OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at a base sport since the less electronics on a fca vehicle the better. I have owned a 2015 one ton diesel for 5 years and do all the maintenance which is really not that bad considering what the truck can do. I drove unloaded and averaged low 20s. The truck is stock everything. I agree that when they break the expense is certainly higher. Don't tell anyone but I plan to immediately delete all the non sense emissions that have plagued this diesel with issues. Guess that will give us an idea if the actual engine is decent or not. The other options would be a consideration but with all the extra batteries and mild hybrid systems there are just too many things to go wrong. The 3.6 would be alright but I imagine that it is soon to be phased out for the the inline 6 turbo tornado engine. Now that would be the best of both. Gas and power and torque.
The issue I see with a delete on the FCA is the EPA has cracked down so much on those creating the "tunes" you will have to go outside the US to find one (if at all). A delete will not be successful without reprogramming the ECM and that is a lot of "stuff" to go through not to mention the cost of things that will be tossed.
Sponsored

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
The issue I see with a delete on the FCA is the EPA has cracked down so much on those creating the "tunes" you will have to go outside the US to find one (if at all). A delete will not be successful without reprogramming the ECM and that is a lot of "stuff" to go through not to mention the cost of things that will be tossed.
I'm sure there are companies in and outside of the US that are working these tunes now. It might take some time to come out but every diesel engine and others have them. If you are deleting certain sensors and adding intake and exhaust and basic items the ecu will have a range of optimal performance that it will adjust to create the ideal air to fuel. Like going to from sea level to several thousand feet. EFI will somewhat adjust. Now if you are talking new injectors and turbo etc then yes a tune is necessary. There are programs now like the tazer that allow people to manipulate certain things in the system and could possibly violate what the epa would consider good. So the slope becomes slippery when anyone changes anything other than factory epa approved components or mopar based items.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure there are companies in and outside of the US that are working these tunes now. It might take some time to come out but every diesel engine and others have them. If you are deleting certain sensors and adding intake and exhaust and basic items the ecu will have a range of optimal performance that it will adjust to create the ideal air to fuel. Like going to from sea level to several thousand feet. EFI will somewhat adjust. Now if you are talking new injectors and turbo etc then yes a tune is necessary. There are programs now like the tazer that allow people to manipulate certain things in the system and could possibly violate what the epa would consider good. So the slope becomes slippery when anyone changes anything other than factory epa approved components or mopar based items.
I have to assume the FCA delete will be like all of the others and that is remove DPF/SCR/DEF systems. When you do that you have to reprogram the ECM or the engine will not run at all--there is no amount of "compensation" within the stock ECM that can overcome the removal of these items. It is indeed a "slippery slope" and not one that I will go down (3 post-2007 diesels were enough for me).

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
I have to assume the FCA delete will be like all of the others and that is remove DPF/SCR/DEF systems. When you do that you have to reprogram the ECM or the engine will not run at all--there is no amount of "compensation" within the stock ECM that can overcome the removal of these items. It is indeed a "slippery slope" and not one that I will go down (3 post-2007 diesels were enough for me).
Yeah I agree I'm sure having that many sensors to deal with on this diesel that it would take some type of tune to have it all work right but who knows until we start getting to play with it.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Agreed. I was raised up from about 6 years old in my father's truck and heavy equipment repair business. Even all the personal vehicles were diesel. I didn't own a gas powered vehicle until my mid 20's.

I wouldn't even look twice at a diesel nowadays. In my opinion, the only benefit left is for someone needing as much fuel range as possible when overlanding.

For those just simply looking at mpg, you'll have to rack up better part of a quarter million miles before the fuel economy would pay back the engines buy in price.

The higher torque figure gets neutered by the taller final drive.

During multiple back to back comparison test drives of the 2.0 and 3.6, the heavier front end feeling of the 3.6 quickly became noticeable. The diesel must feel like there's a small forklift counterweight hanging on the front bumper.

Not looking to ruffle any feathers, I just don't see any appeal outside of range per tank

hmm.. 3.6 is lighter.. " mild-hybrid system makes the whole power system 55 pounds heavier than the Pentastar V6 setup " REF: https://www.allpar.com/mopar/fours/hurricane.html and has a much better powerband..

Sponsored

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
hmm.. 3.6 is lighter.. " mild-hybrid system makes the whole power system 55 pounds heavier than the Pentastar V6 setup " REF: https://www.allpar.com/mopar/fours/hurricane.html and has a much better powerband..
It is heavier, but as to the original poster's comment, that weight isn't necessarily in the front end since the battery pack is towards the rear of the vehicle.

SPR Pumpkin Rubi

First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
skinny-pedal-racing.myshopify.com
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR, 04 TJ 1-Ton LS, 4400 U4
Occupation
Sell Jeep Parts
I read some of the first page, but it may have been mentioned in the following pages, but it's resale value at some point. When you sale a jeep, you can figure you will get 50% of the original cost on parts on a good day but more like 25%. You will get 0% for labor. I'm not going to pay for labor for mods on a used rig or new either.

If you buy a Sport and make it better than a rubicon for say a saving of $2k or whatever. Well when you sale the jeep, those mods will only be worth 25% of what you paid new. Well the Rubicon is still worth more, well because it's a Rubicon. So are you really saving money? Not really. It's just justification at some point.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
What color is your interior.... I have tan leather and it came with nice grey dash.... I was going to paint it Mojito but the grey just blends in...

My Mojito Rubicon has a dark gray dash.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I think they have the black seat with red sticking, thus the red dash...

Ah, yes, ok, was not thinking about those. Those are there too, but (at least for me), it is not overkill.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What color is your interior.... I have tan leather and it came with nice grey dash.... I was going to paint it Mojito but the grey just blends in...
It is black with red stitching.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I think they have the black seat with red sticking, thus the red dash...
For some reason the Mojito models with black seats/red stitching have the dark gray dash. I had a chance to change it out for red a while back but decided against it.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I have had my share of diesel over the last 20 years and very happy with the 3.6L V6 8-Spd Auto 850RE Transmission...

A wrench indeed--literally and along with the need for fairly deep pockets. If you have not owned a modern diesel, I would highly recommend that you spend some time to ensure that a diesel fits your use case. Modern diesels are made for the open road and not stop and go city driving or slow rock climbing. The maintenance is more than a gasoline engine and they are expensive when (not if) they break. I would not even consider a diesel, but certainly each person must evaluate that for themselves.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I can agree with what you said.... I have had 4 Wanglers and two of them I built out to my desire. Now 73 y o and getting a Rubicon with all the extra makes sense.... So enjoy your built out Sport... I did with my TJ...

I can give you a very honest answer. I was looking at the Rubicons and Oh boy did I want one. Then a bit of reality set in after pondering a few weeks(I have owned a few Jeeps). I went down and Bought a Sport, it has some bells and whistles but basically a Jeep. To date, I have built the sport into what I consider to be more functional for me. I saved a boat load of money and have all the bells and whistles from the sound system, GPS, Alarm, Wheels, tires lift, Tazer, side bars, doing a couple suspension mods and I am done and probably saved nearly $18,000.. And I love my Jeep, I built it!

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Now I see why as we both have a Mojito Green... Best color to be seen if lost by the rescue team.
No way. No way man.

Blaze range is specifically used for visibility on pylons, construction signs, high-vis vests & hunting gear, and by logical extension, missing jeeps. Punk’n has that title without a doubt. Then Hella Yella and firecracker.

It ain’t no sarge green when it comes to camouflage but mojito could certainly disappear into the right kinda foliage.
Sponsored