OP
OP
stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Probably the majority of them as thats a very common rim width. And fwiw they are 8.5" wide if using the actual beadlock rings... which if youre going to air it down regularly... I would
A very common width is 8.5. And no, not many people are going to drop another $850 and get the bead lock rings. They are going to buy new rims instead… :LOL:
Sponsored

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I had 37s in my garage before my XR even showed up. That was my plan all along, so paying the extra $ was fine with me. It is an absolute ROCKET on the factory 35s/4.56s. Slightly over-geared if anything. Lift/wheels/tires go on next week so I’ll see how much of a performance hit there is. I plan on Dynatrac balljoints and maybe RCVs up front/Dana chromoly rear shafts. Hopefully that’ll hold up to 37s for a few years. I do plan on 1 tons/38-40s eventually but not right now.

veddersbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon 392XR
A very common width is 8.5. And no, not many people are going to drop another $850 and get the bead lock rings. They are going to buy new rims instead… :LOL:
5 actual beadlock wheels are going to cost a hell of a lot more than $800. And... considering the rings are readily available for about $525 for all 5.
Might not be your favorite wheel... but they are very decent

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
Majority who buy Rubicons/392/XR buy it for status...badass mall crawler minority take them offroad.

In reality XR is just as much of a waist of money as 392, as none of that is neded for offroading - people just want nice toys these days with all options as it makes them feel better.
So?

It's not your money being spent on them.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
We (wife & I) think the 33s look too small and I'd rather not spend a bunch of time and expense "fixing" it (I can immediately put our accessories on it--winch, et al.) since that's not our hobby/goal. We like the way the XR looks and that it was designed cohesively.

Yes, my experience with DCX/FCA is that they will blame any aftermarket part--related or not--to avoid warranty work, wherein I have to cite chapter and verse of their service manuals, the Magnusson-Moss Act...so that's not an unreasonable "fear".

Mall? heh, We're buying the Jeep to get away from crowds.

re: "nobody needs _____". Nobody needs any of this stuff: it's not about need, so that argument is self-refuting. We want to be able to go fast when we want and we want to be able to go where we want; the 392XR gives us that right out of the box. As my username suggests, this is our first Jeep, so the XR is a no-brainer for us.

Sponsored

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
Majority who buy Rubicons/392/XR buy it for status...badass mall crawler minority take them offroad.

In reality XR is just as much of a waist of money as 392, as none of that is neded for offroading - people just want nice toys these days with all options as it makes them feel better.
While we're in the habit of speaking for others: you sound jealous and egocentric.

What is or is not a "waist" [sic] of money is subjective/relative: what would be a waste for you isn't automatically a waste for others. There are so many variables to that equation, blanket statements generally don't apply. (Yes, that was a blanket statement.)

I drive an orange '03 PT Cruiser and before that a dented-up Chevy W/T (that I off-roaded with that one-wheel-wonder and the included jack was my only recovery gear)--I can give a flying fig about "status".

Besides, what's wrong with having "nice toys"?

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase

Did a 392 run over your dog? Why do you own a JL? The premium of a JL over previous generations is a waste of money because none of its features are needed for off-roading.

OP
OP
stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Did a 392 run over your dog? Why do you own a JL? The premium of a JL over previous generations is a waste of money because none of its features are needed for off-roading.
No doubt. I just wanted peoples thoughts, since my buddy has Jeep envy and I told him don’t order a XR, not worth the $4k.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
No doubt. I just wanted peoples thoughts, since my buddy has Jeep envy and I told him don’t order a XR, not worth the $4k.
1. The xr takeoffs are worth $3-600 more every day of the week, so even if your plan is immediate wheel/tire swap there's added value there
2. Gear swap quotes on a JL are currently running $2500-4k, so the gears alone are worth the cost in my opinion
3. I'm 100% certain the gate re-enforcement and relocation will hold up great to a 37, ours has ~30k miles on it, thousands of off road miles, and rough desert roads at speeds up to 80mph without issue, it's not loose, doesn't rattle, and hasn't sagged
4. As far as 37's fitting on a stock 8" wheel, FYI they fit on stock 7.5" wide wheels just fine too but what do I know?
20210706_093828.jpg

5. If you don't see the value, don't buy it.

veddersbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon 392XR
Just being the devils advocate here.. and giving you the information I used when deciding to buy the XR... aside from all of the things already mentioned.

1. Resale - Sure.. you can add your own stuff for around the same cost. (maybe). But if you buy and sell vehicles every few years YOUR add ons dont factor into KBB or NADA price. A dealer will overlook your mods and the private seller will tell you "mods dont add value" (I know the argument to this). If bought from the factory as a package.. it will factor into resale. Just like the regular Recon and Hard Rock etc

2. Warranty - There are many things you can do to void the warranty. One big and almost SURE thing to void it is differential gear change. Case can be made anything that happens to the powertrain was because of the gear swap. Unless your dealership is very lax... it will void any kind of powertrain warranty. (unless maybe the dealer swapped them for you.... then prepare to pay the $4000 anyway)

So... aside from the wheels... shocks.. vac brake assist.. HD hinge... Tire relocation kit.. 35's.. etc.. those 2 points sold me on the XR

Last edited:

Sponsored

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
People buy what they can afford/want. Who is anyone to judge unless you are paying. Coming from the Mopar world, most owners who have a Hellcat are not taking it to the track, they just want a badass street car. Likewise most Jeep owners regardless of trim, are not consistently or even at all off-roading their Jeeps.

The bottom line is, who cares? Why can’t we just support that we all love Jeeps regardless of how we plan on using them.

cbh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Occupation
Retired Air Force

What you may not understand...if it weren’t for “mall crawlers”, the Jeep Wrangler brand would likely have disappeared decades ago, simply because Jeep could not afford to make Wranglers just for the minority of owners who take them off road.

Every “rock crawler” should be applauding every “mall crawler”; instead of “trashing” them, as you have done in your post.

So, next time you see a “mall crawler”, be a good sport and wave to them, with all of your fingers.

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Scott Blum, a product manager at Jeep that's active in the 392 Facebook group and addresses things like that on occasion disagrees

392shocks.png
I have a 392XR and I love the 35" tires and the 4.56 gear ratio. I even like the fender flare extensions. I am not, however, sold that the Mopar shocks Jeep equipped instead of the Fox 2.0 are anything but a downgrade.

The Mopars handle great on the highway but they are quickly outmatched by the 392's heft and heat on the dirt and rocks. The combination of dampening heat and engine heat will make my front shocks almost too hot to touch on rough trails and I believe the stock shocks turn into a foamy mess and lose their ability to progressively dampen the axle.

My right front Mopar shock lasted less than a month before it started leaking.
70C69084-5573-4170-8A20-02FB1284A147.jpeg
585B7317-C4E9-4363-ACA2-74167527F990.jpeg

Upgraded to Fox 2.5DSCs and absolutely loved the way it handled on the road. Dialing up the low-speed compression basically eliminates body roll and makes cornering the 392 more precise. Off-road the 2.5's stopped the fading problem of the Mopars but even with the high speed compression maxed out the 392 would still bottom out multiple times per day on the trails. Lifting the Jeep has given the 392 5" of up-travel instead of 3" and it is a completely different animal on the trails. Slow rocky trails and smoother 4Hi trails are both a joy with the added travel. The suspension personality and capability finally match that of the engine.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Gato, side topic. But sort of related to the XR, did your JLR not come with a skid under the FAD module? I ask because mine has a skid under it from factory.
Mine did, but I replaced it with a much beefier Rock Hard one.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I think if you’re rollin with 37s, the tailgate ain’t gonna hold up even with the reinforcement.
Been rolling with (light). 37s for 8,000 miles and some hard wheeling. Tailgate is solid like a rock with the Mopar relocation/reinforcement. This is not an early JK with tailgate issues.
Sponsored