WATER LEAK UNDER DASH - DRIVER SIDE

UDUBJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
My JLWU is leaking on the PASSENGER side. The first time I noticed it, it was after a very heavy (horizontal) rain from back to front. I have WeatherTech mats in both the front and the back. There was water in the front passenger molded plastic mat. The carpet underneath was wet, too. With the rain blowing up the length of the vehicle and down the windshield, I figured it was a one-off situation.

I tow the Jeep behind a motorhome. Since I got home from a 4-month trip a month ago, it's been mostly sitting in the garage as my Hybrid gets better mileage. Today, I had the Jeep out. When I opened the door, the smell of mold was overpowering. I looked under the passenger floormat. The carpet mat under the WeatherTech mat was soaked! The carpet in the rear passenger side was damp (not soaked). There are dried water drip lines on the inside under the glove box near where the door hinges are located.

I have never removed the 3-piece top nor left the windows open in the rain. Something is leaking around the hood or windshield.
I went through a touchless car wash last week. When you first go in and that high pressure spray hits the lower part of the Jeep I had a decent amount of water hit my leg. It came from between the bottom of the door and the body.
Sponsored

Onthego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Sahara Wrangler towed behind Motorhome
I went through a touchless car wash last week. When you first go in and that high pressure spray hits the lower part of the Jeep I had a decent amount of water hit my leg. It came from between the bottom of the door and the body.
Thanks for your response. I've never been through a commercial carwash. I like to wash my car by hand. It's possible, though. I washed it last in early July with a touchless wand. It doesn't explain the standing water in the WeatherTech mat in early May.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My JLWU is leaking on the PASSENGER side. The first time I noticed it, it was after a very heavy (horizontal) rain from back to front. I have WeatherTech mats in both the front and the back. There was water in the front passenger molded plastic mat. The carpet underneath was wet, too. With the rain blowing up the length of the vehicle and down the windshield, I figured it was a one-off situation.

I tow the Jeep behind a motorhome. Since I got home from a 4-month trip a month ago, it's been mostly sitting in the garage as my Hybrid gets better mileage. Today, I had the Jeep out. When I opened the door, the smell of mold was overpowering. I looked under the passenger floormat. The carpet mat under the WeatherTech mat was soaked! The carpet in the rear passenger side was damp (not soaked). There are dried water drip lines on the inside under the glove box near where the door hinges are located.

I have never removed the 3-piece top nor left the windows open in the rain. Something is leaking around the hood or windshield.
Hi Onthego,
We're sorry to hear about your recent concern. If you decide to have your dealer look into this further, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be happy to add assistance.
Alex
Jeep Cares

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR

That sucks!

Punisher308

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler rubicon JL
I have the same leak, except it's on the passenger side.

After searching over the forums for a possible solution, one member pointed to the mucket seal on the door frame and apply topper tape over the seal. Check it out here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2018-sahara-flooding-drivers-side-floor-panel.30047/

I checked my passenger door seal and found, in the picture where the yellow arrow is pointing, part of the seal is pulling away from the gasket that it is glued to. This is where the water is coming in from. I tested with a jug of water right over that spot with the doors closed and found water coming inside the cabin just like I would find it after it rained. I then temporary put some tape just over the top of the mucket seal and poured water over the same area and no leaks.

You can see this gap from the outside with the door closed, so when it rains and the water is coming down the side of the frame that little gap acts like a funnel and diverts water into the cabin.

Not sure how the mucket seal is separating from the gasket that it's glued to, but for whatever reason it's failing and this is most likely where most people are getting water inside the cabin. So it's probably best to tape up that whole mucket seal like the member in the other thread suggested. I'm going to try gorilla tape and see how that holds.

I added a picture of the drivers side for comparison, and you can see it's not separated from the gasket underneath, yet. That is also going to get taped up.

passenger side.jpg

driver side.jpg

Sponsored

DWheelerR

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
bumppp!!!

Now that we have been getting heavy rain lately, mine is leaking onto my foot just like the video posted. I can not pinpoint where exactly its coming from. Ive pulled the corner cowl and soaked it but just cant see where its coming in from.! It dont look like the plug on the firewall unless there is another one way up that I cant see.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi Derek,

We're sorry to learn that you have a water leak as shown in the video. Have you notified your servicing Jeep dealer of this? Please send our team a private message if you are in need of additional support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

DWheelerR

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Derek,

We're sorry to learn that you have a water leak as shown in the video. Have you notified your servicing Jeep dealer of this? Please send our team a private message if you are in need of additional support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Thank you! Im going to try and pin point where its coming from first so they wont need weeks of testing

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thank you! Im going to try and pin point where its coming from first so they wont need weeks of testing
Feel free to keep us updated!

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

sm16

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi, 2016 BMW X6M
Hi Derek, would you mind providing a bit more detail on what you did to fix your issue. I just started having the same leak and can’t find the source. Thanks!

AltJL

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. I would love to see the fix. I would hate to have a wet left foot during the entire PNW winter.

OhState

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU, 2022 JLR
I've had my 2018 JKU in the shop three times for this issue and it is still leaking. I just got it back on March 5 and today is the first day it has rained since then, and it is still leaking. I'm getting water on both sides.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
It is important to note that many RTVs are corrosive while curing, so just curious what you all are using to seal the windshield gaps under the cowl.
Sponsored