Upgrade to a JT?

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
I guess I’m downgrading then. I’m going from a diesel Rubicon Gladiator “down” to another 2 door manual JL Rubicon with a V6. Many would be like, man that’s crazy. But there is just no getting around how a 2 door Wrangler has soul and is such a joy to drive not only on the street, but just so much more capable off-road right out of the box. Nothing wrong with the Gladiator at all, but it just lacks the soul of a Wrangler, especially the 2 door.
Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I'm at the point where all this "soul" talk about the 2-door is really starting to sound like a bunch of desperate middle-aged dudes convincing themselves their hairline is still impeccable.

I have a JLU and my sis has a JL. I drive hers all the time and don't feel any more "soul" to it than driving mine. The only thing I prefer in her JL is that she has crank windows. I miss those so much.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Jeepers are fixated with crank windows... :LOL:

The reality is, if we go back far enough, Jeeps didn’t even have windows...or doors for that matter.

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to a JT? 1613144738155

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Just buy a trailer and save $50k
Beat me to it. I always tell people that with a truck you're hauling sailboat fuel around most of the time. A trailer is easier to load and unload too and you're not as concerned dumping a load of gravel into a trailer as you would be the bed of your truck.

Sponsored

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
I'm at the point where all this "soul" talk about the 2-door is really starting to sound like a bunch of desperate middle-aged dudes convincing themselves their hairline is still impeccable.

I have a JLU and my sis has a JL. I drive hers all the time and don't feel any more "soul" to it than driving mine. The only thing I prefer in her JL is that she has crank windows. I miss those so much.
It’s a Jeep thing, you wouldn’t understand.

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I guess here is my question. It seems like the Gladiator isn't selling as much as Chrysler hoped. Are there really good incentives to get one or are they being highly discounted? Money can always sway opinion. ;) Hell when I go to order my JLU eventually I may poke around and ask about the Gladiator too just to see if I could possibly get a better deal with one of those.

I think they look a little awkward in person, and I like that actually. I have always been "attracted" to cars a lot of people would find ugly though, Honda Element, Pontiac Aztek, Subaru Baja, etc.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I guess I’m downgrading then. I’m going from a diesel Rubicon Gladiator “down” to another 2 door manual JL Rubicon with a V6. Many would be like, man that’s crazy. But there is just no getting around how a 2 door Wrangler has soul and is such a joy to drive not only on the street, but just so much more capable off-road right out of the box. Nothing wrong with the Gladiator at all, but it just lacks the soul of a Wrangler, especially the 2 door.
I started wheeling in the 80's and stuck with a CJ5 until 97 and then went with a TJ with one tons, atlas, and a supercharger. The TJ is great in tight NW trails or some of the trails I ran in the NE with trees all over the place. Here in Denver the trails around here and Moab are not as tight. I found the short wheel base to be a bit too short for many of the ledges and was looking at the cost to stretch it out. To do it right, I was looking at 15-20k. On top of that, my daughters have all gotten older and don't squeeze into the back seat like they did when they were young. I fought getting the JK, but when the JL came out and I saw how well it did on the trail right out of the box, I started to lean that direction. I had a BMW M5 that I was not using enough that I wanted to sell for something that I would feel more comfortable driving around and parking anywhere. At the same time someone offered me over 20k for my TJ. Traded the M5 for a JLUR and am using the 20k to build up the JL. Wheelbase is almost perfect and I can fit my daughters in it if they want to join. An added bonus is that it is easier to drive than the TJ with 5-speed so they are able to drive it as well.

Not sure there is a perfect, do everything vehicle. The JL seems to be the king right now at hauling a couple of people off road (we will see how the Bronco does). I would agree that if you want a pickup bed and an off roader that the JT is the best out there. I just wish it had some more towing power. If they put the Hemi in it and boost the towing capacity to 9-10k, I will buy one to haul my JL on a trailer behind.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
People are forgetting some of the obvious benefits the JT has over th JL. No JT has a garbage front axle. They all have the bigger brakes. The aux switch upgrade is $500 cheaper, and if you get the soft top, you only have 1 plastic window to deal with instead of 3. My JT stickered at $1000 less than a JLU with nearly identical equipment..

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I guess here is my question. It seems like the Gladiator isn't selling as much as Chrysler hoped. Are there really good incentives to get one or are they being highly discounted? Money can always sway opinion. ;) Hell when I go to order my JLU eventually I may poke around and ask about the Gladiator too just to see if I could possibly get a better deal with one of those.

I think they look a little awkward in person, and I like that actually. I have always been "attracted" to cars a lot of people would find ugly though, Honda Element, Pontiac Aztek, Subaru Baja, etc.
If you're into awkward, take the doors and top off of the Gladiator. It's plain fugly stripped down.

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
I see a lot of JTs on the road. I understand that some folks like them, but they're not for me. I see a Jeep that can't do what a Jeep does, and a truck that can't do what a truck does...
What CAN'T a JT do that other midsized trucks CAN do?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
People are forgetting some of the obvious benefits the JT has over th JL. No JT has a garbage front axle. They all have the bigger brakes. The aux switch upgrade is $500 cheaper, and if you get the soft top, you only have 1 plastic window to deal with instead of 3. My JT stickered at $1000 less than a JLU with nearly identical equipment..
Pickup trucks always retail for less than SUVs. Just take a look at Ford, Chevy or Toyota: their pickups are all priced below their SUVs.

Interestingly, FCA launched JT with a $3,000 premium over a comparably equipped JL. But over the past year, FCA kept jacking up JL prices every couple months, while it placed JT on Employee Pricing. Now, FCA prices JT below JL, just like every other automaker.

The bottom line is this: consumers overall, perceive Gladiator to have more direct competition than Wrangler.

Of course that may all change the day Bronco finally comes out...circa 2035 at this rate.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
When we first moved into our house, I REALLY missed having a truck the first few years, since that's when you're doing a lot of large item projects and purchases. If you want a Jeep but need a truck, seems like JT is a smart option for you.

Your reasoning on a JT sounds logical for your situation, try not to let the internet influence you too much ;) You'll be able to park a JT, it'll probably still be really fun offroad, and it'll be really handy on home depot runs. If you don't need a truck anymore a few years down the line, trade it in for a JL!

bkgray115

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Just buy a trailer and save $50k
One problem with that. I got a 2 door rubi this time and went and bought a aluminium trailer. thinking I can just deal with the 2500 tow rating BUT turns out the 2 door JL Rubi with wider axles then the JK lost 500 lbs on the tow rating. I never even thought to look so when I go and pick up 1 ton of coal I am over weight!
Sponsored