Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
We all need to conclude that our tastes (in music, car styling, communication, whatever) is trapped in a magical time of our youth (age 13ish-25ish), whatever decade that happened to be for you. Everything that comes after will never seem as good.

Except of course hip hop, which was always crap.
And hair bands.

Just sayin'...
Sponsored

Turbomark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude
I like a mixture of gloss and flat or satin black. I agree that black wheels still look cool but I went a different route with mine. Machined face KMC wheels.

Jeep Wrangler JL When will Flat Black go away DC2915D4-86B2-488D-BEC3-2FB0B813FA1A

Jeep Wrangler JL When will Flat Black go away 739F1EE0-70E0-4978-A56C-842DE635B819

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
I'd be happy if regular silver wheels made a comeback. Jeep feels compelled to add black/gunmetal/bronze to practically all the JL wheel options.

Yet the all-silver wheels on the Islander look so nice...
Jeep Wrangler JL When will Flat Black go away 739F1EE0-70E0-4978-A56C-842DE635B819
Agree, especially with that white hard top. You donā€™t see many 2 door Islanders - very sharp.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Iā€™m just the opposite. I love flat black wheels and despise chrome wheels. To each their own, but I prefer a subtle look.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Funny that the chrome wheels on 60s-70s muscle cars were chrome plated steel that was made to give the appearance of expensive aluminum and magnesium wheels at the time.

Those chrome and painted wheels or silver painted rally wheels with chrome trim rings and center caps are highly regarded on restored cars now, but in the 70s and 80s they were stacked in the backyard when they were replaced with slotted or turbine ā€œmagsā€.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

Actually, there were ā€œstockā€ chrome festooned Jeeps back in the sixties; the Tuxedo Park Mark I, II, and III were a CJ-5 trim level, and the Tuxedo Park Mark IV was marketed as a model of the CJ-5A. There was also a (rare) long wheelbase Tuxedo Park CJ-6A.

The Tuxedo Park CJs weā€™re an attempt to broaden the Jeepā€™s appeal to a wider audience. Tuxedo Park ā€œstuffā€ included a chrome front bumper, chrome wheel covers, chrome lower windshield hinges, chrome hood badges, chrome hood latches, ā€œ3 on the treeā€ and more.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Chrome don't get you home.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Those chrome and painted wheels or silver painted rally wheels with chrome trim rings and center caps are highly regarded on restored cars now, but in the 70s and 80s they were stacked in the backyard when they were replaced with slotted or turbine ā€œmagsā€.
A family friend had a small collection of OEM GM rally wheels of varying vintages. All were in good to excellent condition, with matching trim rings and caps where applicable. They were correct for Chevelles, Corvettes, and perhaps a few other models.

Even when accessibly priced and recurringly advertised in Hemmings, though, they wouldn't sell. A few rubes made some insulting low-ball offers, which of course got them nowhere.

So...a few years back, having grown tired of the garage space that they occupied, and the aforementioned rubes, he drilled a few well-placed holes in each to ensure the wheels couldn't be economically restored, if at all, and sold them all for scrap metal value. Can't say I blamed him for this M.O.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If he would have put them on eBay, he would have gotten good money in the last 10 years.​

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
If he would have put them on eBay, he would have gotten good money in the last 10 years.​
Possibly. I sold some bicycles for him on eBay (coincidentally, ~10 years ago) and earned a fair kickback for doing so. I figured the wheels would be fair game, but it wasn't to be.

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Amen. Even the new motorcycles these days are festooned with black. Yuk.
There used to be a saying amongst the motorcycle community "Chrome won't get you home, but it will get you laid".

Now, it just gets you laughed at and branded a geezer who favors form over function. But I guess there will always be a faction of the trailer queen crowd who refuse to give up their shiny little JC Whitney bolt-on trinkets.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
In my opinion, flat black is starting to look pretty played out. There's no imagination or fun in it anymore... not everything needs to be super aggressive looking. And flat black is no more or less reliable than chrome.

I'll take my chrome wheels with multiple shades of pink:

DSC02252-e1304519652669.jpg