Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
It all depends on what off road work you're going to do. Not to take anything away from non-Rubicon owners, but a stock JLU Sahara is going to have a tough time following a JL Rubicon that is being pushed to its limits. It was a huge difference in offroad performance when I changed from a nicely equipped TJ Sport to a TJ Rubicon, a 4 door non-rubicon while more capable than most every other SUV/truck out there does not have the same off road capability as a JL Rubicon. People like to talk about lockers and sway bar disconnects, and those are awesome, but don't forget about the 4:1 low range as well.

Not true for me, if I'm on the road in my JL it's almost always because I'm on my way to or from a trail. I have cars or a motorcycle for pavement work, I have a JL for trail work. For the JLU rubicon owners you're probably right, but most of us with JL Rubicons probably intend to use the Jeep for what it is engineered to be.
I said there is no question a Rubicon is more capable off-road than a modded Sahara. That wasn't the point. And a dedicated buggy is much more capable than a Rubicon - that is a vehicle that is engineered to be used off-road. A Wrangler is engineered to be used on-road and off-road.

Clearly your use case is completely different than the OP. I never get why the hardcore off-roaders always want to comment on these threads. It's just humble bragging.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
I was just out at Moab and rented a JL Rubicon for a few days and it was amazing on the trails. On several occasions I ran into both stock JL Sahara's and Sport's and neither had any issues navigating all but the very hardest of trails. I also saw a few JL Sports and Sahara's with lift kits and bigger tires which helped with clearance. Make no mistake any Jeep is very capable off road but the Rubicon has a lot of advantages. Being able to detach the sway bar electronically was awesome, and I did use the lockers a handful of times. They are confidence inspiring :)

But I don't live in Utah or really near any major rock trails, so the Rubicon really seemed like overkill for me. I ended up looking at Sahara's and Sport S models and settled on an Unlimited Sport S with exactly what I wanted. The money I saved will go towards upgrades :)

You can't go wrong with any JL in my opinion.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
No rock crawling? No Mudding?

Bull

img_1157-jpg-jpg.jpg

img_0038-jpg.jpg
img_6221-jpg.jpg
PERFECT example that EVERY JL is more capable that most off-road badged vehicles out there today. Awesome wheeling pic's Sean! Still jealous :devil:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Weren't you the one who said we all spend 95% of our time on pavement? I'm just pointing out that is not the case. Not trying to start some model/trim war (although this is jlwranglerforums, not jluwranglerforums :punch:). We all have different reasons for buying Jeeps, of various models and trims. I agree with OP (and I believe with you as well) that the JLU Rubicon is often purchased where a Sahara trim would be a better fit. But some of us with Rubicons do know what we bought and why we bought it.
I think what I can add to this conversation here is that one should not automatically dismiss the inherent capabilities of the non-rubicon models. Sometimes this comes across as a smug attitude (not saying this for you) and it rubs the rest of us the wrong way.

I personally think a Rubi is a great way to go if you wheel on the regular, but I still feel my Sahara is still a great off road machine. The only time I've had difficulty was when I high centered on a big rock last Saturday. But once I got freed from that position all I had to do was take a slightly different line and I was good. There was a stock JKU Rubicon that did a lot of scraping at the same spot, so even Rubi's need mods for the heavy trails.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well that particular pic wasn't at Uwharrie but the other two were. Same state though.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Well that particular pic wasn't at Uwharrie but the other two were. Same state though.
Dang, I was sure that was Uhwarrie. The last time I was down it was dry as a bone. I had red dust in crevices I didn't know I had, and the Jeep got quite dusty too. ;):)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dang, I was sure that was Uhwarrie. The last time I was down it was dry as a bone. I had red dust in crevices I didn't know I had, and the Jeep got quite dusty too. ;):)
lol, well that first pic was up here in Winston.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
I feel like the 80th Anniversary was basically a Sahara. It says the base is a Sport S but it had all the options that are available for the Sahara - might have gone a lil crazy adding all those but the result seems like a two-door Sahara with grey accents instead of all the chrome (a definite plus IMO)

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
All depends on individual wants and needs. I knew what I was going to do with mine both in terms of wheeling and of modifications. My friends knew what they were going to do with theirs. I have a Rubi, they have a Sahara 4xe. Theirs is pimp. Mine is not. They can't understand how I can take a new Jeep off-road and put it through it's paces, I can't understand how they can't. But, we are still very good friends. Too bad that does not translate into other areas.
Stockers...
Jeep Wrangler JL Why or Why Not - Sahara Trim? 1

Last weekend...
Jeep Wrangler JL Why or Why Not - Sahara Trim? 2
Sponsored