RR Spartacus Bumper, Rusty's winch plate with Smittybuilt winch Install

Circlep

First Name
DeWayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 04Chevy 2500HD/ duramax, Yamaha Royal Star Venture
I replaced my plastic bumper with the Rugged Ridge Spartacus, used a Rusty's winch plate because the Rugged Ridge would not be available until October. I installed a Smittybuilt X2O 10,000 with this package also. I had to make some modification because of fog light brackets and hid the winch, so I thought I would do a write up on the mod's.

I removed the front bumper and removed the fog lights from my JL sport, there are videos out there to see this so I am not going into that detail just remove all of the screws and it pretty easy to get to everything.

I used a Rusty's winch mount and it was an easy install and I liked how it fit between the frame. Just remove the inside frame brackets and replace with winch plate. Brackets on the floor in pic. Winch set down in place with a little room to spare.
IMG_0034.JPG

Next I started putting the Spartacus bumper together and mounting the fog lights. When looking at the instruction it showed me this! (see pic) It would have been nice to know before I started the bumper install but this information is not on any website and most say factory fog lights will fit. I contacted Rugged Ridge and they said there are 6 versions for JL fog light mounts and they could not accommodate all.
IMG_0036.JPG

This is the bracket that is on my JL sport.
IMG_0037.JPG

I modified the bumper and they tell you to do this in instruction for other brackets. i cut the plastic post off on the inside of the plastic bumper housing for the fog lights and left the outside post full length. I drilled holes on the fog lights brackets so that they would align with the inside post I cut off. I used the washers on the screws for the outside posts. They fit in the holes good just had to adjust tension on outside screws to get aligned.
IMG_0038.JPG

Light mounted.
IMG_0039.JPG

Next I go to mount the roller fairlead and discover the bumper is setup for hawse fairlead so I had to do some modifications here also. Rusty's winch plate also comes with a fairlead plate but the rugged ridge name plate was in the way so I relocated it and installed the plate with a spacer behind it to give the roller fairlead a solid mount.
IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

I installed bumper brackets on frame just make sure all of the holes line up I had to ream out a couple of mine. Next is mount the bumper but I wanted to use the plastic air dam (skid plate) from my factory bumper and the trim pieces that go between the bumper and the grille. I trimmed some of the end off of the air dam so that it would fit between the bumper and the mounting brackets. I used the two holes on each frame mounting brackets then drilled new holes to match up with the clips to pull the air dam up.
IMG_0043.JPG

Trim piece cut so that it would mount between bumper/winch and grille.
IMG_0045.JPG

The spartacus comes with a winch delete plate so I decide to cover the winch up so that it would be hidden in the bumper. I cut the delete plate so that it would fit around the winch only leaving the control box and shift lever revealed. I used bed liner in the spray can to repaint the delete plate after cutting.
IMG_0049.JPG

Here it is as a stubby! 4 bolts on each side and it is a full width, pretty easy!
IMG_0047.JPG

Project complete! With light bar mounted.
IMG_0051.JPG

I know this is not a step by step write up but there are videos on the bumper and winch install. I wanted to share the mod's needed and the different things I did to make the jeep mine. I think it gave it a clean look and will work for what I need it to do. The added weight did not drop the jeep enough for me to add a leveling kit so I did not have to do that.
Sponsored

mischman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Im thinking about getting the same bumper, is it easy to move the stock fogs over? Why would they make it to where the OEM fogs fit?

OP
OP
Circlep

Circlep

First Name
DeWayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im thinking about getting the same bumper, is it easy to move the stock fogs over? Why would they make it to where the OEM fogs fit?
Taking the stock fog lights out of the plastic bumper is pretty easy just removing screws to get to them. The issue is having the right mounting bracket on your OEM lights to mount into the bumper. The Spartacus bumper takes a 4 screw mount bracket and the ones that came on my sport were a 3 screw mount. You can order there fog lights or order a bracket from Mopar or upgrade and get some LED fog lights.

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great. Thanks for the write up. Considering this bumper

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
Had same issue with Warn full width. Fog light brackets I have do not look like the ones in the instructions. Modify time!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Circlep

Circlep

First Name
DeWayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Circlep

Circlep

First Name
DeWayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Wzabrouski

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Occupation
Director of Operations
Is that the jk version bumper? I spoke with rugged ridge about a hoop for the jl spartacus bumper and they said one is not available at this time.
Not sure. Possibly the overrider bar was from the JK version but works fine on the JL

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Nice job, looks clean tucked away like that. I bought the Spartacus bumper as well for my 2018 JL. The store I went through didn't have the winch plate so I have to get one. You mentioned a video of the bumper and winch plate install? I looked and couldn't find one. Got a linked saved?

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
So I can use different winch plates other than the Rugged Ridge winch plate for the Spartacus bumper? The one I have requires me to grind off metal tabs on the frame. I don't want to do that. Give the manufacture a reason to void a warranty. I have a Warn winch. If I could find a winch plate that doesn't require me to grind the frame tabs, I would try it.

I put the Spartacus bumper on yesterday but without the winch. Wasn't happy about that.
Sponsored