Sponsored

Using a Rubicon as a daily driver

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
Personally I think the stock Rubicon K02s ride really quiet and smooth for what they are. Might actually be the Rubicon springs or the tire pressure was set too high if you felt it was bouncy or too firm? The Moab might be a consideration for you too. Rubicon styling and Sahara underpinnings. I don't think any JL would be a bad daily driver. All of the JL Rubicons I test drove are quieter then some sport cars I have owned. Whatever I order will be my daily driver.
If only the Moab had the high fenders. To me it looks weird with the Rubi hood and low fenders. Like the Euro Rubi version. But a good suggestion actually if you don't mind the look for sure.
Sponsored

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
My four-door JL Rubicon is my only vehicle so yes Iā€™ll daily drive it And it drives so good!

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

I plan on ordering a 2019 Rubicon in a few months, and also plan on using it as a daily driver...

I do understand that Rubicon is made for off-roading, but do you guys think I can purchase "less" rugged tires and swap my Rubi tires out with them?
Wihtout reading the entire thread, have you driven any of the new JL models? If you end up with a Rubi, those stock tires are better on road than off.

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
I sort of feel like a Rubicon owner shouldnā€™t type LUV. Ever.

It just doesnā€™t feel ā€œalphaā€. :)
I did not want to misrepresent my kids feelings on the matter...they would never take the time to spell out ā€˜loveā€™.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Thanks for your input. I also always wanted a Rubicon....The aesthetics of the Rubicon, looks freaking amazing compared to Sahara, and all the other trims.....
At the end of the day, I'm driving a WRANGLER. And we all know it isn't a comfort car, or a sports sedan.

I'm just trying to change or reduce the bumpiness, to make it family friendly. I figured changing tires?
What about the MOAB edition, which has some of the aesthetics on a Sahara?

I DD my JLUR...from test drives the JLUR handled a little looser on the road. I wouldn't say rougher. But the tires DO make a noticeable difference. I have a manual and it's easy to chirp the tires from a stop in first...sometimes second. It is the limited traction of the tire that does it. It also makes stopping worse on the JLUR.

That goes double with any precipitation...you can lock-up and slide until you get used to it.

Take it with a grain of salt...came from an M3 that was amazing in the dry and could brake really efficiently in the wet. I'm adjusted to it now, but just leave more space in traffic.

GL!

Sponsored

Kenc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM TRX, 2020 C8 Corvette, and a Wrangler 392
Occupation
Boat Builder
Thanks for your input. I also always wanted a Rubicon....The aesthetics of the Rubicon, looks freaking amazing compared to Sahara, and all the other trims.....
At the end of the day, I'm driving a WRANGLER. And we all know it isn't a comfort car, or a sports sedan.

I'm just trying to change or reduce the bumpiness, to make it family friendly. I figured changing tires?
I have a JL Rubicon and I drive it 60 miles a day and already have close to 10k miles on it and it is great as a daily driver even with the tires that came on it. If you have not driven one yet I suggest you do. You might answer your own question. Itā€™s a great vehicle. Enjoy it!

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
My JLUR is a daily driver and my kids LUV it. My wife & I drive into work together every day. Having said that, I do prefer my wifeā€™s Mercedes for long road trips though...hard to beat the ventilated seats & radar-enabled cruise control

P.S. Stock tires are great on road
My SO just asked to drive it to work today. Claims she hasn't driven it in a while. She took it to work the week before and has used it before/after work about 6 of the last 7 days. :facepalm:

Similarly she has a more comfortable long range SUV, but wants to drive mine around town all the time (MT JLUR).

OP
OP

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I use my Rubi as a daily driver and it's fine. Get the Sahara unless you don't really want the capabilities of the Rubi.
If the Sahara had the aesthetics, and aggressive look like the Rubicon, I would definitely see that as an option, but Rubicon is just way better overall...

OP
OP

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Also look into the Moab edition. Most of the Rubi looks, but a little less of the hardware underneath.

Post above beat me to my thoughts as I was typing.

Oh my gosh...the Moab is literally a Sahara, with Rubicon aesthetics....I'm reading about it, this seems like a special edition...

Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Oh my gosh...the Moab is literally a Sahara, with Rubicon aesthetics....I'm reading about it, this seems like a special edition...
I have one of the first Moabā€™s (arrived 2 weeks ago). Love it! And based on what youā€™re looking for, itā€™s def worth considering. DM me if you want any details

D5D8E049-F12D-407B-A97F-9CB1BAED4747.jpeg

OP
OP

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I literally did not expect this much support/replies/mix feelings on the this topic.

Thanks all for your responses.

No, I have not test driven the Rubicon, however I have test driven the JLU Sport S trim 2.0L Turbo..(has a sick punch to it...FYI)

I'm going to assume the Rubicon drives way different as it has a different suspension.

I'm actuallly doing some duo diligence on the Moab edition, as it's probably suit my needs.

I guess if I'm paying 55k+ for a fully loaded Rubicon, without ever going off-roading, seems like a waste heh....

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
My only issue with the MOAB IMO is that it is auto-only. I'd have gone for it if they offered it with the MT.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Definitely look into it. You have said you donā€™t need the lower gearing, lockers, etc but want Rubi looks.... sounds like a Moab customer to me.
Sponsored