Winch Mount for Plastic Bumper

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Thanks for the write up. I was thinking of trying the same thing. I’m probably going to go the Steel Bumper route though. I like the more recessed look. But excellent work.
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I also want to go with a premade winch mount. Why wouldn't the ones made for the factory steel work? Aside from cutting plastic, I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Thinking of going this route as well. Just looking at the install instructions doesn't help much, but in theory looks like a viable alternative. Curious if anyone has or is going to try using the factory winch mount with the plastic bumper.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Amazing build. What is the 39 1/2 mean on the blue tape? Ride height before after?

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
Wonderful craftsmanship with your build. Been thinking about doing this one for awhile. You should look at selling those plates?

OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU-R
Amazing build. What is the 39 1/2 mean on the blue tape? Ride height before after?
Thanks! Yes that's exactly what it was for, just to see how much it sagged after adding the weight of the plate and winch.

Wonderful craftsmanship with your build. Been thinking about doing this one for awhile. You should look at selling those plates?
Thank you! Unfortunately in this litigious world we live in, a backyard hack like me peddling things like this simply doesn't math out. When something fails and a busload of nuns is injured, Flo over at Geiko just doesn't provide enough help.

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Thanks! Yes that's exactly what it was for, just to see how much it sagged after adding the weight of the plate and winch.

Thank you! Unfortunately in this litigious world we live in, a backyard hack like me peddling things like this simply doesn't math out. When something fails and a busload of nuns is injured, Flo over at Geiko just doesn't provide enough help.
I wonder if one of the commercially available winch plates could be used for those of us without the fab skills?

I went with the OEM steel bumper and Rusty’s winch plate. Rusty’s does not have the built in fairlead like yours and the Warn

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2007 Audi RS4, 2014 Audi SQ5, 2005.5 Audi A4 Avant
Occupation
realtor
I opted against the steel bumper group on my JLU-R, but still needed a winch. So I built a simple winch mount plate and performed some plastic surgery:

gjMDvQM.jpg

IyWydje.jpg

9B6HE2s.jpg

5MCV44V.jpg

UbRjWUs.jpg

pVp0szO.jpg

Fq2hVQD.jpg

I cleaned up the fog light wiring after these pictures were taken, so it's not dangling in the way of the winch spool as it shows here... I'm happy with how it turned out :)
Amazing work. Could I get you to make one for me? I absolutely would pay. How much was the Powerplant winch and which model is it? Thanks.

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2007 Audi RS4, 2014 Audi SQ5, 2005.5 Audi A4 Avant
Occupation
realtor

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I opted against the steel bumper group on my JLU-R, but still needed a winch. So I built a simple winch mount plate and performed some plastic surgery:

I cleaned up the fog light wiring after these pictures were taken, so it's not dangling in the way of the winch spool as it shows here... I'm happy with how it turned out :)
I haven't had the plastic off my bumper yet so I'm wondering if you had the cut any metal out of the oe font bumper?

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Necrothreading as I'm planning to do something similar.

I can't see how a winch plate meant for the steel bumper wouldn't work, although it might require minor mods - I have no idea. If they didn't seem to all cost $200 I'd use one as a foundation, but I just can't bring myself to pay that for some mild steel plate with a few holes drilled in it

Nice work OP

PaulG

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Tobyw, Been about a 1 1/2 years now with your home made plastic bumper winch mount. Any thoughts or comments on how it has worked out? I am thinking about trying to fit one of the steel bumper winch mounting plates inside the plastic bumper on my 19 Rubi. Really hesitant to spend $200+ experimenting.

OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU-R
I agree with what a lot of others have said/commented - a typical aftermarket winch plate would likely work just fine with a similar surgical procedure to the plastic bumper assembly.

I cannot comment on how it's working out after 1-1/2 years though, as I built a complete replacement bumper last fall: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/winch-bumper-build.17126/

That said, I see no reason it would not still be working out just dandy.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

I just came across this one.

Rock Hard 4X4 RH-90205 Winch Mounting Plate for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT with Factory Plastic Bumper

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90205.htm

It looks like, from the directions and pictures, part of it, the rear portion, mounts to the frame, while the forward end is wedged up to the tow hooks, using them to absorb the forward force.

I just ordered one through Quadratec.com, so I'll see, as well as post pictures.

My old JKU had a plastic front bumper, and yet I easily found a winch mount for it, made by Warn, which mounted directly to the frame, but still allowed you to keep the plastic bumper. I wonder why, outside of this one from Rockhard, no one else is offering them?

RH-90205-2T.jpg

Last edited:

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

I just came across this one.

Rock Hard 4X4 RH-90205 Winch Mounting Plate for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT with Factory Plastic Bumper

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90205.htm

It looks like, from the directions and pictures, part of it, the rear portion, mounts to the frame, while the forward end is wedged up to the tow hooks, using them to absorb the forward force.

I just ordered one through Quadratec.com, so I'll see, as well as post pictures.

My old JKU had a plastic front bumper, and yet I easily found a winch mount for it, made by Warn, which mounted directly to the frame, but still allowed you to keep the plastic bumper. I wonder why, outside of this one from Rockhard, no one else is offering them?

RH-90205-2T.jpg
The only problem I can see is this mount would block a large area of the radiator opening.
Sponsored