First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
If you search my posts, you will see my measurements. At 30PSI, under the the weight of my JLUR, the 37" KO2s measure slightly less than 35" at the shoulder and slightly more at the center crown.

It is visually smaller (narrower and shorter) than any other 37" tire. But is by far the lightest, specially the new Raptor spec C-load range 37x12.5R17. It is lighter than most other 35s.

And the weight of the tire makes a huge difference. The KO2s are awesome on the road, snow, ice, etc. But they are subpar on mud and rocks compared to something like STT Pros.
Just for the hell of it I went into the garage and measured my 315/70/17 BFG AT KO2`S
The tires that are on the Jeep are at 35 psi and using a level on the top of the tire to the floor it measures a little over 33.5"
The spare is inflated to 37 psi and I measured the circumference 110" divided by 3.14 it comes out to a 35" tire
I wonder what the actual measurements are on the New BFG KO2 37X12.50X17 C rated Mounted on the vehicle and what the spare measures out to??
Sponsored

OP
OP
stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
OP you ordered/got your 392 before the XR package was available. I too got my JLUR before the XR package was available.

I think you would click the XR option if you were ordering today. And so would I.

It is a bit weird to try to talk down the XR package just because you didn't get it.

For the vast majority of people ordering an $50K+ JLUR or a $80K+ 392 with off-road intentions, clicking the XR is a no-brainer.

You seem to be discounting the value of getting all those goodies set up from the factory, DAY1, with WARRANTY.

I did sell my factory rims/tires for $1,500 to get 37s (KO2s) + RIMs. But it was a hassle.

Similarly, finding a shop to do your gears, hoping they will do it right, risking warranty issues with dealers, etc, taking time, etc, is not that apealing.

Factory convenience is worth quite a bit for many people.
I am not talking down the XR package. It is a no brainer for non 392 owners. My advice To my buddy about to order is it is not worth $4k. I wondered what other people thought. Even after all these posts, I still don’t think it is worth it. But I completely see now to most others it is worth it. I am not going bigger than 35s. I hate KO2s since I had some completely self destruct in About 100 miles. 35s don’t need 4.56 on a 392. Don’t want mopar steel painted shocks. I Don’t need a relo bracket. I Don’t need faster than 99 mph. So not worth it to me. Opinion not fact or talking down…

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I am not talking down the XR package. It is a no brainer for non 392 owners. My advice To my buddy about to order is it not worth $4k. I wondered what other people thought. Even after all these posts, I still don’t think it is worth it. But I completely see now to most others it is worth it. I am not going bigger than 35s. I hate KO2s since I had some completely self destruct in About 100 miles. 35s don’t need 4.56 on a 392. Don’t want mopar steel painted shocks. I Don’t need a relo bracket. I Don’t need faster than 99 mph. So not worth it to me. Opinion not fact or talking down…
I agree with most of that. KO2’s are average AT’s at best, mediocre off road, decent on. 3.73’s are definitely good enough for 35’s, thanks to the massive gear spread of the 8 speed, but I still think 4.56’s are better. Not better enough to spend the $2500+ and void the warranty when the axle sensor shits the bed, but personally I’d check the box for that same reason. When we bought our 2019, the 392, XR, and even the ecodiesel weren’t available. Even the 4.10’s with this transmission are good enough on 37’s, but the factory 4.56 would be a no-brainer for me but on a 392 I’d likely be planning 39” km3’s anyway. I don’t need to drive faster than 99, but with 470hp, I feel like I should be able to in a pinch. The xr holds more value in a non 392 obviously, but I would still check the box for my use. I just think it’s great that all these options exist at this point.

OP
OP
stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
So at least can we all agree that when some noob 392XR owner starts a thread ”How can I increase the gas mileage of my 392XR”. The response is “trade it for a non XR with 3.73“. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
So at least can we all agree that when some noob 392XR owner starts a thread ”How can I increase the gas mileage of my 392XR”. The response is “trade it for a non XR with 3.73“. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
If fuel economy is your concern, get an ecodiesel. A gear swap to go from 12.5mpg to 13 will pay for itself in about 300k miles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
If fuel economy is your concern, get an ecodiesel. A gear swap to go from 12.5mpg to 13 will pay for itself in about 300k miles.
Geez, you can’t go along with anything:angel:I didn’t say anything about me….

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
You are spot on, when comparing it to what a non-392 gets with the XR package the 392 owners are comparatively getting a worse deal. No question on that given the std equipment on the 392.

as to if it’s still worth it, that’s up to the individual. I still checked the box 😉

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
Just for the hell of it I went into the garage and measured my 315/70/17 BFG AT KO2`S
The tires that are on the Jeep are at 35 psi and using a level on the top of the tire to the floor it measures a little over 33.5"
The spare is inflated to 37 psi and I measured the circumference 110" divided by 3.14 it comes out to a 35" tire
I wonder what the actual measurements are on the New BFG KO2 37X12.50X17 C rated Mounted on the vehicle and what the spare measures out to??
Another member installed the 37" KO2's and they measured 35'5" to the top of the tire installed. So, a true 2" gain and easily doable with a stock 392.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Another member installed the 37" KO2's and they measured 35'5" to the top of the tire installed. So, a true 2" gain and easily doable with a stock 392.
Thanks for the valuable info, not just for me but I`m sure others will appreciate it when it comes time to decide on tires

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
@BlackGenesis I actually looked into putting a hemi in my JKUR. It was less money to buy a new 392 And trade in my AEV 2014 JKUR.

The point of this thread was to find out if people thought the XR package added to the 392 was worth it. I think that stellantis is subsidizing the cost of all the XR packages to non 392s with what is added to the 392. If you have any other JLUR the XR package is a no brainer, because you can’t buy that for $4k and have it installed. On a 392, the package is not worth $4k in todays dollars. No idea if later the 392 XR will be worth more, seems like a 2022 392 non XR will be like a unicorn since everyone is ordering only XRs.

Too bad they don’t have a 4.56 option for the 392, since all the 37s+ people would be better off with just that…. if you are staying with 35s, 3.73 in the 392 is all you will ever need.
You and I are on the same page, I enjoy tinkering and doing the research for the best fit of products, etc. BUT I also sell these things and 80% of the time the customer doesn't have the slightest clue other than they "want it lifted/bigger tires".
I am a bit obsessed about researching and then wrenching. Usually vehicles I buy are smashed, so I spend lots of time rebuilding prior to even driving.

Screenshot_20190408-221415_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190408-220815_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190408-220906_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190408-221332_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
You are spot on, when comparing it to what a non-392 gets with the XR package the 392 owners are comparatively getting a worse deal. No question on that given the std equipment on the 392.
Remember what you are paying for. You are paying for Jeep to give you a 5 year/60K mile warranty that 4.56 gears won't grenade a D44 behind 470 lbft of torque.

On the 3.6, Jeep only needs to plan for a tiny fraction of the grenaded axles behind 260 ftlbs of torque.

cbh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Occupation
Retired Air Force
And miss all the fun at having to throw parts at it?

When I stop modifications is usually the time I am looking to buy new project. Dont nesesarly sell previous unless vehicle is being bought for the same use/purpose.
I thought I was the only one who got bored after running out of projects for a vehicle. I modified a half dozen adventure bikes (BMWs & KTMs) over the years, spending more time modifying them than riding. That’s one reason I am taking my time modifying my 392.

So far, I’m very happy with the stock (non-XR) performance/handling, although I admit, had it been an option when I ordered back in April, I probably would have added the XR package....although I really like the stock wheels that came with mine.

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
Of course you’re entitled to your opinion but why dog anyone for what they spend their money on? I for one can’t wait for my 392XR to be delivered. Is it a toy? Sure. Is it frivolous? Probably. I’m not buying it to “make me feel better” though. I’m buying it because I’m pushing 50, I work my ass off and I think it’ll be cool.
I think it is cool... points to you my friend.

JPJr70

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys 2dr
My wife immediately complained about the extra height of the 392 vs our regular Rubicon.
Don't need to go making it any taller than it already is! ;)
That's why I chose non-XR.
Sponsored