Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Seems that my comment tickled many people in the wrong spot.

I simply commented to OP that XR package cannot be justified purely based on is it worth ofroad upgrade for the price. Just like you cannot justify buying V8 Wrangler or anything more then just a base Wrangler purely based on ofroad capabilities. You would just buy base model and mod it to have more ofroad capable vehicle.

As to who buys top options and what they do with them -it just facts.

People on this forum are the minority.
I would argue that if I was just getting into Jeeping, an XR would certainly make sense. Having to deal with the headache of finding wheels and tires that fit, spare tire carrier, and then debating if I wanted to regear or not. OR I could order all of that from the factory and it is there day 1.

I ordered a 392 and went with the XR package for a few reasons.

-I plan to run 37's and the higher gear ratio is preferred. IDK what true cost is but I would imagine a regear to be somewhere around 2k+( and I believe that is conservative).
-It will add to the book value for resell and also be more sought after simply because it is an "XR"
-Easily resell the 35" takeoffs for at least $1500
Sponsored

OP
OP
stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
@BlackGenesis I actually looked into putting a hemi in my JKUR. It was less money to buy a new 392 And trade in my AEV 2014 JKUR.

The point of this thread was to find out if people thought the XR package added to the 392 was worth it. I think that stellantis is subsidizing the cost of all the XR packages to non 392s with what is added to the 392. If you have any other JLUR the XR package is a no brainer, because you can’t buy that for $4k and have it installed. On a 392, the package is not worth $4k in todays dollars. No idea if later the 392 XR will be worth more, seems like a 2022 392 non XR will be like a unicorn since everyone is ordering only XRs.

Too bad they don’t have a 4.56 option for the 392, since all the 37s+ people would be better off with just that…. if you are staying with 35s, 3.73 in the 392 is all you will ever need.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I would argue that if I was just getting into Jeeping, an XR would certainly make sense. Having to deal with the headache of finding wheels and tires that fit, spare tire carrier, and then debating if I wanted to regear or not. OR I could order all of that from the factory and it is there day 1.

I ordered a 392 and went with the XR package for a few reasons.

-I plan to run 37's and the higher gear ratio is preferred. IDK what true cost is but I would imagine a regear to be somewhere around 2k+( and I believe that is conservative).
-It will add to the book value for resell and also be more sought after simply because it is an "XR"
-Easily resell the 35" takeoffs for at least $1500
And miss all the fun at having to throw parts at it?

When I stop modifications is usually the time I am looking to buy new project. Dont nesesarly sell previous unless vehicle is being bought for the same use/purpose.

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
And miss all the fun at having to throw parts at it?

When I stop modifications is usually the time I am looking to buy new project. Dont nesesarly sell previous unless vehicle is being bought for the same use/purpose.
You and I are on the same page, I enjoy tinkering and doing the research for the best fit of products, etc. BUT I also sell these things and 80% of the time the customer doesn't have the slightest clue other than they "want it lifted/bigger tires".

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
My point is the valuable upgrades of the XR package are for non 392 models. But I understand that if you are spending $80k what is another $4k. And with that model(392)most are just checking every box when they order. But I wondered if anyone thought it was a little bit of a ripoff since the high dollar upgrades that that package is adding for the same price to a non-392…. You already paid for, Hd axles etc. higher quality suspension…. But I get that most people don’t care.
I see what you are saying, but 392 Rubicon has 33`s and a standard Rubicon has 33`s, so who picks up the extra cost of changing to 35"`s ? The $675.00 tailgate reinforcement does nothing to add support to the hinges and the tailgate still flexes with it on there, but the gearing alone is worth it. I know it can be done cheaper but this is a factory warranty covered option. I have a 392 Rubicon now and I am waiting to get my new Xtreme Recon to come in. I had changed the tires to BFG 315/70/17 before I even picked it up and that was $1675.00 for the tires alone, plus $100 for the re calibration for the increased tire height. So this leaves $1550.00 for a front and rear gearing change, which in NJ it`s going to be hard to find someone to do the front and rear axle plus gears and master install kit for $1550.00. You can sell your stock 33'`s to the Jeep and Ford Raptor guys but they really don`t bring in much money
The only other issue is that not all people have all of the tools and space necessary to do a gearing swap. The HD Axles are available on the Mojave
Jeep has been contemplating the Mojave package since the early days of the Gladiator's design. In terms of the 3rd Generation Dana 44 axles found under the Gladiator off-road packages, it's not a case of Rubicon influencing Mojave as much as Mojave influencing Rubicon. To better cope with the rigors of pounding through unforgiving terrain at speed, the Mojave front axle required an increase in axletube wall thickness to 10mm, which is thicker than the Rubicon technically required. So Rubicon can thank Mojave for its 10mm axletube wall thickness. Rubicon features lighter weight-saving aluminum knuckles, but Mojave needed high-strength cast iron knuckles to better survive impacts at high speed and other rigors of desert prerunning. Also, where the Rubicon has a Tru-Lok locking diff up front, the Mojave runs an open differential. The rear axles are the same for Rubicon or Mojave, both sporting 4.10 gearing and electric Tru-Lok locking differential, but Gladiator Rubicon can be ordered with optional 3.73 axle gears, while Mojave comes only with 4.10s. So, to recap, the Rubicon package's front axle is the wide-track 3rd Generation Dana 44 front with 10mm axletubes, aluminum steering knuckles, 4.10 gears (3.73 optional), and Tru-Lok electric locking differential. The Mojave package's front axle is the wide-track 3rd Generation Dana 44 front with 10mm axletubes, cast iron steering knuckles, 4.10 gears, and an open differential. And both Rubicon and Mojave packages' rear axles are the same 3rd Generation Dana 44 rear with 4.10 gears (3.73 optional for Rubicon) and Tru-Lok electric locking differential

Last edited:

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nobody said it? Raised speed limiter. 110mph instead of 97.

yes I do wish I had that extra 13 mph to overtake the Prius in front of me.
BTW. Selling takeoff parts is like a rite of passage for when a Jeep buyer becomes a Jeep owner… :like:
Definitely true on selling the take off parts, but I`m still tripping over JK,XJ and CJ parts lol, cause you never know.....

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
  • Not everyone checks the box themselves, I bought my 392XR from the dealer inventory, not special order. There wasn't a non-XR 392 available for purchase in my area. But to be honest I wanted the XR package anyway.
  • I don't want to take an $80k vehicle to a gear shop right off the showroom floor.
  • I don't want 35" tires and aftermarket gearing to be an excuse of the dealer if something is defective.
    • My wife's 2017 Mopar vehicle has been to the dealership more in past 3 years than all other cars combined that we have owned the past 20yrs.
  • If I decide to go to 37's I can do so comfortably without the expense of a re-gear.
  • I hate the hassle of selling take-offs. I have stock rubicon rails and a full stock 392XR suspension in my garage because I haven't gotten around to selling it yet. The only thing worse than Craigslist tire-kickers is Ebay win no payers.
  • Don't forget to add the price of a Tazer or dealer recalibration to your 35" tire upgrade since your speedometer won't be correct.
  • 110mph calibration. XR's are faster accelerating and faster top speed. I did 110 once to ensure it would get there and have hit 100+ a couple of other times passing on two-lane roads.
  • I don't care if anyone thinks I spent $563.43 more for the grouping of XR options than I could have pieced it together manually. We all know how much money we blow on these stupid things after they make it to our driveway anyway.
  • If you are upset about the XR package premium you should go option out a Porsche. It'll make you feel better about the Jeep. :)

OP
OP
stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Definitely true on selling the take off parts, but I`m still tripping over JK,XJ and CJ parts lol, cause you never know.....
now that my jk is gone I am selling those take-offs. You need a JKUR hood? :LOL:

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Youre adding quite a bit for $4k actually.
35's
17x8" rim (which is fine for a 37x12.5)
Tailgate reinforcement
Brake vac booster (which isnt listed)
4.56 gears
Revalved shocks.. although NOT Fox they are monotube and tuned for the heavier weight of the 35's.
Among other trivial things... all factory warrantied

I do agree however because the standard 392 already comes with a lot of the standard Rubicon XR features (beadlock capable wheels... axles) already... it should be a cheaper option than other trims. Much like the SOT top is a cheaper option since body colored hardtop is standard on the 392
Are you referring to the vacuum pump for the brake booster? Do you mean it’s a better one? Because every JL already has a vacuum pump for the brake booster..?

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
now that my jk is gone I am selling those take-offs. You need a JKUR hood? :LOL:
I wish I had a project JK that needed a hood, last time I had seen a hood off of a JK there were 2 little kids on it going down a snow covered hill :giggle:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I Live in an area that everything is 2x the cost as most and I did 35s for $750…. gears are less than 2k, but for 35s I want 3.73s.
If you want to put garbage tires on an $80k rig, have at it. The ko2's are $400 each and only a cheap ass runs an undersized spare. There's $2k plus tax, mount, and balance but $750 seems reasonable... Good luck finding a shop that will do gears for under $2k, parts alone are $1,200 last I checked. From people on these forums getting quotes recently I haven't seen 1 under $2500 and I've seen as high as $4500. Sure you can do gears yourself and buy 4 knock off tires for ~$2k, but that's far from comparable to what you get in the XR package. And again, the xr package is set up perfectly for 37's. You might be the only person I've ever seen intentionally opt for 3.73's for 35's, but to each his own. Nobody's forcing you to buy the package.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If you want to put garbage tires on an $80k rig, have at it. The ko2's are $400 each and only a cheap ass runs an undersized spare. There's $2k plus tax, mount, and balance but $750 seems reasonable... Good luck finding a shop that will do gears for under $2k, parts alone are $1,200 last I checked. From people on these forums getting quotes recently I haven't seen 1 under $2500 and I've seen as high as $4500. Sure you can do gears yourself and buy 4 knock off tires for ~$2k, but that's far from comparable to what you get in the XR package. And again, the xr package is set up perfectly for 37's. You might be the only person I've ever seen intentionally opt for 3.73's for 35's, but to each his own. Nobody's forcing you to buy the package.
Did you read his other posts? Lol he didn’t pay $750 for five cheap tires. He put $750 on top of the money he made by selling his take-offs to buy his new set of tires.

OP
OP
stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I already own a 392. so not worried about being forced to buy anything…

3.73 and 35s with the 392 is plenty. I had 4.10s and 34s on the JKUR and it sucked. But before the XR I bet there is a small minority lowering clearing on the 392 when they installed 35s….

Full price for 35s is about $1700. stock tire take offs about $1000 back. That is where I get the upgrade to $750 figure.

I just put this thread up to find out if people think that the XR package on the 392 was worth it . Seems like to you the answer is absolutely yes.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
OP you ordered/got your 392 before the XR package was available. I too got my JLUR before the XR package was available.

I think you would click the XR option if you were ordering today. And so would I.

It is a bit weird to try to talk down the XR package just because you didn't get it.

For the vast majority of people ordering an $50K+ JLUR or a $80K+ 392 with off-road intentions, clicking the XR is a no-brainer.

You seem to be discounting the value of getting all those goodies set up from the factory, DAY1, with WARRANTY.

I did sell my factory rims/tires for $1,500 to get 37s (KO2s) + RIMs. But it was a hassle.

Similarly, finding a shop to do your gears, hoping they will do it right, risking warranty issues with dealers, etc, taking time, etc, is not that apealing.

Factory convenience is worth quite a bit for many people.
Sponsored