Kavmi02

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting but I have been reading posts from this forum for a while now and have found it very useful so, huge thank you to everyone that contributes on here. So I just bought my first wrangler (have wanted one since I was a kid), a 2018 JL Sahara that has some mods (Lift, Wheels, etc). I have had the vehicle for 3 months now and have encountered the following problem with my Jeep. Three times now, when it rains really hard (I live in Boston) there is 1-3 inches of rain pooled in the floor board on the drivers side, coming from the panel to the right of the door. It’s a hard issue to re-create (I’ve tried with my own stupid leak tests) but its inconsistent. I finally was able to run out during a heavy rain storm yesterday to film the primary leak and where its coming from and honestly I cant figure out where/why. I’ve watched lots of different videos of the common leaks the JLs have but none seem to fit what I am experiencing. Now there is a big catch with my situation, I had the jeep painted with Rhino Liner, which voids the warranty therefore no Jeep dealership will even look at my Jeep. I am also aware that there’s a good chance the leak is due to the rhino linear paint job potentially negatively effecting the JLs water draining process. I have an appointment with the company that did the paint job to hope they can look and try to figure it out but honestly if they cant I don’t really know where to go from there, I am sort of tossing up a hail marry here that maybe someone on this forum has seen something like this, video below. Huge thank you for reading this and any help.

Leak Video:

Side note- I did try to flood the Cowl area because I thought after watching some videos it could be that but sadly after flooding the Cowl area the Jeep was draining the water fine.

Thank you again!
Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Did they remove anything when they rhino lined it?
Possibly a door seal not sealing anymore? due to the rhino lining.

Was it leaking before the rhino liner was applied?

Windshield seal?

try powerwashing it in a few spots, windshield, the cowl piece that is removable and around the door.

Looks like it is pouring right over the kick plate that covers the door plug

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
I came home after a week away with water sitting in my drivers side floor mat... carpet is wet under it... not happy.

Is anyone else having or know of any leaks?

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
Those of you having the problem, what is your manufacturer date? I’m wondering if it’s a specific date or if it’s sporadic.

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I remember there being an issue with the door seals by the mirror in the JK. From where it's coming, it looks like it could be around that area.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kavmi02

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Did they remove anything when they rhino lined it?
Possibly a door seal not sealing anymore? due to the rhino lining.

Was it leaking before the rhino liner was applied?

Windshield seal?

try powerwashing it in a few spots, windshield, the cowl piece that is removable and around the door.

Looks like it is pouring right over the kick plate that covers the door plug
I bought it with the Rhino liner already on, i wouldnt know. Ive done some powerwashing/leak tests and I am pretty sure its not the cowl area, ive tried reproducing the leak by spraying around the windshield, hinges etc but no luck.

OP
OP

Kavmi02

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
UPDATE: Thank you to everyone who has responded, i went out after work to the car wash to try to replicate the leak and I think i have it isolated to the drivers side door, specifically this rubber pierce (ignore my ignorance, not sure if this is just a door seal or what) and i noticed there were two holes where it looked like something went? I checked my passengers side and saw that these holes are in fact covered. Could this be the root cause and if so where i can buy the plug or cover for these holes?The seal or piece of rubber just seems alot more flimsier on the leak side than the passengers side which isnt leaking. No idea why these were removed or potentially fell out?

Huge thank you again to everyone.

jeep door 1.jpg

jeep door 2.jpg

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
UPDATE: Thank you to everyone who has responded, i went out after work to the car wash to try to replicate the leak and I think i have it isolated to the drivers side door, specifically this rubber pierce (ignore my ignorance, not sure if this is just a door seal or what) and i noticed there were two holes where it looked like something went? I checked my passengers side and saw that these holes are in fact covered. Could this be the root cause and if so where i can buy the plug or cover for these holes?The seal or piece of rubber just seems alot more flimsier on the leak side than the passengers side which isnt leaking. No idea why these were removed or potentially fell out?

Huge thank you again to everyone.

jeep door 1.jpg

jeep door 2.jpg
i know im late to this lol but here i go

thats a mucket seal door seal - those holes are notorious to let in water - what u can do is ordersome of the stuff below that is bold
and cover the entire door seal once u replace the caps/tree plugs which hold it on
this topper tape will not only cover them from getting lost but also cover the seal from water getting in or around it --
i used your photo to show where /how to cover

theres a few spots where the water comes in that i know of for the driver side/ floor area that iv seen
1 is your seal that u posted --
another one is the cowl seams - photos below
another one is the drain tube under the wipers - check it works
another one is the firewall plug located directly on the driver side - near brake booster
and one last one i know is the windshield seal - - if u hear any noise-air-wind when u drive fold down your windshield and check the gasket at the base
hope something helped here
remove the cowl covers and seal the gaps shown in the photos
this is where mine was not sealed very good - i sealed with jb weld clear silicone and also covered those same mucket seals and leaks are gone
API LDTT200P Topper Tape for Mounting Truck Caps / Camper Shells (1 roll 2" x 30' long

2.jpg

IMG_1244.JPG

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1247.JPG

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
It is important to note that many RTVs are corrosive while curing, so just curious what you all are using to seal the windshield gaps under the cowl. I know elf883 used JB Weld clear silicone, but I can't confirm whether that's corrosive or not.
Sponsored