something different. Now I need to go shopping for the winch.

IMG_2833.jpeg
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Hi,

I just came across this one.

Rock Hard 4X4 RH-90205 Winch Mounting Plate for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT with Factory Plastic Bumper

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90205.htm

It looks like, from the directions and pictures, part of it, the rear portion, mounts to the frame, while the forward end is wedged up to the tow hooks, using them to absorb the forward force.

I just ordered one through Quadratec.com, so I'll see, as well as post pictures.

My old JKU had a plastic front bumper, and yet I easily found a winch mount for it, made by Warn, which mounted directly to the frame, but still allowed you to keep the plastic bumper. I wonder why, outside of this one from Rockhard, no one else is offering them?

RH-90205-2T.jpg
That is what I used. Easy to attach and no issues with blocking radiator.
PXL_20210615_221600134.jpg
PXL_20201224_225456102.jpg
PXL_20201224_225536086.jpg

tjd2003

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator High Altitude Ecodiesel
Received my Maximus-3 winch plate to install on my 2018 JLUS. Will follow recommendations of this thread, only thing a little confusing is the space between the plate and plastic front bumper. May do the additional fairhead to fill the space or come up with something different. Now I need to go shopping for the winch.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mount for Plastic Bumper PXL_20201224_225536086
Have you installed this yet? I have a High Altitude which has the same bumper as yours just painted to match. I'm hoping this worked out well for you; if so it's on my list to do!

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Have you installed this yet? I have a High Altitude which has the same bumper as yours just painted to match. I'm hoping this worked out well for you; if so it's on my list to do!
I broke mine down most of the way today. I’ll be installing it tomorrow or this weekend. I’ll try to take good photos for you. I also have the front recovery hooks from Maximus-3.
Edit: assuming you’re not done already!

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Ok, the sport bumper is different. It’s only 2 pieces.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mount for Plastic Bumper 223FC8E8-B356-45E8-96CE-DACBC5F8B106

I’ve still got to cut out a bit from the bottom to clear the winch plate. I’m sacrificing 2 of the bolts that hold the metal to the plastic (and sandwich the recovery hooks). I forgot to take a picture of the plastic shell before I temporarily bolted it to the Jeep. I’ll also have to re-run the wire before I cut out the hole for the line to run through.
Edit: add photo. It’s upside down, so the notches are for clearing the recovery point bases on the bottom of the winch plate. The top is to clear the winch. The gold dots are what I still have to cut off to clear the winch plate. I took it slow so I didn’t chop off too much. After I clear the plate I’ll drill out the slot for the winch line to feed through and sandwich the metal and the plastic between a fairlead plate and my fairlead cover. Then I can file everything smooth.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mount for Plastic Bumper 0F81215F-3C02-40F1-B696-27599B4B0C07

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Alright, full breakdown on the Sport plastic bumper. I don't recommend this, I'm just being cheap.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mount for Plastic Bumper IMG_1360.JPG

I'll have to figure out how to dress up the edges of the cut plastic. As you can see, I didn't need to cut in as far on the outermost layer of shell. Front view without the guideplate:
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mount for Plastic Bumper IMG_1354.JPG

Rear of plastic bumper. As you can see, I left the wires where they were since they weren't in the way:
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mount for Plastic Bumper IMG_1355.JPG

Close-up of notches I had to cut out for the recovery pints. Not necessary with the Maximus-3 winch plate by itself:
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mount for Plastic Bumper IMG_1356.JPG

Here you can see I had to notch the top to clear the top of the winch:
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mount for Plastic Bumper IMG_1357.JPG

I also had to put a cut through the metal plate underneath the plastic airdam. You can't tell from the photo, but it's all bent because I didn't feel like making cuts for the recover points. I'm not throwing the plastic airdam back on, so I left it like this. If I was, I'd notch out the recovery points too and then have to make cutouts for the airdam itself:
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mount for Plastic Bumper IMG_1361.JPG

I don't really recommend this. I'm just being cheap and lazy. The Sport (not Sport S) bumper is one blown plastic piece and that metal plate you can see in my previous post. If I didn't already have the winch mounted to the plate from my prior JL with recovery points, I would not have done this.

Gladiator Guy

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Alright, full breakdown on the Sport plastic bumper. I don't recommend this, I'm just being cheap.

I'll have to figure out how to dress up the edges of the cut plastic. As you can see, I didn't need to cut in as far on the outermost layer of shell. Front view without the guideplate:

Rear of plastic bumper. As you can see, I left the wires where they were since they weren't in the way:

Close-up of notches I had to cut out for the recovery pints. Not necessary with the Maximus-3 winch plate by itself:

I also had to put a cut through the metal plate underneath the plastic airdam. You can't tell from the photo, but it's all bent because I didn't feel like making cuts for the recover points. I'm not throwing the plastic airdam back on, so I left it like this. If I was, I'd notch out the recovery points too and then have to make cutouts for the airdam itself:

I don't really recommend this. I'm just being cheap and lazy. The Sport (not Sport S) bumper is one blown plastic piece and that metal plate you can see in my previous post. If I didn't already have the winch mounted to the plate from my prior JL with recovery points, I would not have done this.
Thanks for posting this. I have been contemplating a custom installation of a winch on my Gladiator Sport - your photos (especially of the deconstructed bumper) and shared experience has been very helpful. I plan to tackle that next week using an LOD Signature plate.

kwilson046

First Name
kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 2024 Wrangler Willy
Has anyone who has installed the RH-90205 Rock Hard winch mount on their JL have any over heating issues due to winch blocking the grill?

ChrisInTexas

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Has anyone who has installed the RH-90205 Rock Hard winch mount on their JL have any over heating issues due to winch blocking the grill?
I don't have the rock hard winch plate, but overheating is a non issue with mine. Airflow isn't exactly a concern for anyone when crawling along at 2-5mph, so the winch isn't really blocking anything.

20231004_130931.jpg

Sponsored

dpsanborn

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler S Unlimted JL
I have a Sport S and decided to make a custom winch plate as well. Luckily I found this thread to inspire me. It was way more work then I thought it was going to be, but if you have the skills it is a fun project and let me practice my welding. In the end, the 2x4ft peice of 1/4 steel was $60 and the XBULL winch was $289. I cut the blown plastic piece so my winch plate butts right up to the front of the bumper. I like the look of the stock bumper so this works for me, maybe I will get a aftermarket bumper at some point, but it is nice having this since no one else has the same thing. Once you take it all a part you can start the planning process. If anyone has any questions , just PM me.

IMG_5373.jpeg

IMG_5374.jpeg

IMG_5375.jpeg

IMG_5376.jpeg

IMG_5377.jpeg

IMG_5387.jpeg

IMG_5388.jpeg

dpsanborn

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler S Unlimted JL
Just to be clear, I copied TOBYW (started this thread and inspired me to do this) plate design as close as I could from the pics. You will have to make your own measurements, but the design works well and I am happy with the results.

easterr

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7

JeepsR4Me19

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Mount for Plastic Bumper IMG_5388

Is the plastic on these bumpers the type that I could heat up with heat gun and bend them instead of cutting? Maybe bend that corner in so as to make it look more factory. I AM CHEAP also but also its kinda smart to use what you have. Thieves look for stuff that sticks out and fancy. They see a plastic bumper all cut up or the winch is hidden behind a cover its makes it out of sight out of mind. Im just cheap.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Is the plastic on these bumpers the type that I could heat up with heat gun and bend them instead of cutting? Maybe bend that corner in so as to make it look more factory. I AM CHEAP also but also its kinda smart to use what you have. Thieves look for stuff that sticks out and fancy. They see a plastic bumper all cut up or the winch is hidden behind a cover its makes it out of sight out of mind. Im just cheap.
I’m not familiar enough with plastic work to answer that with any real authority but I think it is too thick to heat through enough for bending.
Sponsored