Sponsored

Using a Rubicon as a daily driver

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Hella Yella Rubicon
I'll be daily driving mine as well. My boyfriend's car is about to die so he'll take my other car. I have a 14 Mustang that gets about 22-23 mpg and the Rubi gets about 18-20 right now so not that much of a difference. Plus, it's so fun to drive! And I only work 3 days a week so it's not as much wear and tear on the vehicle. If I have to drive a lot I'll probably take the mustang since his commute is a little shorter. For reference, I'm about 50 miles round trip.
Sponsored

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Mojito and Punk'n both have grey dashes in the Rubicons. Also the dash can be easily painted.

Longislandwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Hey guys,

I plan on ordering a 2019 Rubicon in a few months, and also plan on using it as a daily driver...

I do understand that Rubicon is made for off-roading, but do you guys think I can purchase "less" rugged tires and swap my Rubi tires out with them?
I just took delivery on my 2nd Rubicon and they’ve both been my daily driver. The new JL is even nicer than my 2013 JK. I have the stock tires and can easily cruise on the highway at 80+ MPH

mrmarco21

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON JL 4 DOOR
Occupation
QA Aircraft Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

I plan on ordering a 2019 Rubicon in a few months, and also plan on using it as a daily driver...

I do understand that Rubicon is made for off-roading, but do you guys think I can purchase "less" rugged tires and swap my Rubi tires out with them?
I LOVE MY JLUR. IT'S MY DAILY DRIVER AND I HAVE PRO COMPS MT AND THEY WORK WELL. I LOVE IT.

achaffee86

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've been daily driving my JLUR since August. Installed a new front bumper and winch on top of a 2.5" lift kit. Still drives like its stock which is perfect for me. I was nervous as well when I was researching to buy the JLUR because people complained about ride quality and steering constantly. Now that I have it, I have no clue what they're talking about. I love this thing.

Sponsored

AK0311

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me: 17 Renegade, Wife: 12 Journey, Kids: 09 Avenger Want: JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I’m ordering a JLUR in a few weeks. I also plan to use it as a daily driver, but I currently average 100 miles a week or less. It’s replacing an 07 Ram 2500 I bought new in 07 and a couple 4 wheelers. I imagine it’ll ride better than those.

The stock tires look like the ones that came on my Ram new. They were decent enough that I used the same ones for the first replacement on the truck. I’d still have those except I got a screaming deal on some Toyo’s A while back. The last set is still mounted on the factory chrome wheels and I take a few as spares when I leave town. They worked decent in snow and ice and many dirt/gravel roads in Alaska. Never went off road in that 22’ long monster, but I’m looking forward to going in my Jeep next year.

WhatILoveDoing.biz

First Name
Norma &Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.WhatILikeDoing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Mentor & Entrepreneur
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all your input, haha cause I was ready to blow 1k on new tires for comfort purposes...

But if ya'll all claim its going to drive just fine, then I guess nothing to worry about.

(Yes, i'll be one of those driving this car for pure looks, alpha, and aesthetics -- and dont plan to take it off road, hell i live in NYC)

I have a Sport but it came with 35’s. My husband would have preferred Rubicon tires with the smaller wheel but it’s came all together this way with a 2” Lift. I got mine with 75 miles on it JLU... the diff between JK & JL makes this new model perfect for daily driver. And everyone loves the look of the larger tires/wheels. I have now over 18,000 miles in just 4 months!!! So drive it Daily and smile your ass off! You’ll love it. The tires have saved me as one person launched their grocery cart at me and luckily it hit those tires. Then 2 people have hit my tires as they parked next to me. Crazy 3 bumps saved by tires in 4 months.

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all your input, haha cause I was ready to blow 1k on new tires for comfort purposes...

But if ya'll all claim its going to drive just fine, then I guess nothing to worry about.

(Yes, i'll be one of those driving this car for pure looks, alpha, and aesthetics -- and dont plan to take it off road, hell i live in NYC)
Traded in my JL Sahara a month ago for a Rubicon, honestly...no difference in the ride to me.

tluke

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler, Mercedes ML550, Corvette, Polaris Slingshot & Honda CRF250L
My JL Rubicon is my daily driver and if you are looking for a civilized ride, this sure has it. It's way more quiet and smoother riding than my 2013 JK Sport was. I really like the ride.

Sponsored

Lizzy

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Rubicon
My JL Rubicon is my daily driver and if you are looking for a civilized ride, this sure has it. It's way more quiet and smoother riding than my 2013 JK Sport was. I really like the ride.
My Rubicon goes off road quite bit,but more so in the winter.Our winters up here are brutal.Lots of snow and minus 30-40 a lot of the time.The wife has a firecracker Red 2018 Sahara that she drives 5 days a week about 100 miles return,and have never heard a complaint about the ride from her.So that's great.We've had four other wranglers before and these one's are the best by far.Best ride,best fuel economy,and both loaded with lots of options.The only complaint is they are pricey.

Drummer_G

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, Black, Freedom Top, 3.6L, Auto, steel bumper,
Occupation
Musician / Personal Trainer
I love the 33” K02’s. Great ride. I had these same tires on my Ram 1500 and loved them. I do want to go to 35s next but these are great.

tjrider99

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Subaru, Harley-Davidson Street Glide
I literally did not expect this much support/replies/mix feelings on the this topic.

Thanks all for your responses.

No, I have not test driven the Rubicon, however I have test driven the JLU Sport S trim 2.0L Turbo..(has a sick punch to it...FYI)

I'm going to assume the Rubicon drives way different as it has a different suspension.

I'm actuallly doing some duo diligence on the Moab edition, as it's probably suit my needs.

I guess if I'm paying 55k+ for a fully loaded Rubicon, without ever going off-roading, seems like a waste heh....
The Rubicon is the best bang for the buck when you consider all the extras you get with the Rubicon trim. Heavier axles, brakes, gears, tires...etc. It's my daily driver and it drives freaking awesome! Buy one and you'll never regret it!

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My wife drives it every day 8 miles to school she is a teacher. That being said we have went on multiple road trips 3- 8 hrs. It has been great not as much room as the excursion, but we are happy with the comfort level and the FUN level is awesome!!

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Hey guys,

I have a JL Rubicon 2dr that I also use as a daily driver. The BFG KO2s have done very well on it. I have the same on my Gen 2 Raptor and actually had put a set on my old 4Runner. They seemed to be a great balance between on road and off road. Had over 40,000 on my Gen 1 Raptor before I had to replace them and they still had plenty of tread left. Thy developed some cracks in the grooves while it sat during a 12 month deployment. With the KO2s at 40psi I'm averaging 21.5 mpg in combination city/highway driving with the top down. Just my thoughts.
Sponsored