Water storage idea

tjeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 TJ, '24 392
Typically when overloading I take a 5 gallon cube that I store on a shelf in the back. I have to mount it upright to make sure it doesn't leak, and it is kind of a PITA to get in and out because of a tight fit between the shelf and the hard top. I was thinking it would be nice to have something mounted on the shelf with a hose. I found a water tank at Front Runner, 11 gallons, and easy to mount. $200 seems a lot for a plastic tank though.

Looking around for a cheaper solution, I found a place that sells RV water tanks. A 13 gallon tank will fit on my shelf. Needs an air hose for ventilation because of the thin wall plastic, which I can strap to the roll bar. With all the fittings and hoses, it looks like it will be about $50. Any concerns about longevity using this kind of tank? I've had an off road trailer with a similar tank for over 20 years, never leaked.
Sponsored

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Typically when overloading I take a 5 gallon cube that I store on a shelf in the back. I have to mount it upright to make sure it doesn't leak, and it is kind of a PITA to get in and out because of a tight fit between the shelf and the hard top. I was thinking it would be nice to have something mounted on the shelf with a hose. I found a water tank at Front Runner, 11 gallons, and easy to mount. $200 seems a lot for a plastic tank though.

Looking around for a cheaper solution, I found a place that sells RV water tanks. A 13 gallon tank will fit on my shelf. Needs an air hose for ventilation because of the thin wall plastic, which I can strap to the roll bar. With all the fittings and hoses, it looks like it will be about $50. Any concerns about longevity using this kind of tank? I've had an off road trailer with a similar tank for over 20 years, never leaked.
13 gallons is a lot of weight. Right around 100lbs.
I'd be concerned with the strength of the mounting points. Plus when the tank is not full there is going to be a lot of sloshing and weight transfer without any baffles in the tanks.

Not trying to sway you but just hoping to give you some other considerations.

OP
OP
tjeeper

tjeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 TJ, '24 392
The shelf is rated for 250lbs, I don't think weight will be an issue. I would have to make some straps to hold it in place.

I typically bring 5 gallons with me, and only use 2-3. I don't cook much, so I would only bring about twice as much as I expect to use. But my wife has "suggested" she would like to come on our trips in the future. The size of this tank fits on the shelf perfectly, using all the space to the top. That is the only reason I picked this one, not for the total capacity.

The sloshing is inherent to any water storage inside the Jeep. The lower the water goes, the louder it gets. I'm used to it. I would rather keep it outside the Jeep, but I'm not sure where. I have LOD's rear carrier system and I am carrying 10 gallons of gas on it. Now that I think about it, I used to mount a jug on a carrier with my TJ. By the time we got to camp, it was coated in dirt. That's when I started to carry water inside my Jeep.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Here are couple options you may or may not have stumbled across:

https://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/Military-Water-Cans.html

https://www.waterbrick.org/

https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/2212-0020#/2212-0020

All these have the advantage of being scalable depending on your trip. I can vouch for the Scepters, but not the bricks or carboys... I just thought the bricks were kind of cool and the name stuck in my noodle, and being around labs you see these carboys used everywhere and hold up to some abuse and nasty things they don't want spilling!

Also... surf some "prepper" web sites... those folks get clever too, and have all kinds of different ideas and sources for stuff.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Have you looked at bumpers with integrated water storage? Some ever are pressurized.

Sponsored

dustdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I carry 3-gal. Aquabrick containers (not to be confused with similar product Waterbrick), secured with two NRS cambuckle straps. This is the most convenient and secure way I've found yet for water storage that is not taking up other valuable storage space elsewhere. If you run the straps as shown, you can really cinch them down tightly and they don't move around. (I sometimes stuff a jacket or something behind them just as a precaution anyway, but it's probably not needed.)

The Aquabrick does not leak, even upside down, and is extremely tough.
(I quit using the Scepter jugs because they were too rigid- pressure changes caused by elevation and temperature changes resulted in the jug flexing, which caused the lids to become loose over time and leak.)

aquabrick

aquabrick.jpg

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I've been thinking of mounting a water tank under the chassis where the torque battery typically sits on the 2.0 models - there's quite a big empty space that tucks up atop a crossmember/skid even in my 2 door model to the left of the gas tank that could easily fit a nice RV-style water tank. It'd sit nice and low on the Jeep and be relatively protected by the crossmember - could feasibly route the lines up and put a small faucet / valve somewhere convenient. I've seen some setups that do this on older Wranglers where they run an inline pump and it looks great.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I've been thinking of mounting a water tank under the chassis where the torque battery typically sits on the 2.0 models - there's quite a big empty space that tucks up atop a crossmember/skid even in my 2 door model to the left of the gas tank that could easily fit a nice RV-style water tank. It'd sit nice and low on the Jeep and be relatively protected by the crossmember - could feasibly route the lines up and put a small faucet / valve somewhere convenient. I've seen some setups that do this on older Wranglers where they run an inline pump and it looks great.
Check out The Road Chose Me - he outfitted his Jeep with a filtered water system to drive around Africa:

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I'm right there with you... been considering this as well. Before seeing the post below, I was going to link you to Dan's content.

Check out The Road Chose Me - he outfitted his Jeep with a filtered water system to drive around Africa:

This is where it's at. Low to the ground. The only downside I see to it is that you might have temp problems in COLD weather. This is leading me towards the solutions that put a tank across the trans tunnel.

Water is heavy... you really need to think about how this will affect weight distribution. You DO NOT want to fo off chamber and then have your water slush causing a potential tip.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
So depending what you’re looking for with your water I came across this the other day. Maybe a possibility.... water stored in the bumper.

2F8ACE0F-7E02-4A91-9064-63F3A4D7D2FC.jpeg
Sponsored