Sponsored

What do you think about the reduced electric range?

360linux

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
I’m still in. This will still be a beast (IMO) and MUCH better than the mpg on my last two Wranglers. With a 20mi commute and chargers at the office I’ll still be quite happy with the range and still be great for when I’m off road.
Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Jeep.com states it's a 16 kWh battery (see below). Here's some wishful thinking... maybe the people who ordered their 4xe early have the 17.3 kWh battery, then Jeep had to change their specs due to battery availability.

A 4X4 FIRST AND FOREMOST

The Wrangler 4xe system is paired with a 2.0L I4 DOHC direct-injection Turbo PHEV engine to bring out the best in already proven Jeep® Brand 4x4 capability. A 16-kWh lithium-ion battery pack, regenerative brake booster and eight-speed automatic transmission work together to send impressive amounts of power and torque to each wheel, maximizing the capability of every component. The sealed and waterproof battery pack and electronics even perform in tough conditions like fording creeks( Disclosure8) and streams up to 30 inches in depth. Preproduction model shown.
Yeah I have seen that but when I cut and paste to figure out where it was written I always see the old stats of 400 miles range and 25 all electric. It does not look like updated information. I have my doubts as to if they actually changed the battery or not.

digimark

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 MT JK 2-dr X, Nacho JLUR 4xe.
Unless they had supply issues its hard to imagine they changed the battery pack. Seems more likely they just derated the existing one to meet EPA and/or reserve and software requirements.

4xeJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Looking on the Jeep website I noticed that the claimed electric range has gone down from 25 to just 21 miles. Thoughts? Anyone considering cancelling their order or switching to another powertrain?
Two Thoughts
The wrangler 4xE has been added to the Federal Website with a $7500.00 credit
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

NOT a game changer for me however, I will cry and moan. Maybe the dealership will throw-in some free mats?

4xeJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I simply feel it is the EPA and their testing criteria being what it is. Lets be honest here, mpg has a lot of variables for each driver. This vehicle is going to have those same many variables but some can even have more impact than with ICE. The actual numbers for each person are going to vary greatly.
4xE is now on the Federal website for $7500.00 tax credit.

Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
4xE is now on the Federal website for $7500.00 tax credit.
Yes, they’ve been listed for the full $7,500 tax credit for a while now. Keep in mind, the tax credit is based on battery size. So, neither EPA results, nor a reduced overall or all-electric range will have any impact on the tax credit amount - provided the battery size doesn’t dip below 16kWh. Once it dips below 16kWh, the credit begins to reduce.

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smart Electric Drive, Wrangler 4XE coming soon.
I was disappointed seeing the battery change from 17.3 to 16 kWh, but I am having to remind myself that I would have still ordered the Jeep if it was originally advertised with a 16 kWh battery. I am just glad that we are still eligible for the full $7500 tax credit.
We confirmed with the manager of the Wrangler 4XE program that the battery size didn't change. It's still 17.3kWh. That 16kWh thing on the website is a typo.

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone actually confirmed the battery is now 16 kw? Most of what I can find, if it mentions it at all, is still 17.3 kw. I am somewhat disappointed but not in a huge way. Who knows what we will actually get.
I exchanged messages with the manager of the Wrangler 4XE program. He confirmed that the battery is 17.3. There's a typo on a page on the website that is supposed to get fixed.

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just wondering if the reduced range and battery size may be the difference between computer controlled range and maximum range if there wasn't some backup capacity for the battery programmed in. My understanding is the computer/software always keep some battery capacity in reserve possibly to keep the added oomph of the electric propulsion available. Could the reduction in range and battery capacity just be subtracting the reserve amount from what is available for regular all electric propulsion.
Yes, the system will work to keep about 15% in the battery at all times. Part of that will come from regen and part with come from the eTorque motor/generator.

Sponsored

JLUR4xe

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ SE, 2021 JLUR 4xe (ordered 2/2)
Yes, the system will work to keep about 15% in the battery at all times. Part of that will come from regen and part with come from the eTorque motor/generator.
With a 15% reserve on a 17.3 kWh battery the math of the 21 mile electric range actually works out with the 49 MPGe ratting.

17.3 x .85 = 14.705 kWh of battery for electric driving.
49 ÷ 33.7 = 1.454 mi/kWh
14.705 x 1.454 = 21.38 mi

I always questioned the 1% reserve statement that I have seen and I believe is still on the Jeep page. That always seemed like too small of a reserve to guarantee that you would always have the electric assist available after depleting the all electric range. I am just speculating now but this adjustment in reserve could have easily been the hold up.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
With a 15% reserve on a 17.3 kWh battery the math of the 21 mile electric range actually works out with the 49 MPGe ratting.

17.3 x .85 = 14.705 kWh of battery for electric driving.
49 ÷ 33.7 = 1.454 mi/kWh
14.705 x 1.454 = 21.38 mi
Thanks @JLUR4xe for this calculation. Where did the 33.7 figure come from? Thanks.

botond.kopacz

First Name
Botond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order
Looking on the Jeep website I noticed that the claimed electric range has gone down from 25 to just 21 miles. Thoughts? Anyone considering cancelling their order or switching to another powertrain?
My current EV range is jumping between 90 mile to 140 mile depending how I drive it, fun mode or 60mph on highway mode... So that 4 mile decrease is really nothing IMO.

JLUR4xe

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ SE, 2021 JLUR 4xe (ordered 2/2)
Thanks @JLUR4xe for this calculation. Where did the 33.7 figure come from? Thanks.
Good question @Jeeperz Kreeperz. MPGe or miles per gallon gasoline equivalent is the measure of the distance one can travel on the energy of one gallon of gasoline. The EPA standard uses 33.7 kWh for the amount of potential energy of one gallon of gasoline. So basically the 49 MPGe ratting is saying if we had a 33.7 kWh battery we could go 49 miles. The Wikipedia MPGe article is a good starting point with a lot of references if you enjoy getting all techy on this type of stuff.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Looking on the Jeep website I noticed that the claimed electric range has gone down from 25 to just 21 miles. Thoughts?
First they said:
Jeep Wrangler JL What do you think about the reduced electric range? Was 40 milesBack In'08

Then they said: 25 miles.
Now they say:
Jeep Wrangler JL What do you think about the reduced electric range? TodaysStats

Thoughts? In my world this is not a favorable trend.
Sponsored