Questions about the hybrid range.

dflowerz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, Subaru Crosstrek, Porsche 911 C2s
First post here. Never mind. This discussion is already happening on another thread.

Have an order in for a Bronco but the 4xe is really intriguing. Jeep rates the 4xe at 50mpge, but my question is how long the electric assist works on longer highway trips? I know it depends on how hilly, etc, but I wonder if anyone knows. I know you can choose to turn the electric assist off to save it for later use. I guess I am just curious about how long you will get the good mileage and full power if you drive with both systems on. Also what would the mileage be with just the gas engine. I am really looking forward to real world tests. If the system turned out to be really great then I might be tempted to bag the Bronco and go with a Rubicon just to get the hybrid system.
**After reading another thread here about what 50mpge means, I wonder what the economy will be with both systems working, or just the engine.
Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
The systems work in tandem. During regular driving the battery will continually get replenished. Think about a non-plug-in hybrid like a standard Prius. It doesn't start with good mileage, use up its battery, and then use just the ICE for the rest of the trip. There isn't really a reason to try to run on the ICE alone unless you were trying to do something like drive to an off-road site and then use just battery power once you get there.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I don't think there is anyway to answer your question without several of us having our orders and reporting gas mileage.

OP
OP

dflowerz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, Subaru Crosstrek, Porsche 911 C2s
I can imagine that you could run the 4xe on electric for short trips so that would be great. Thinking the mileage for anything else might be a wash. My wife drives a 2013 Lexus RX450h which hovers around 25/26mpg city. Mostly used for 5 mile in city commuting. Mileage drops a bit in winter due to the engine running richer longer to warm up and ethanol in the fuel. That's where the 4xe might really shine by just using electric.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I can imagine that you could run the 4xe on electric for short trips so that would be great. Thinking the mileage for anything else might be a wash. My wife drives a 2013 Lexus RX450h which hovers around 25/26mpg city. Mostly used for 5 mile in city commuting. Mileage drops a bit in winter due to the engine running richer longer to warm up and ethanol in the fuel. That's where the 4xe might really shine by just using electric.
Yes, you can run it on electric only for a reported range of about 25 miles, which we'd imagine would be a bit less on the Rubicon.
Sponsored