Was my engine overfilled? (Pics)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
If there has ever been a more comprehensively helpful post on this forum, I haven't seen it.

THANK YOU!
I’ve spent too much time on this forum for over three years… most of that list came from @Rhinebeck01 - I just collected it into a note.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve spent too much time on this forum for over three years… most of that list came from @Rhinebeck01 - I just collected it into a note.
Ive looked at a pdf service manual that has all tech info but pretty pricy

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
No need to drain that extra quart. Just keep checking the level and wiping off the dipstick until it's down where it should be.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I’d love to do them myself, but won’t they f*** me in the future if there are no dealership maintenance records and something goes wrong?
seriously, get over this.

How many used cars have you bought that you were given the complete maintenance records? Maybe if you bought from a private buyer-I will give you that.

Would you frown on buying a used car from a private buyer who did fluid changes correctly over x number of miles vs a dealer's service shop? knowing what your asking?

Honestly, most used cars go to auction if not a dealers lot.

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
seriously, get over this.

How many used cars have you bought that you were given the complete maintenance records? Maybe if you bought from a private buyer-I will give you that.

Would you frown on buying a used car from a private buyer who did fluid changes correctly over x number of miles vs a dealer's service shop? knowing what your asking?

Honestly, most used cars go to auction if not a dealers lot.
I wasn’t talking about selling though, I was talking about if something went wrong with my engine/drivetrain and I went to the dealership for warranty work

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
how do you otherwise prove you had regular oil changes? do you keep a receipt log? when my JK 3.8 blew at 50k, it was a nightmare to try to get them to cover it. they also want it to be done by a competent facility.

correct, it doesn't have to be by the dealership
I buy my oil/filters on Amazon. They have a history of every purchase I've made since 1999. If challenged, I can print out receipts.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
@DavidArmen I keep this as an iPhone note. Maybe some of it will be useful to you since you’re just getting started. Note that I have a 2dr, manual rubicon with tow package some some things may be different for you (eg diff oil weight)

Oil
5q 0w20

Diff
75w90 - front
75w140 - rear
"Flex Fill" bags are the way to go:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KB5LTJM/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HQGCVG/

Oil Filter
MOPAR MO-349 68191349AB/AC
Mobil 1: M1C-456A

Air Filter
MOPAR 68257030AA

Cabin Filter
MOPAR 68301863AA

Sockets
22mm lugs
13mm drain plug
24mm oil filter cap (torque to 18lbs - too tight and it'll crack)
8mm air filter

UConnect
Pull F97 to reset
Hold driver's side temperature up, temperature down and front defrost buttons simultaneously to enter dealer mode (to see version numbers)

TSBs
TSB 18-092-19 Needed so Jeep will crank on second try if AUX is dead. Don't say ESS because that TSB doesn't mention it. Say the A/C fan is too loud.

Main Battery
Northstar 48 or Odyssey 94R (94R only confirmed to fit Rubicon with tow package)

Forum recommended tires
Cooper STT Pro (these look badass with lettering out - good in snow) 285/70R17

BFG KO2 (stock)

Full Tazer Sleep Process
For some reason Joe removed some of this from latest guide. The red security bit is useful!

Once done adjusting settings, turn the ignition off, then start the vehicle. It may start and stall with the red security dot lit. If this happens, wait 10 seconds and try again, it will resume operation when it has completed its re-learn procedure. Then two sleep cycles: Shut off the vehicle, open and close the driver door and wait for a minute to be sure the dash turns off. Then start it, wait for the radio to boot up, then shut it off and open/close door and wait again.

Fuse Array
68368854AA - 100 Amp (tow package)

Fix seat if it won't recline
68485522AA Insert-Seat Position Return
68485519AA Insert-Seat Position Return

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ld-and-lock-into-position-june-20-2019.34614/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ld-and-lock-into-position-june-20-2019.34614/

1619886307072.png

1619886324528.png

1619886347657.png

1619886369496.png
That's a great post there^^^
Only one thing I'd alter, use a 1/2" socket on the oil drain plug, no slop vs. the 13mm socket, and a 15/16" on the oil filter cap is a no-slop fit, although at only 18 ft lbs it's a no-biggie :)
Nice job @OldGuyNewJeep :clap: :handsinair::rock::like:

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Only one thing I'd alter, use a 1/2" socket on the oil drain plug, no slop vs. the 13mm socket, and a 15/16" on the oil filter cap is a no-slop fit, although at only 18 ft lbs it's a no-biggie :)
Thanks! That’s very interesting considering all other bolts on the JL are metric.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks! That’s very interesting considering all other bolts on the JL are metric.
Actually the LCA bolts @190 ft lbs are a better fit w/ SAE socket too, and don't want any slop at those torque values :(
I've found over the years (and seems more true w/ Jeeps) is it's best to check the fasteners w/ both SAE and Metric, some really do have excess slop. There's been a few on the site that have rounded their LCA bolts w/ the metric socket used.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Did you try it again after it was warmed up? My JLUR came back with 6 quarts on the receipt as well. They gave me some BS that it was because they round up as it takes 5.2 quarts. Mine is just above the bullet and on the wire. However, once it hits the wire it is really hard to read how far it goes up the wire...

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I actually ditched that drain plug after the first oil change. I use a Fumoto valve, which is absolutely awesome.

I don’t notice any slop with my 6 point Tekton socket on the cap, but 18lbs is such a low spec that I’m not surprised that I wouldn’t notice. I can say for sure there is no slop with the lugs. I use prescribed metric socket on those.

I also keep a spare oil filter cap on hand in case mine ever cracks. Also keep the $3 seat return parts in the glove box (per advice of @Rhinebeck01).

Anyway, for a person just starting out I’d recommend buying 3/8 and 1/2 sets that include both SAE and metric. I am a huge fan of Tekton: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYZ2IJ5/ They also make great torque wrenches, for the money.

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Did you try it again after it was warmed up? My JLUR came back with 6 quarts on the receipt as well. They gave me some BS that it was because they round up as it takes 5.2 quarts. Mine is just above the bullet and on the wire. However, once it hits the wire it is really hard to read how far it goes up the wire...
They told me it’s “for the oil lines” and I still don’t know what lines they meant as that’s the first time I ever heard that for any vehicle lol

Yeah I first checked it after Jeep was fully warmed up (barring the tranny), I turned off the engine and checked it one minute later (1st pic). About four hours later, I went to the jeep and checked the dipstick again without turning over the engine at all (2nd pic) and it was still up onto the wire about a quarter of an inch.
Jeep Wrangler JL Was my engine overfilled? (Pics) 57F70AF5-AD4B-465A-AFFA-DE52B94346F7
Jeep Wrangler JL Was my engine overfilled? (Pics) 2ACA66E0-0BD2-4B26-B96C-22C7556DD4F7

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That’s very nice to hear! I’m anal too about these things haha

I digress but I actually requested a kit from Blackstone almost a week ago, I just put my name and address in their website and they are supposedly going to ship me the container for free? How would I then pay for it to get tested? And would you know how long they take to send one out since you have experience with them? I wanted to test my oil literally just for the heck of it when I saw it was cheaper than I was expecting at about $35.
You can submit payment (credit card) on the form in the bottle when you return it or just enter the payment on their website with your account. Easy peasy. They'll send you several sample kits.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

They told me it’s “for the oil lines” and I still don’t know what lines they meant as that’s the first time I ever heard that for any vehicle lol

Yeah I first checked it after Jeep was fully warmed up (barring the tranny), I turned off the engine and checked it one minute later (1st pic). About four hours later, I went to the jeep and checked the dipstick again without turning over the engine at all (2nd pic) and it was still up onto the wire about a quarter of an inch.
Jeep Wrangler JL Was my engine overfilled? (Pics) 2ACA66E0-0BD2-4B26-B96C-22C7556DD4F7
That is exactly the same as mine, I would think if it was an entire quart over it would be higher up.
Sponsored