First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I did 17" steelies on my JKR; had to run 17" because they were spare wheel takeoffs from a Dodge Ram 1500 that were adapted (through wheel spacers) to the 5x5 bolt pattern and powdercoated to match.

02.jpg
09.jpg
20.jpg
001.jpg
005.jpg
Damn, makes me really miss my old Commando Green JK. Those wheels look great!
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
As far as Western packages. Why not a package named Silverton. Simple steel bumpers (think JK North edition), steel wheels, rubber/vinyl floor, d44s w/front and rear lockers, 3.73 gears, marine vinyl or sailcloth seats. A Jeep ready to explore mountain trails right off the lot with no extra fancy trim or electronic extras. Rugged and simple, like those old mining towns and the people who used to live there.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Damn, makes me really miss my old Commando Green JK. Those wheels look great!
haha, me too amigo. I hadn’t gone down memory lane with pictures of Jolene (that JK) in a while and it was nice to see her again. Miss that Jeep.

jblackst

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU; '22 JL (well, it's the wife's)
I did 17" steelies on my JKR; had to run 17" because they were spare wheel takeoffs from a Dodge Ram 1500 that were adapted (through wheel spacers) to the 5x5 bolt pattern and powdercoated to match.

02.jpg
09.jpg
20.jpg
001.jpg
005.jpg
Those look very close to the OEM steel wheel (albeit painted) that was offered on the later YJs.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeepingib

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
15” used to be desirable due to the wide selection of tires. Not so much anymore. 16 and 17 are the more desirable wheel sizes today. 15” wheels are nostalgia today.

I agree on steel though. I think it makes for a far more durable, and in my opinion better looking wheel. Apparently the Land Rover and Land Cruiser communities value them far more than the Jeep community.
I know that 15s and 16s aren't desirable by most people nowadays, and larger brakes have made 17s the smallest size available in most cases. But I still think that for tires smaller than 35" a 15 or 16 works better. I'd be interested in seeing if those 4.5" BS 16s would fit on the JL front and clear.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A buddy of mine put 315s on 16-inch rims on his JK Sport: he had a hell of a time getting them balanced.

OP
OP
jeepingib

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
As far as Western packages. Why not a package named Silverton. Simple steel bumpers (think JK North edition), steel wheels, rubber/vinyl floor, d44s w/front and rear lockers, 3.73 gears, marine vinyl or sailcloth seats. A Jeep ready to explore mountain trails right off the lot with no extra fancy trim or electronic extras. Rugged and simple, like those old mining towns and the people who used to live there.
I like the idea of this too. I just figured that with all the Ford King Ranch, Ram Longhorn, Toyota 1794, even to a degree the Chevy High Country, that there is a market for a high-end western package. And with the heritage of Jeep and its past western packages that it would be a good idea.

OP
OP
jeepingib

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
A buddy of mine put 315s on 16-inch rims on his JK Sport: he had a hell of a time getting them balanced.
I ran 35x12.5 R15 on my JK without any trouble balancing. I've found that it's more about the manufacturer of the tire than anything else.

IMG_20200820_113331_320.jpg

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I'm saying this as a Northern urban dweller who's driven nothing but imports for 20+ years...

The first thing I bought for my Wrangler was brown saddle blanket seat covers. And I'm not sure you can tell from the picture, but that grill insert is red and black buffalo check.

I'm going retro Western with a splash of hippie for mine... keeping it as simple as I can (also due to budget). A mix of Austin, Colorado, and California beaches for my border collie and me...

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I'm saying this as a Northern urban dweller who's driven nothing but imports for 20+ years...

The first thing I bought for my Wrangler was brown saddle blanket seat covers. And I'm not sure you can tell from the picture, but that grill insert is red and black buffalo check.

I'm going retro Western with a splash of hippie for mine... keeping it as simple as I can (also due to budget). A mix of Austin, Colorado, and California beaches for my border collie and me...
Link to these blankets?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

This is an awesome thread. Sure, they could get pretty crazy with a package like this, and I'm definitely in the "no chrome" crowd, but one thing that I really, really wanted to be able to get in my Wrangler was that sweet sweet dark saddle worn-in leather on the King Ranch Edition pickups. It's just so nice and would go *awesome* in a wrangler.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I like the idea of this too. I just figured that with all the Ford King Ranch, Ram Longhorn, Toyota 1794, even to a degree the Chevy High Country, that there is a market for a high-end western package. And with the heritage of Jeep and its past western packages that it would be a good idea.
Well, there's an opportunity for Jeep. Revive the Laredo name. With all of this Yellowstone and Four 6s stuff getting so popular, now is the time to take advantage of the western heritage revival.

They can do a fancy Laredo and a no nonsense Silverton. Note to Jeep, just do it without focus groups and marketing strategy meetings. They will sell. My consulting fess are cheap compared to all of those other complications.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Just like 4 wheelers USED to be before they became a status symbol for folks who never leave a paved road. Never had to worry about getting them dirty. I was a Scout man in the day (after all, we had real window and doors😏) and remember taking my old Scout to the car wash, opening the doors, and washing that puppy out, wipe the seat with a towel, dry the inside of the window, and drive home. Do that with one of our new Jeeps and you’d short out a dozen circuits and the seat’s never gonna dry before they have mold growing on them.
Sponsored

Last edited: