BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Been rolling with (light). 37s for 8,000 miles and some hard wheeling. Tailgate is solid like a rock with the Mopar relocation/reinforcement. This is not an early JK with tailgate issues.
Love to hear that! After the 35’s wear out I may go for the 37 KO2s. Hoping it wold be a fairly seamless change with the XR after adding 1” of bump stop.
Sponsored

Kansas JL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon ( sold). 2022 392 XR Tuscadero
I have a 392XR and I love the 35" tires and the 4.56 gear ratio. I even like the fender flare extensions. I am not, however, sold that the Mopar shocks Jeep equipped instead of the Fox 2.0 are anything but a downgrade.

The Mopars handle great on the highway but they are quickly outmatched by the 392's heft and heat on the dirt and rocks. The combination of dampening heat and engine heat will make my front shocks almost too hot to touch on rough trails and I believe the stock shocks turn into a foamy mess and lose their ability to progressively dampen the axle.

My right front Mopar shock lasted less than a month before it started leaking.
70C69084-5573-4170-8A20-02FB1284A147.jpeg
585B7317-C4E9-4363-ACA2-74167527F990.jpeg

Upgraded to Fox 2.5DSCs and absolutely loved the way it handled on the road. Dialing up the low-speed compression basically eliminates body roll and makes cornering the 392 more precise. Off-road the 2.5's stopped the fading problem of the Mopars but even with the high speed compression maxed out the 392 would still bottom out multiple times per day on the trails. Lifting the Jeep has given the 392 5" of up-travel instead of 3" and it is a completely different animal on the trails. Slow rocky trails and smoother 4Hi trails are both a joy with the added travel. The suspension personality and capability finally match that of the engine.
thank you for posting your real world experience with your shocks. I have wondered how the factory XR shocks and suspension will hold up to off roading. What did you choose lift your Jeep? Why did you choose that option?

again Appreciate your feedback.

our 2022 393XR has been built, and will probably show up in the next few weeks. My old 2018 JLUR had the mopar lift and we had zero issues with it and with zero suspension bottom out. So these reports of the XR suspension are starting to concern me some.

Last edited:

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
thank you for posting your real world experience with your shocks. I have wondered how the factory XR shocks and suspension will hold up to off roading. What did you choose lift your Jeep? Why did you choose that option?

again Appreciate your feedback.

our 2022 393XR has been built, and will probably show up in the next few weeks. My old 2018 JLUR had the mopar lift and we had zero issues with it and with zero suspension bottom out. So these reports of the XR suspension are starting to concern me some.
I chose to go with the Clayton Off Road 2.5” Overland+ lift for the 392. I have winch on the front which adds over 100lbs to the bumper and caused the stock springs to sag a bit compared to stock. With the Clayton 2.5” lift I’ve settled in at 1.75” of lift over stock after a week of driving and one heavy day off-road at a rough OHV park where the springs got a workout. The extra travel is very noticeable and welcome off road.

My brother has a 3.6 XR and does not experience the bottoming issues I experienced in the 392 XR. I have read of a few diesel owners also bottoming more often than they’d like so I think it’s a combination of the extended jounce towers that limit up travel to 3” and the weight of the v8/Diesel engine.

I’d suggest wheeling yours a few times before making any changes to see if you experience the same issues or not. If you do decide to upgrade I think lifting without increasing tire size gives a bigger dollar for dollar improvement to the 392 than high end shocks. However, the extra oil volume and dampening of the 2.5” shocks is also a noticeable improvement with all that engine weight bouncing around.

Pre lift:
951029FD-7185-4AEB-85BF-6D7DDACB600F.jpeg

Post lift:
7BE5DC72-21B3-4654-9036-231CCCFB3682.jpeg

Kansas JL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon ( sold). 2022 392 XR Tuscadero
Thank you very much! That is good advice on just try out the factory suspension first. To see how it does. I also am putting a warm 12 winch on the front ( in the factory steel bumper for now).
Thanks again for the information.

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Been rolling with (light). 37s for 8,000 miles and some hard wheeling. Tailgate is solid like a rock with the Mopar relocation/reinforcement. This is not an early JK with tailgate issues.
Speaking of, I've been torn between ko2 37s(due to weight) or stt pros.

Some were saying the ko2s measure small for a 37? And some say it measures within an 1/8 or 1/4 of others. PM me some pictures of yours If you don't mind, don't want to take this off topic.

Sponsored

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Majority who buy Rubicons/392/XR buy it for status...badass mall crawler minority take them offroad.

In reality XR is just as much of a waist of money as 392, as none of that is neded for offroading - people just want nice toys these days with all options as it makes them feel better.
Just took delivery of my 392…and you’re spot on! It makes me feel great!

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats and enjoy! They are such fun vehicles. After you get a few hundred miles on the engine find a safe place to do some full-throttle pulls starting around 70mph. Intoxicating sound and acceleration.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
So?

It's not your money being spent on them.
So?

It's not your money being spent on them.
I agree, spend your money on what you want and maybe consider the possibility of upgrades in the future, at least your Jeep will be ready for it

Majority of people who own a M series BMW or a Porsche or a AMG or any high end sports car are limited to the posted speed limit right? So what is the sense of spending $300K Plus, on a car that can hit 200 mph when there is very few places where you can legally enjoy stomping and keeping the skinny pedal to the floor.
Why knock people for what they buy? As long as they are happy with their purchase what should it matter to you? So if you don`t like it don`t buy it, or is this one of those posts where the only good color on a Jeep is white and all other colors suck???
People buy what they can afford/want. Who is anyone to judge unless you are paying. Coming from the Mopar world, most owners who have a Hellcat are not taking it to the track, they just want a badass street car. Likewise most Jeep owners regardless of trim, are not consistently or even at all off-roading their Jeeps.

The bottom line is, who cares? Why can’t we just support that we all love Jeeps regardless of how we plan on using them.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Feeling great is one way to put it, plus it`s what YOU wanted not something that was pushed on you. Why are people always unhappy about what other people chose to buy? I hear people constantly criticizing other peoples purchases. Like do you really need 5 or 4 outboards on your boat? To some that don`t know much about boats it may look extreme but to the owner it`s better on fuel and less maintenance and less weight of inboards and usually faster and has more cabin space.
And now all of a sudden you cant run 37`s on the XR Rim? Just look at all of the JK`S AND JL`S that are running 35" tires on stock wheels. Do you realize that a 33x12.50x17 and a 37x12.50x17 are the same width? With BFG releasing a C rated 37" tire that weighs in a 63 pounds and the 315/70/17 that was available weighed in at 65 pounds. All of that has changed now with BFG having tires called out for Jeep and Ford

Majority of people who own a M series BMW or a Porsche or a AMG or any high end sports car are limited to the posted speed limit right? So what is the sense of spending $300K Plus, on a car that can hit 200 mph when there is very few places where you can legally enjoy stomping and keeping the skinny pedal to the floor.
Why knock people for what they buy? As long as they are happy with their purchase what should it matter to you?

Last edited:

Sponsored

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Congrats and enjoy! They are such fun vehicles. After you get a few hundred miles on the engine find a safe place to do some full-throttle pulls starting around 70mph. Intoxicating sound and acceleration.
Oh I can tell. I’m only at 70 miles and even the light throttle acceleration takes my breathe away 😂😂

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Feeling great is one way to put it, plus it`s what YOU wanted not something that was pushed on you. Why are people always unhappy about what other people chose to buy? I hear people constantly criticizing other peoples purchases. Like do you really need 5 or 4 outboards on your boat? To some that don`t know much about boats it may look extreme but to the owner it`s better on fuel and less maintenance and less weight of inboards and usually faster and has more cabin space.
And now all of a sudden you cant run 37`s on the XR Rim? Just look at all of the JK`S AND JL`S that are running 35" tires on stock wheels. Do you realize that a 33x12.50x17 and a 37x12.50x17 are the same width? With BFG releasing a C rated 37" tire that weighs in a 63 pounds and the 315/70/17 that was available weighed in at 65 pounds. All of that has changed now with BFG having tires called out for Jeep and Ford

Why knock people for what they buy? As long as they are happy with their purchase what should it matter to you?
Couldn’t agree with you more. That’s why I responded what I did. Part saercasm but mainly the truth! Everybody spends their hard earned dollars as they wish.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Majority who buy Rubicons/392/XR buy it for status...badass mall crawler minority take them offroad.

In reality XR is just as much of a waist of money as 392, as none of that is neded for offroading - people just want nice toys these days with all options as it makes them feel better.
That’s weird, because using your own logic, why did you buy that nice JL in your profile pic when there are much older, far less expensive Jeeps that can do the same thing? Oh no, looks like you “wasted your money”. 😲

The next question is WHY? Why did you waste your money buying a nice, new, shiny white JL Wrangler instead of an old, rusty, beat up Jeep that is just as capable..

Was it maybe, “Status”?

And as others have mentioned, I’ve never understood why people like yourself feel the need to make disparaging comments about what other people buy with their own money.

I guess it just “makes you feel better” huh? 🙄

Funny how that works.

-Rob

Last edited:

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Speaking of, I've been torn between ko2 37s(due to weight) or stt pros.

Some were saying the ko2s measure small for a 37? And some say it measures within an 1/8 or 1/4 of others. PM me some pictures of yours If you don't mind, don't want to take this off topic.
If you search my posts, you will see my measurements. At 30PSI, under the the weight of my JLUR, the 37" KO2s measure slightly less than 35" at the shoulder and slightly more at the center crown.

It is visually smaller (narrower and shorter) than any other 37" tire. But is by far the lightest, specially the new Raptor spec C-load range 37x12.5R17. It is lighter than most other 35s.

And the weight of the tire makes a huge difference. The KO2s are awesome on the road, snow, ice, etc. But they are subpar on mud and rocks compared to something like STT Pros.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Over here too….

Please link me to a 37 that specs a 8” rim. They are all 8.5“ as the min.
Nothing is absolute, looks like milestar patagonia 37×12.50r17's are in fact specd for a 7.5" wheel according to America's tire? Not that we didn't know for a fact 37x12.50s fit stock wheels, but here's one that is within spec for the nervous types out there.
Screenshot_20220117-101758_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored