DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
You can submit payment (credit card) on the form in the bottle when you return it or just enter the payment on their website with your account. Easy peasy. They'll send you several sample kits.
thanks so much that does sound easy!

That is exactly the same as mine, I would think if it was an entire quart over it would be higher up.
It there any particular reason why you feel it should be higher if they put a full quart extra? I donā€™t know where exactly the dip stick enters the engine or whether itā€™s at an angle to provide more resolution so Iā€™d love to know if thereā€™s something you know lol
Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
thanks so much that does sound easy!

It there any particular reason why you feel it should be higher if they put a full quart extra? I donā€™t know where exactly the dip stick enters the engine or whether itā€™s at an angle to provide more resolution so Iā€™d love to know if thereā€™s something you know lol
Not that you asked me, but from my experience with dealer oil changes that looks about 1 quart overfilled to me. Thatā€™s about where mine was after my first dealer 6 quart oil change (checked in the dealerā€™s driveway).

After they ā€œcorrectedā€ it it was right at the junction of the wire and and the rounded part. I think that was still slightly overfilled and I drained about 5-1/2 quarts when I changed it myself. On mine if I put in exactly 5 quarts it will be at the very top of the cross hatched area.

Bubalooie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram longhorn 3500 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
I got my first oil change recently at the dealer and the guy writing the paperwork noted in the paper that the Jeeps takes 5quarts but after the oil change I saw the invoice and the quantity for the oils was 6 and I went up to him and asked him why itā€™s six when it should be five and he said something about the lines needing to be filled too? That sounded a little odd to me but I didnā€™t continue it and I left.

Today I was about to leave for a leisurely little road trip and randomly decided to check the level. I had initiated remote start so the engine was warmed up. I checked the oil about one minute after I shut off the engine.

Is my engine severely overfilled or did I check it incorrectly??
I removed the dipstick and fully cleaned it about five times and rechecked and got the same results shown in the photos.

2FDE6FAD-1AA8-4DF0-B223-8381D42E658E.jpeg
EEB3ACDC-EA48-4A46-AC57-D0248EA5C7D0.jpeg
it looks good

nojp

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler 2 door sports S
I wished I'd saved the picture but when I checked my stick after a few months from the oil change it was an inch past that. I dropped 7 quarts out when i proceeded to change it myself.
I think the dealers just count off seconds while the oil flows in. wtf?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I wished I'd saved the picture but when I checked my stick after a few months from the oil change it was an inch past that. I dropped 7 quarts out when i proceeded to change it myself.
Wow, that's crazy! That dealership sounds like a bunch of ding dongs among ding dongs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Holy crap. Mineā€™s already almost half an inch onto the wire, I canā€™t imagine another inch on top of that!

But after some reading I did recently, it appears that the worst that can happen is the crankshaft starts hitting the puddle of oil on the bottom as it rotates, which can at worst cause some cavitation and bubbling of the oil, which may slightly lower the life of bearings and seals (if that bubbling ever reaches up there).

Someone correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but Iā€™d wager a guess youā€™d need to be somewhere along the lines of having 50% more oil in ur engine before your crankshaft starts to make contact with the puddle when it rotates. Barring super car engines and whatnot.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Anything past the red is over filled

Jeep Wrangler JL Was my engine overfilled? (Pics) 4B00A6A6-92ED-43EA-B5BC-83A8C2FE07B1
Mine always look like this and I do my own oil changes. 5qts pennzoil jug. I dont think it is that accurate.

I never get over 5qts of oil when draining and I let it drain for a very long time.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
. But back then, we had a dirt alley in those days. So we would change Our oil, then spread the dirty oil in the alley way.
Theres a dirt patch on my house where NOTHING grows. Ive tried every plant in the planet including california natives. Everything dies. Now I know why.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
@DanW posted that his friend who worked on the pentastar design confirmed +|- a quart will not harm anything. Iā€™m anal, though, and it would bother me.
As long as the crank shaft is not contacting the oil, which could cause air to mix with the oil, creating a "froth", there shouldn't be any problem. I'd like to hear from a Pentastar engineer, mechaninc/motorhead that an additinal quart is not an issue. I have a Chevy SSR. People smarter than I recommned 6 quarts instead of 5 because of the screwy Trailblazer oil pan that has the deepest part of the oil pan at the front of the truck instead of the rear (can you say oil starvation at fast acceleration?). Crankshaft does not contact the oil even with 6 quarts of oil.

Sponsored

Bubalooie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram longhorn 3500 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
I wasnā€™t talking about selling though, I was talking about if something went wrong with my engine/drivetrain and I went to the dealership for warranty work
You are perfectly fine doing your own maintenance on your vehicles. keep your recipes and records. The manufacture must prove lack of maintenance in order to deny your claim.
As far as an extra quart of oil in your crankcase, just drive it, you won't hurt a thing.
I buy new or newer vehicles so I don't have to check my oil between changes. I do look under my vehicle for leaks or dripping but once I am sure my vehicle does not use more than a quart between changes, I just drive it. I do periodically look under the hood to look for issues but that's it. BTW, extra oil is Extra cooling,šŸ˜

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
I had to school my local dealer service manager and his mechanics the other day. When I asked how many quarts my 2020 JLUR takes they told me 6. I pulled out my iPad and showed the manager the tech bulletin saying that the oil pans had changed and some now only take 5 quarts. We went out into the shop and he had the mechanic working on my Jeep stop at 5 quarts and check it. Sure enough..... full with 5! So, now they know and will start checking others. The manager thanked me and apologized for over filling it the first time.

https://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/articles/355-oil-capacity-and-drain-back-rate

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
You have to double check their work always before leaving the lot. The problem is that the Jeep techs are told to put in 5.8 Qts from their shop manuals. Owners manual and dipstick states 5 Qts. Not quite sure why the discrepancy, but itā€™s ducking annoying as hell.
Sponsored