Why Not A Rubicon?

marek

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep Wrangler Moab 03 Mercedes SL 500
For me the reason was, I just wanted that 4H AUTO very bad. Would love lockers too. But wanted 4H AUTO much more.
Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
This thread is funny, haha. My bougie self just wanted the niceties that were limited to the Sahara and Rubicon trims (in particular, the LED light package with the DRLs on the fender since Iā€™m Asian so need that extra light to see :CWL:). At the end of the day, I got 12% off sticker on a Rubi + $3K more than any other dealer was offering for my trade in the color I wanted (Sting-Gray) for less than a Sahara Altitude (I like the black accents) so it was too good of a deal. Will I ever crawl or flex? Doubtful; I want a Fast and Furious street/beach Jeep :rock: and the higher fenders will let me run 37s (purely for looks) and allow a re-gear to 4.88s with the stronger axles. Not to mention, Iā€™ve leased all my vehicles before because I felt like I was ā€˜settlingā€™ and wanted to buy something Iā€™d keep for a while. The price differential between the Sahara and Rubicon trims was negligible to me.

Either way, I donā€™t care what generation or trim another Jeeper drives, as long as they wave back, Iā€™m happy :like: - cheers!

Last edited:

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
If i build a Sport S as close as i can to what i got in my Rubicon, i get just shy of $6K difference but would be missing or need a set of wheels and tires, 8in screen, proximity keyless and color-matched fenders. To me that cost was difference was not enough to not get what i really wanted and would make me happy out of the box and not have to worry about mods/upgrades/projects.

Alh84

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep jl
This ties into my OP; you will upgrading be it Rubicon or any other model and it seems fair to say that you are not paying any more for those parts on a Rubicon versus any other model. For clarity, I am talking about the usual suspects--tie-rods, drag links, trackbars, springs, shocks. It is all about personal preference to a large degree.
True
This ties into my OP; you will upgrading be it Rubicon or any other model and it seems fair to say that you are not paying any more for those parts on a Rubicon versus any other model. For clarity, I am talking about the usual suspects--tie-rods, drag links, trackbars, springs, shocks. It is all about personal preference to a large degree.
true

FinnMalloy04

First Name
Finn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Grand Cherokee Limited
If i build a Sport S as close as i can to what i got in my Rubicon, i get just shy of $6K difference but would be missing or need a set of wheels and tires, 8in screen, proximity keyless and color-matched fenders. To me that cost was difference was not enough to not get what i really wanted and would make me happy out of the box and not have to worry about mods/upgrades/projects.
I want a Rubicon Because of the axles and lockers aswell as the sway bar disconnect if IM being completely honest. If i could get that on a base model sport i 100% would.

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
All,

I apologize for responding to a half year idle thread, but having a lifted Sport on 35s with Sway-bar Quick Disconnects, I do have a pretty relevant perspective that I'd like to share.

I've been able to wheel my rig with open diffs (on both axles, not even an LSD) over many difficult to severe trails here in my home state of Colorado, all with remarkably great success. Sports are way more capable than what most people give them credit for. Especially if setup properly.

My desire was to see way more of my state by trekking into rather than bouncing upon every over-sized boulder along the way. Certainly, 'Stay-the-Trail' requires going over rather than around obstacles, and the lockers do crawl over the extreme crap better than anything, but I found a lot of enjoyment in doing these things with good Jeeping skill rather than shear brute force.

1. If the route is too severe, I'll find a different trail. I don't need to see every square inch of the Rocky Mountains. Anything within a few miles of the same mountain range is absolutely sufficient.

2. With careful consideration of the best approach and proper line, I haven't yet found an obstacle that I wasn't able to tackle. Granted, I tend to wheel with other experienced Jeepers that are more than happy to help solve and spot me within the less than extreme stuff.

3. My 2019 2-doorJL with the software implemented BLD (Brake Lock Differentials) works pretty amazingly great if I'm really (very) disciplined at keeping a light foot and using exactly only just enough torque, in order to keep from losing traction. Where the lockers allow most everyone to just muscle their way through most crap, open diffs require a whole different approach. Wheel slip is something that must carefully be both monitored and managed while maintaining forward momentum. More throttle is seldom ever the best solution.

4. Accomplishing the trails in a Sport where only Rubicon's tend to venture is a pretty good feeling. I'm not sure every Rubi driver could do whatever trail I do without their lockers. But I get it, why would you not use your available equipment? Still, I like to think of it as comparing a sail boat to a power cruiser. One simply requires a throttle, the other requires a little more skill, a lot of finesse and truthfully, some pretty good luck.

For me, this is what Jeeping is all about.

Clearly, having a Rubi and not using the lockers, unless becoming stuck, would provide the exact same experience, but part of the adrenaline rush is knowing that you don't have that as an option. I'm having more fun with the entire open diff complexity than I can adequately describe. If this makes any sense at all.

For you Rubicon drivers, probably not that much. For many of you, it's just about the badge rather than the accomplishment. To each their own. If this makes me an oddball, I'll wear that badge with honor.

And in all honesty, I just didn't have the damn deep pockets for a fribben Rubi. Otherwise I wouldn't be making these excuses.

Either way, I'm having a blast. Hope you're doing the same no matter what model and trim Wrangler you're driving.

Jay

Orangecrush9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys JLU
For me, not an issue of cost, but for my first Wrangler, I didn't see the utility in going for a Rubicon right out the gate. Not having done serious off-roading, I'm sure whatever I choose to engage in in the northeast is going to be more than enough for my capable Willys and if I find in 2-3 years that I'm putting this Jeep through her paces, then sure, trade it, upgrade to the Rubi and call it a day (until I upgrade that). For now, I figured I could save the ~5-7k and make minor mods myself. Considering my first Wrangler the tester to see if I want to go further. And I'll look at the 9 out of 10 Rubicons around my area that look great, are more capable, and never get taken off-road lol. To each their own and however they wish to spend their money.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with a lot that has been said here. Iā€™ve owned a JLU Sport S and now a Rubicon. If I were planning to replace the axles, I would have definitely stayed with the Sport.

I should say that the Sport is pretty capable off roader in itā€™s base form. But. putting a cheap lift and 35s on it made it more than capable for any trail I went on. Iā€™d say the most challenging trail Iā€™ve done to date is Middle St Vrain and Coney Flats in Colorado. Trails like Argentine or Kingstons Peak are downright easy.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Jay - GREAT write up! We have owned many Jeeps over the years from CJ's to TJ Sports to my current JL Rubicon. I have always been amazed at the capability of each one of them. My wife and I have been doing exactly as you described for the last 30 years only with the Blue Ridge and Smokies. Some of the most fun has been with the open diff CJ7 and a well thought out plan (of course we were stuck for 2 days once - still fun though and learned some valuable skills about the right equipment).

These Jeeps in ANY trim are FAR more capable than 97% of their owners ability. It is sad so many owners will never experience the offroad fun these things can deliver.

Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I just ordered an 80th Anniversary Edition last week. I was considering a Rubicon, but it was $6K more, comparably equipped. As much as I can appreciate the added capability of the Rubi, it's capability that I'd very rarely put to use. I figure the 80th will take me just about anywhere I want to go. I'll make minimal mods.

If I was made of money(I'm not) I would have gone the other way.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I agree with a lot that has been said here. Iā€™ve owned a JLU Sport S and now a Rubicon. If I were planning to replace the axles, I would have definitely stayed with the Sport.

I should say that the Sport is pretty capable off roader in itā€™s base form. But. putting a cheap lift and 35s on it made it more than capable for any trail I went on. Iā€™d say the most challenging trail Iā€™ve done to date is Middle St Vrain and Coney Flats in Colorado. Trails like Argentine or Kingstons Peak are downright easy.
Why did you switch to a Rubicon? You are in a good position to compare them both.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
It's quite simply cost for me. Rubicons are (to me) crazy expensive vs. a Sport S. When you consider I'll probably not even use the full capability of the Sport, buying a Rubicon for 50% more than I paid for my Sport S just for what's effectively a cool hood and bumpers and stuff just doesn't make sense.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Why did you switch to a Rubicon? You are in a good position to compare them both.
Ultimately, got tired of dealing with the steering issues with the sport.

We had been discussing getting a Rubi or a Bronco for some time. We wanted to take on some more challenging trails and also my wife wanted a different color. She inherited my ocean blue but really wanted Sarge Green. When we test drove a 2021 Sarge Green Rubi (with the new steering box) we decided to make the switch. IMO the Dana 40s are enough for our needs so we won't be upgrading them unless there is a failure. We're going to lift it, put on 37s, and new gears. After that, any upgrades are relatively minor.

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
For me, it was all about tire size and gears. I had a Sport S all spec'd out and ready to order. Knew within a year I would be installing 33's and then I wouldnt be happy unless I regeared. Made sense for me to spend another 5 grand and just order the Rubicon and be done with it.
I suspect the Rubicon would also be worth more used than the Sport S so all the money was not tossed down the drain.
Sponsored