Was my engine overfilled? (Pics)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
how do you otherwise prove you had regular oil changes? do you keep a receipt log? when my JK 3.8 blew at 50k, it was a nightmare to try to get them to cover it. they also want it to be done by a competent facility.

correct, it doesn't have to be by the dealership
Very simple. Save receipts and keep a record. Manual has a place to enter maintenance by hand, or use a spreadsheet, Jeep app, whatever.

Also, unless the claim can be directly attributed to not changing oil (e.g. engine is seized or full of sludge), no dealer is going to even look at oil change records. Sure, there are plenty of crappy shops who will push back on everything because they get away with it, sometimes, but they haven’t a leg to stand on.

I used to get Blackstone reports with every change when I had a Raptor. Bullet proof documentation if a guy was really worried. With the Jeep I keep a record using the app. My Pentastar is a tried and true platform, and I will never have a warranty claim to make that could in any way be attributed to oil changes (or lack thereof).

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Jeep Wrangler JL Was my engine overfilled? (Pics) 1619885663028
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome thanks! I saw Walmart also carries the required mopar filter but would they actually stock that in their stores? I assumed it was order only even from Walmart.
Always in stock. Wrangler is a very popular vehicle.

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It didn't, and won't damage anything.
I wouldn’t think one quart would cause any major damage but the way forum members warn you about the overfilling, it makes you second guess it so I had to ask! Thanks a bunch

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn’t think one quart would cause any major damage but the way forum members warn you about the overfilling, it makes you second guess it so I had to ask! Thanks a bunch
@DanW posted that his friend who worked on the pentastar design confirmed +|- a quart will not harm anything. I’m anal, though, and it would bother me.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DavidArmen I keep this as an iPhone note. Maybe some of it will be useful to you since you’re just getting started. Note that I have a 2dr, manual rubicon with tow package some some things may be different for you (eg diff oil weight)

Oil
5q 0w20

Diff
75w90 - front
75w140 - rear
"Flex Fill" bags are the way to go:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KB5LTJM/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HQGCVG/

Oil Filter
MOPAR MO-349 68191349AB/AC
Mobil 1: M1C-456A

Air Filter
MOPAR 68257030AA

Cabin Filter
MOPAR 68301863AA

Sockets
22mm lugs
13mm drain plug
24mm oil filter cap (torque to 18lbs - too tight and it'll crack)
8mm air filter

UConnect
Pull F97 to reset
Hold driver's side temperature up, temperature down and front defrost buttons simultaneously to enter dealer mode (to see version numbers)

TSBs
TSB 18-092-19 Needed so Jeep will crank on second try if AUX is dead. Don't say ESS because that TSB doesn't mention it. Say the A/C fan is too loud.

Main Battery
Northstar 48 or Odyssey 94R (94R only confirmed to fit Rubicon with tow package)

Forum recommended tires
Cooper STT Pro (these look badass with lettering out - good in snow) 285/70R17

BFG KO2 (stock)

Full Tazer Sleep Process
For some reason Joe removed some of this from latest guide. The red security bit is useful!

Once done adjusting settings, turn the ignition off, then start the vehicle. It may start and stall with the red security dot lit. If this happens, wait 10 seconds and try again, it will resume operation when it has completed its re-learn procedure. Then two sleep cycles: Shut off the vehicle, open and close the driver door and wait for a minute to be sure the dash turns off. Then start it, wait for the radio to boot up, then shut it off and open/close door and wait again.

Fuse Array
68368854AA - 100 Amp (tow package)

Fix seat if it won't recline
68485522AA Insert-Seat Position Return
68485519AA Insert-Seat Position Return

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ld-and-lock-into-position-june-20-2019.34614/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ld-and-lock-into-position-june-20-2019.34614/

Jeep Wrangler JL Was my engine overfilled? (Pics) 1619886307072

Jeep Wrangler JL Was my engine overfilled? (Pics) 1619886324528

Jeep Wrangler JL Was my engine overfilled? (Pics) 1619886347657

Jeep Wrangler JL Was my engine overfilled? (Pics) 1619886369496

Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
@DanW posted that his friend who worked on the pentastar design confirmed +|- a quart will not harm anything. I’m anal, though, and it would bother me.
That’s very nice to hear! I’m anal too about these things haha

I digress but I actually requested a kit from Blackstone almost a week ago, I just put my name and address in their website and they are supposedly going to ship me the container for free? How would I then pay for it to get tested? And would you know how long they take to send one out since you have experience with them? I wanted to test my oil literally just for the heck of it when I saw it was cheaper than I was expecting at about $35.

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
@DavidArmen I keep this as an iPhone note. Maybe some of it will be useful to you since you’re just getting started. Note that I have a 2dr, manual rubicon with tow package some some things may be different for you (eg diff oil weight)

Oil
5q 0w20

Diff
75w90 - front
75w140 - rear
"Flex Fill" bags are the way to go:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KB5LTJM/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HQGCVG/

Oil Filter
MOPAR MO-349 68191349AB/AC
Mobil 1: M1C-456A

Air Filter
MOPAR 68257030AA

Cabin Filter
MOPAR 68301863AA

Sockets
22mm lugs
13mm drain plug
24mm oil filter cap (torque to 18lbs - too tight and it'll crack)
8mm air filter

UConnect
Pull F97 to reset
Hold driver's side temperature up, temperature down and front defrost buttons simultaneously to enter dealer mode (to see version numbers)

TSBs
TSB 18-092-19 Needed so Jeep will crank on second try if AUX is dead. Don't say ESS because that TSB doesn't mention it. Say the A/C fan is too loud.

Main Battery
Northstar 48 or Odyssey 94R (94R only confirmed to fit Rubicon with tow package)

Forum recommended tires
Cooper STT Pro (these look badass with lettering out - good in snow) 285/70R17

BFG KO2 (stock)

Full Tazer Sleep Process
For some reason Joe removed some of this from latest guide. The red security bit is useful!

Once done adjusting settings, turn the ignition off, then start the vehicle. It may start and stall with the red security dot lit. If this happens, wait 10 seconds and try again, it will resume operation when it has completed its re-learn procedure. Then two sleep cycles: Shut off the vehicle, open and close the driver door and wait for a minute to be sure the dash turns off. Then start it, wait for the radio to boot up, then shut it off and open/close door and wait again.

Fuse Array
68368854AA - 100 Amp (tow package)

Fix seat if it won't recline
68485522AA Insert-Seat Position Return
68485519AA Insert-Seat Position Return

Than an INCREDIBLE compilation of all the important information! I’m very appreciative for this post! Thank you!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s very nice to hear! I’m anal too about these things haha

I digress but I actually requested a kit from Blackstone almost a week ago, I just put my name and address in their website and they are supposedly going to ship me the container for free? How would I then pay for it to get tested? And would you know how long they take to send one out since you have experience with them? I wanted to test my oil literally just for the heck of it when I saw it was cheaper than I was expecting at about $35.
It’s easy. You just fill in the form, mail, and pay on their website. They send you a pdf report. Doesn’t take long.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I will admit I used all the free oil changes on my JL and they over filled it one time ( first one ) after that I stood at my Jeep when they did the last two of three changes and repeated to the tech over and over 5 qts only and checked it before I left their lot so when my last one was up the Service Advisor told me no more free ones and I said I was doing it myself after the last one and he convinced me to get a 4 change deal which worked out to $35 per change so after doing the math it seemed worth it and all I do when I go in is tell the tech 5 qts and have it written on the service order and stand at my Jeep when he gets ready to add again tell I him 5 qts and then check the level before I leave their lot.

For some this seems like a huge hassle but I have a record of the change plus I drink their coffee and don’t get my hands dirty and I also don't change until the JL tells me to change, I do all highway driving and usually get about 8k miles on a change.

I know lots do there own changes but $35 is pretty cheap and presently I’m a happy camper, the Advisor I always deal with just laughs when I come in as my nickname is “The Five Quart Man” and I’m ok with that

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I can change the oil and filter and clean up afterwards faster than it takes me to drive to the dealer. The wait and hassle of supervising their grease monkeys isn't worth it.

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I will admit I used all the free oil changes on my JL and they over filled it one time ( first one ) after that I stood at my Jeep when they did the last two of three changes and repeated to the tech over and over 5 qts only and checked it before I left their lot so when my last one was up the Service Advisor told me no more free ones and I said I was doing it myself after the last one and he convinced me to get a 4 change deal which worked out to $35 per change so after doing the math it seemed worth it and all I do when I go in is tell the tech 5 qts and have it written on the service order and stand at my Jeep when he gets ready to add again tell I him 5 qts and then check the level before I leave their lot.

For some this seems like a huge hassle but I have a record of the change plus I drink their coffee and don’t get my hands dirty and I also don't change until the JL tells me to change, I do all highway driving and usually get about 8k miles on a change.

I know lots do there own changes but $35 is pretty cheap and presently I’m a happy camper, the Advisor I always deal with just laughs when I come in as my nickname is “The Five Quart Man” and I’m ok with that
I just find it so crazy that we actually have to do all that for them to do their job correctly and properly. I mean the JL wasn’t released yesterday, even thought that’s still not an excuse. It’s beyond crazy that this is still a common occurrence after over four years.

Longhair1957

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Occupation
Retired
Here’s one of those back in the day comments. My dad was a diesel mechanic his whole life. So of course me and my brothers were all taught how to change your oil. As a matter of fact. By 16 I had rebuilt an engine, transmission, clutch, brakes and bodywork on my first car. But back then, we had a dirt alley in those days. So we would change Our oil, then spread the dirty oil in the alley way. Three boys and a dad, eventually the alley did not cause dust as the trash trucks went through. Now, I need to put it in a container and take it down to Auto Zone. So most of the time I end up getting my oil changed at Jiffy Lube.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)